Question Marantz CD6003 playback problem.

johnmsgmccormack

May 18, 2023
Visit site
Hello to everyone, and than you for any help you can give me with my question.

I have a 13 year old Marantz CD6003 compact disc player, which I have had no issue with from new until the past fortnight. It has started to not play the 1st track of audio CDRs that I have made on my home PC - both recently made and discs from several years ago - the older discs previously played without issue. It will play the 2nd track on the disc if you press to play that track, and then autoplays the remaining tracks. It has now started to not play audio CDRs that I bought at gigs / concerts, although these were previously played without issue. None of the discs are dirty, warped, etc. The display screen shows 'track 1' and the disc play indicator arrow, but the disc just seems to keep spinning without playing the music track. I read the manual troubleshooting page about disc playback and known issues with CDR / CD-RW discs, but found no answer to my problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to resolve this?

jon

johnmsgmccormack

May 18, 2023
Visit site
Yes it does, except for one particular disc I bought in 2018: ''Arne Domnérus And His Orchestra 1950-51, With Rolf Ericson''. Track 1 of that CD will not play. However I ripped a copy onto a CD-R audio disc of all the tracks and the CDR played correctly from track 1. Will have to dig out this CDR and try it now.

Yes it does, except for one particular disc I bought in 2018: ''Arne Domnérus And His Orchestra 1950-51, With Rolf Ericson''. Track 1 of that CD will not play. However I ripped a copy onto a CD-R audio disc of all the tracks and the CDR played correctly from track 1. Will have to dig out this CDR and try it now.
Ok, so it’s most likely something unique to CD-R discs then, which is not my subject really. Otherwise I’d have speculated that the arm or track that the laser moves along has got dried out lube on it.

I’ve heard of that issue, but in any event trying to clean the laser is always worth a go. Best find a YouTube guide for it, unless you know what you’re doing, or have a cleaning disc - Allsop make a good one.

Reactions: Al ears

johnmsgmccormack

May 18, 2023
Visit site
I tried the Domnerus CDR copy this morning, on returning home after busy NHS nightshift, Oddly enough it played with no issue. I have used different CD ripping / disc making programs over the years and have excluded the programs as a possible cause, since all the CDRs (both old and new) play on the family's personal players / car CD player, just not on my Marantz. Plus the regular Domnerus disc plays in the family's players...
I have used a good quality disc cleaner so will try a couple more cleanings to see if that makes a difference

Reactions: Al ears
I tried the Domnerus CDR copy this morning, on returning home after busy NHS nightshift, Oddly enough it played with no issue. I have used different CD ripping / disc making programs over the years and have excluded the programs as a possible cause, since all the CDRs (both old and new) play on the family's personal players / car CD player, just not on my Marantz. Plus the regular Domnerus disc plays in the family's players...
I have used a good quality disc cleaner so will try a couple more cleanings to see if that makes a difference
If it is really gunked up then a normal laser cleaner will make no difference.
Having said that, if it was, it wouldn't play any discs first track.
As far as I recall recorded discs have to be finalised properly otherwise the player doesn't know the end so the same might be true of the beginning.
If it plays all normal music CDs then the self -recording processes might be the issue.

johnmsgmccormack

May 18, 2023
Visit site
I'm sure that your correct about discs being finalised and not playing correctly. This fits in with a Doctor Who DVD that my son bought, perhaps 10 years ago, which was recalled due to finalising problems and would not play one of the episodes.

Visiting my parents for the weekend, so I think that I shall ask my father if he can let me burn a disc from his Windows PC to test out the self-recording process possibility.

What I can't figure out is why the CDRs will not play on the Marantz, but do play on the lower specification players either in my wife's car or the family's budget players. Possible an error-correction issue with the Marantz?

johnmsgmccormack

May 18, 2023
Visit site
Have tried a CDR ripped and burnt from a PC that is not mine, and it too does not play on my CD player. So the issue is with the CD payer and not the burner, as I had suspected.

johnmsgmccormack

May 18, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

Yes it does, except for one particular disc I bought in 2018: ''Arne Domnérus And His Orchestra 1950-51, With Rolf Ericson''. Track 1 of that CD will not play. However I ripped a copy onto a CD-R audio disc of all the tracks and the CDR played correctly from track 1.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Take it some where to be serviced, it probably needs some tlc on the moving parts, a dab of grease here and there. It’s probably all dried up maybe some dust on the mechs and so on . It will be cheaper than buying a new player especially if you’re confident enough to do it yourself.

johnmsgmccormack

May 18, 2023
Visit site
''If you are handy with a screwdriver you can get replacement laser units for less than £20. Worth a shot perhaps? There really isn't a lot inside the box.''

Unfortunately, due to arthritic hands - old orthopaedic injuries always come back to bite you in later years - I don't have the dexterity for fiddly / fine finger motor skills. However, there is a local, long established, well regarded electronics repair shop in the town nearest my home. So, I might take the player to the chap who owns the repair shop and ask him to give the player a service.

Thanks again to everyone for suggestions / solutions.

jon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts