Hi,

I've had this in storage for years and it is now not working - absolute silence from the RCA and headphone outputs but the disc is being read and is spinning. I've not tested the digital output. Does this sound like something that is repairable?

Thanks!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Difficult to say without opening it up. Could be a loose connection somewhere, dry joints, or something in the DAC/analogue circuitry might have gone kaput. Remember you pop the lid at your own risk. Unlike amps, at least there aren't any huge reservoir caps in CD players waiting to blow your fingers across the room, even with the thing unplugged. But if you don't know your arse from your elbow when it comes to electronics, you're better taking it to someone who does.

Good luck. Nice player.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
First thing to do is see if it works with an external dac. If it does not it could be the laser, can be repaired but not sure its worth it. Fidelity Audio do repairs and upgrades if you want to go down that route, they are based near Doncaster. You can send them an email.

K

keeper of the quays

Blacksabbath25 said:
Depends but just an idea how cold was your attic ? as the laser lens would of been cold and the unit would have to get to room temperature before you plugged it in and started it up again 
+1 very good advice..when I fetched my Sony cdp down from the attic the cd drawer wouldn't open..after a hour it moved a bit..after four hours half out then by next day working properly again.

TrevC

Courtney Reece said:
Hi,

I've had this in storage for years and it is now not working - absolute silence from the RCA and headphone outputs but the disc is being read and is spinning. I've not tested the digital output. Does this sound like something that is repairable?

Thanks!

Try leaving it powered up for a day or two. It may come back to life. I would say it's not worth repairing.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Depends but just an idea how cold was your attic ? as the laser lens would of been cold and the unit would have to get to room temperature before you plugged it in and started it up again
+1 very good advice..when I fetched my Sony cdp down from the attic the cd drawer wouldn't open..after a hour it moved a bit..after four hours half out then by next day working properly again.

He said it was reading the CD but was silent. Therefore that side of it is working. Still, something may well pop back into life after a few days.

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Courtney Reece said:
Hi,

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat with the same gear. There is no back-up official service available without paying a lot for a diagnosis.

I've found a highlty qualified tech in the NW who's happy to have a look without a high pre-charge for doing so. My brother also has a friend who's an amp builder who's suggested trying to find an amp with an optical line in & running a line from the CD to the amp direct off the laser to see if there's any signal.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Usually when the laser's gone it won't even spin up, because it can't detect the disc. Same thing if there motor's a bit lazy. If the disc is spinning and the time on the display is advancing then a fault on the laser/reading side of things can be ruled out, because the display is driven by timecodes read from the disc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts