Marantz CD56 - Right Channel Fault

benham3160

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have an ancient Marantz CD56 (mid-80s Marantz CD player, swing-arm jobbie) and I have a problem with a quiet and distorted right channel.

Initially I thought it was my crappy Acoustic Solutions amp misbehaving (phono stage is awful, I blame it for most ills in the world) but after trying a different channel on the amp, and swapping cables the fault lies squarely with the CD player.

I know the obvious answer is to bin it, or replace it with something better BUT it's of huge sentimental importance to me, and this unit has provided family members with music for countless thousands of hours.

Any pointers on fixing it (I am a training instrumentation engineer, so I have basic electronics/soldering/'scope/multimeter skills) or pointing me in the direction of somebody who would be able to fix it for me!

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,
Andy

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
benham3160 said:
Hi all,

I have an ancient Marantz CD56 (mid-80s Marantz CD player, swing-arm jobbie) and I have a problem with a quiet and distorted right channel.

Initially I thought it was my crappy Acoustic Solutions amp misbehaving (phono stage is awful, I blame it for most ills in the world) but after trying a different channel on the amp, and swapping cables the fault lies squarely with the CD player.

I know the obvious answer is to bin it, or replace it with something better BUT it's of huge sentimental importance to me, and this unit has provided family members with music for countless thousands of hours.

Any pointers on fixing it (I am a training instrumentation engineer, so I have basic electronics/soldering/'scope/multimeter skills) or pointing me in the direction of somebody who would be able to fix it for me!

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,
Andy

I would try phoning Steve, from Steve's hifi-- now closed down. phone number is still available ...he might give you some pointers

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
benham3160 said:
It's quite possibly just a dry joint on the circuitboard where the socket is soldered. I've fixed the same on both a Technics SLP-777 and Marantz CD-52II.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Does this model use transistors for output muting ? as they are a well know problem across many makes and models.

If in doubt just remove them and see if fault cleared. Also as you have a scope, look at the audio on the output of the opamp stages after the DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts