Marantz M-CR603 + AirTunes

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi all.

I'm about to get a Marantz M-CR603 which I hope to use mainly for streaming music from my Mac, via AirTunes and an Airport Express (which I bought a while ago to use with my old Denon amp). Does anyone know if this will work or will it interfere with the AirPlay option that Marantz offer?

I also have pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s, can the Marantz handle anything better? I like quite a crisp, bright sound and don't need especially deep or powerful bass due to size of living room.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

I think I would just use the built in AirPlay functionality of the Marantz to be honest! Maybe use the airport express to give it an internet feed, if you dont have any other way of wiring up the Marantz with ethernet...

Also yes, the Marantz will happily drive better speakers than the Diamonds. A colleague has it with the Dynaudio Excite 12's and it sounds great. Perhaps something from Monitor Audio would be 'brighter'?

According to the spec sheet you can also Bi-Amp, which i would suggest trying out.

:cheers:

A

Anonymous

I think I would just use the built in AirPlay functionality of the Marantz to be honest! Maybe use the airport express to give it an internet feed, if you dont have any other way of wiring up the Marantz with ethernet...

Also yes, the Marantz will happily drive better speakers than the Diamonds. A colleague has it with the Dynaudio Excite 12's and it sounds great. Perhaps something from Monitor Audio would be 'brighter'?

According to the spec sheet you can also Bi-Amp, which i would suggest trying out.

:cheers:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think you'll find AirPlay is a more recent incarnation of AirTunes (which was audio only) and you won't need the Airport Express - for the Marantz - once you have downloaded Airplay to it (assuming you have the Marantz connected to your wireless internet router with an ethernet cable.)

AirPlay is currently free from Marantz (it cost £39 before) so it's probably worth getting the M-CR603 soon.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
brilliant, thanks for the tips. the marantz won't be plugged directly into my wireless router, that's in a different room. will i still need the airport express then?

and those momnitor audios look awesome, cheers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bartlett23 said:
... the marantz won't be plugged directly into my wireless router, that's in a different room. will i still need the airport express then?

With or without AirPlay, the Marantz will need to be connected to your wireless router with ethernet or homeplugs or similar.

Even without AirPlay this is how it connects for software/firmware downloads and for internet radio.

XMB

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
I am getting the Marantz MCR603 on Saturday and can't see the point in buying such a well connected device unless you get it connected onto your network! How else will you enjoy all the streaming functions this unit provides.

For most the biggest issue is the lack of a Wi-Fi built in requiring either an ethernet cable (and be close enough to your router), some home-plugs or a Wi-Fi to Ethernet converter. In the past I have used the Edimax EW-7228APn as this gives good results and includes a 4 port switch.

A

Anonymous

I use a Netgear universal ethernet bridge and have NO issues whatsoever with wifi etc...

For the price you can get the Marantz for now, IMO, it's still unbeatable!

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
when i get the marantz, i'll be hooking it up to an airport express that is currently hooked up to my denon amp.

the bloke in sevenoaks assures me that i can then use an ethernet connection to connect it to the airport and my wireless network.

had a listen to the manarantz with a pair of MA BX1s the other day. wow.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
You can use the airport express as a WiFi Bridge I did this for a while with my 603, but unless they have very good wifi coverage you may find you get audio drop outs (I Did), in the end I bought a Pair of powerline plugs, they work really well never get dropouts, you do need 2 spaer sockets (NOT on extension leads) for powerline adapters.

I drive a Pair of Old B&W 603s2 from my Marantz it does it with ease I have only single wired did not bother bi Amping.

I use the Airport Express Wired to Ethernet now to give me HiFi in another room and also to give me another wireless network in the house.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
bartlett23 said:
I also have pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s, can the Marantz handle anything better?

Much

bartlett23 said:
I like quite a crisp, bright sound and don't need especially deep or powerful bass due to size of living room.

Monitor Audio RX1s would fit the bill nicely.

ok, brilliant. that's my christmas present sorted :) will the monitor audios sound ok if close to a back wall? i think they're rear ported aren't they? my diamonds are front ported

cheers

A

Anonymous

They will as they can be tuned with their port bungs

You could also consider the B&W 685's or the Monitor Audio BX2's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts