Marantz CD6005 suitable for me? (re: FLAC, listening habits)

lorettasscars

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Bit of a beginner who's been paralysed by indecision for a while now. Want to purchase a system for listening to music (currently listen to everything on headphones). I think an all-in-one system might be the best job and the Marantz CD6005 looks tempting.

Some details:

- ideally i want to get a turntable as well and link it up to the Marantz. (any advice here appreciated)

- I imagine my listening would be something like 70% digital files, 20% vinyl, 10% CD player - as such it sort of seems silly that I'm buying a CD player, but it does seem handy in terms of an all-in-one system (USB port, turntable compatibility). Would there be a better option I haven't considered?

- Much of the stuff I download is in FLAC form, but I've gotten into the habit of converting it so it'll play on my ipod. I convert to Apple Lossless , specifically .m4a. I think Apple Lossless is compatible with the Marantz CD6005, but could anyone confirm that .m4a files in particular will work on the system?

- i like bass.

Thanks if you've taken the time to read this, hopefully I'm not being too green

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Just to clarify do you think that the cd6005 is an all in one system? It's a CD player only and will need to be linked up to a seperate amp such as the marantz pm6005.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Leaving the model names out for a moment to avoid any confusion...

you say you'd like to set up a system for home listening. Your budget will largely dictate this but most 'all in one' systems will not cater for your turntable without a separate phono stage - and to be honest it's probably not worth playing vinyl through the cheaper ones (they start from £200)

what it sounds like you need is an amplifier with a phono stage (a Marantz would be good here) built in, a music streamer for your FLACs (or a DAC from your computer) and either a CD or decent universal player. All this lot will cost you around a grand though I would say with some speakers, even if you shop carefully.

incidentally I have a Cambridge Audio 740C CD player/DAC for sale if you're interested? That would tick two of your boxes?

matthewpiano

Marantz M-CR610. Every bit as good an amplifier as any of the budget integrateds and nearly all the functionality you want built-in. Simply plug an external phono stage in to one of the analogue inputs for your turntable. I use a Cambridge Audio one and it is hidden out of view. Sounds superb.

If you get speakers as well simply go for some that give you the sort of sound you want. B&W 685s should do the trick as you say you like a bassy sound.

NICKO

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that m4a files will play. I just copied a load of files straight out of my iTunes/Music folder onto a USB stick. They were all m4a and played fine. It is a brilliant CD player. Great sound, and the usefulness of that USB function is just amazing. I don't think it plays FLAC though. I don't have any FLACs so can't test it.

NICKO said:
I can confirm that m4a files will play. I just copied a load of files straight out of my iTunes/Music folder onto a USB stick. They were all m4a and played fine. It is a brilliant CD player. Great sound, and the usefulness of that USB function is just amazing. I don't think it plays FLAC though. I don't have any FLACs so can't test it.

You are right about the FLAC files. If the OP wants to play these then the (matthewpiano) suggested M-CR610 is a much better bet.

Incredible Sammy

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I am curious to know the best way of getting sound from both my PS3 & Samsung UE40D5520RK tv connected via a Virgin 1Tb Tivo box with a HDMI cable, running through my newly purchased Marantz PM6005. My tv is wall mounted and approx sits approx 1.40mtr to the right of my hi-fi set up. The axis from the optical connector on the amplifier to the tv is again approx 1.10mtr lower than the optical point on the tv. My fiancee refuses to have anymore trailing cables on our accent wall. I currently have an optical cable going from the amplifier to the Tivo box and this works just dandy. Although my PS3 is on the HDMI2 port of my tv and I am worried that by switching the cable each time I want to play a different source I may damage my four day old system. Now to the CD6005. I am able to play a Sony NWZ-S545 MP4 player through its USB port not sure whether as wma,mp4 or Aatrac. However I cannot get the USB port of the CD6005 to recognise when I have either of my Samsungs Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) or Tab 10.1 (GT-P7500) connected. I only bought the hi-fi purely to play my cd's but with features like these readily available, I may as well take advantage and as an old audiophile join my kids into the modern world. If anyone can help me play my music files purchased through Google Play store through my current set up, I'd be delighted to be enlightened. Marantz PM6005, CD6005, Atlas Element Interconnect, Audioquest FLX/SLiP 14/4 bi-wired to Q Acoustics Concept 20 on dedicated stands.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts