Marantz M-CR603 - Had my first listen.

Well only in the shop, so not a proper dem. It was hooked to dinky pair of Q-Acoustcs speakers and sounded fine. It would be unfair to give it a full review, but it was alright.

Couldn't believe how small it was. Certainly if I was looking for a second system it would deserve serious consideration.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'd rather try it with DB1is.

I doubt you'll like it. It's full of what you call 'modtech', has a class D amp, needs ethernet connection for best results from streaming etc. and really comes into it's own with iDevices and AirPlay. Doesn't sound like your 'bag' at all.

I don't give a damn about 'modtech', initially, but if it has a good FM tuner and sounds right... Couldn't justify DB1is and a new all-in-one (car and van MOT due within the next month and a half).

I know you rate it against the Nait 5i but I know from several home and shop dems the Pulse is a pretty decent leap up on the Naim.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I know you rate it against the Nait 5i...

No. At least not as an equivalent.

I had a Nait 5i/CD5i/NAT05 based system but preferred to downsize/de-clutter as you know.

I accepted and expected a drop in outright sound quality which I got. (Of course.)

However, as I said at the time, the drop in sound quality was nowhere near as much as I expected and is of a level that I am still entirely satisfied by.

I would still consider a NaimUniti (original or Mk2) an upgrade of course. To think otherwise would be daft.

I don't think you are going to achieve much by ending this exercise with... "Leema amp beats £480 all-in-one" because people (including myself) will just say... "Well durrhh!"

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
I know you rate it against the Nait 5i...

No. At least not as an equivalent.

I don't think you are going to achieve much by ending this exercise with... "Leema amp beats £480 all-in-one" because people (including myself) will just say... "Well durrhh!"

No. Don't want a Leema v Marantz comparison, that's why I worded it such a way. I'm sure the little Marantz won't compete in outright SQ.

When I took little'un to the park in Reigate, afterwards we popped into Richer Sounds and had a quick browse. It so happened they had this Marantz - Mrs. P has been badgering me to downsize for years - playing, hooked to some Q Acoustics 2020i (?) and the size would thrill the OH.

Anyway little'un was irritable after a morning in the sun... as it happened the guy in the shop let me play with the Marantz for a while, and it sounded fine (had nothing to compare it with, though), hence the question.

I appreciate it may not control the RS6 as well as the Leema, but I generally play at low to medium levels, so shouldn't be too much of a handicap, given my 40 watt Arcams controlled the speakers well enough.

I was immensely taken by the size of it...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Given your lack of any need for iThings/apps/AirPlay/streaming etc. why not look at (ex-demo/bargain/used from a dealer) Arcam Solos?

(Not the Solo-Mini but the 'full-fat' Solos.)

They should be ok with your speakers - at the reasonable levels you described - and have the 'house sound' you are used to.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
That's okay. I've listened to the original Solo (not Neo) and wasn't quite as good as my A65+.

Sorry I meant the Neo.

What Hi-fi? noted the improvement over the original Solo...

"The Neo sounds more neutral than the original Solo, and delivers greater agility, punch and dynamic expression than before."

Given that they, typically, sell for £849 - £899 (and had an original RRP of £1350), I'd say it's definitely worth another look.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Richer Sounds sell the Neo for £899, but given Andrew's review - and the dinky size - I was hoping for a 'wife pacification' solution, in the shape of the Marantz.

I may just ask for a proper dem and I can decide for myself.

Ok. I didn't realise you actually wanted some kind of solution.

I thought you just wanted to assess it so you could compare it to your seperates system out of curiosity.

I must admit too that part of me thought you were on a bit of a 'de-bunking' mission because the M-CR603 has had a - largely - good press and you have been a pretty vociferous supporter of mixed make 'traditional' seperates.

Sorry for that thought.

Ok, yes I think a serious home demo of the M-CR603 is worthwhile so long as you approach it as an incredibly good, £500 mini-system/all-in-one rather than something that will slay your Leema.

I have no knowledge of the RS6s so I can't comment on what works best with them. On paper they are 91dB (6 ohms) and MA recommend amps of 40 - 120wpc so the M-CR603 should - in theory - drive them ok. My Rega R3s are 89dB (6 ohms) and have a power rating of 100wpc and I don't have any compatibility problems at all. But then my definition of reasonable/moderate volume levels may be completely different to yours. (Some people think 'moderate' volume is when your ears merely hurt rather than bleed!)

It certainly is genuine. Don't get me wrong the OH isn't constantly harking on about a smaller hi-fi. Every now and again she brings the subject up - usually after browsing thru the WHFI? mag - "that would look good over there...". You know the 'spousal' lines, so really curiosity has turned to a (mmm) maybe, although I do love my current set-up.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hi pp for what its worth i had a listen to cr603 at the richer sounds in norwich running a pair of dali zensor 5 and it sounded tremendous , detailed powerful yet smooth i was very surprised and despite my last post of considering the pearl lite combo still thinking of going down this one box route as im fed up with all the boxes and cable faff ,, hope this helps

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
audioaddict said:
hi pp for what its worth i had a listen to cr603 at the richer sounds in norwich running a pair of dali zensor 5 and it sounded tremendous , detailed powerful yet smooth i was very surprised and despite my last post of considering the pearl lite combo still thinking of going down this one box route as im fed up with all the boxes and cable faff ,, hope this helps

Given the calibre of the equipment listed in your signature system, that is quite a recommendation!

(I really ought to try my M-CR603 with some PMC DB1s one day and see what 'potential' I might be missing out on.)

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
couldnt believe what i was listening too chebby sounded blimmin awsome . there was another bloke in the shop buyin some cables and even he had to turn around and see what was makin such a lovely sound he was amazed also there was just such power and detail i mite get one o a weeks demo with my cm1s and see how it pans out. i think i read on another thread though that a replacement bound to come out at some point, a ki signature version woud be awsome

TRENDING THREADS