Marantz CD Player choice

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I ave been considering again upgrading my Marantz CD 6000 ose as its remote control now no longer works as well as it being quite old now.

I was considering the MARANTZ CD6006 Black CD or MARANTZ CD5005 Black CD and now there is the 6006SE UK as well. I use mostly itunes to listen to my music and sometimes for conveience an Amazon echo and echo dot.

Would it be worthwhile to spend the extra on the 6006 or 6006SEUK or get the 5005 while still avaiable for the more limited cd listening i do nowadays?

Thanks

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
on ebay if your cd player is still working ok.

If you still want to upgrade then I would go for the 5005, as you say your cd listening is limited so I don't think you need to spend the extra money.

*music2*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Personally I'd ask yourself if it's worth buying a player at all. If you usually listen to lossless rips and other sources, the £450 you could spend buying the 6006UK Edition buys an awful lot of CDs and beer.

jjbomber

beaker_07 said:
Would it be worthwhile to spend the extra on the 6006 or 6006SEUK or get the 5005 while still avaiable for the more limited cd listening i do nowadays?

Neither, given that you have a great DVD player that is already connected to the amp. Just use that for playing the occasional CD.

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys - I'll either not bother or get the 5005 if it is reduced any further - the problem with the remote control seems to be within the cd player not the remote control unit according to my friend who is a trained audio engineer. I think the 6006se is too expensive for my needs - will also have a look out on black Friday to see if there are any good offers?

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I had to buy a new Panasonic DMP BDT180 to replace the old model as it just gave up playing discs. I can only connect it to my amp via the HDMI cable.

Is this a good solution to use as a cd transport or would I be better connecting my older Pioneer DV565A to the amp via a digital audio cable and use it as a transport.

The price of the Marantz 5005 hasn't come down in price - I must admit I am tempted to it but don't know if there would be any improvement over either the blu ray or dvd players as I said before it will get limited use.

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
jjbomber said:
beaker_07 said:

Neither, given that you have a great DVD player that is already connected to the amp. Just use that for playing the occasional CD.

+1 Beat me to it JJ

+ another one

Gray

I've got the CD6000KI which is effectively the OSE.

Your mate has suggested the player rather than the remote is the problem, which just made me wonder about the rear switch. Double check that it's fully over to the 'INTERNAL' position.

And yes, it's an old player (mine's 16) but I would not bet money that either the 5005, 6006 or its UK variant would sound any better. Stick with yours.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
beaker_07 said:
I had to buy a new Panasonic DMP BDT180 to replace the old model as it just gave up playing discs. I can only connect it to my amp via the HDMI cable.

[snip]

Would I be better connecting my older Pioneer DV565A to the amp via a digital audio cable and use it as a transport.

No matter what CD player or DVD player you plug digitally into the amp, they're all going to sound the same when playing the same CD. Now don't go telling that to someone who's just dropped a quadrillion on a dedicated transport built by fairies with love and unicorn feathers, but for the sake of this thread, take it as a given.

A new Marantz 5005 plugged into the amp via its analog outs might sound different, because you'd be using the CD player's DAC not the amp's. But I doubt there would be much difference, it could even be worse if the Denon has a better-sounding DAC

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Gray I checked the back of my cd player and the switch had been knocked onto external and when changed to internal and checked with the remote with new batteries everything works again! Happy Days

Thanks on the general advice Major if anything else should go wrong I'll keep my two old dvd players as spares to use as a transport sometime in the future

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Just had a quick online and you can get the 6006 for about £279 and 5005 is £199 from Peter Tyson. If you are spending £400 odd on a cdp I would be more inlined to go for a used Marantz 8000 series or Pearl Lite, these are much better built, they were discounted to about £500 a few years ago but they don't seem to come up very often. Or look for ex-display models. Whatever don't pay near full price for a new one.

Out of 5005/6006 I would go for the 5005.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I only saw about the switch on the back after I posted. I was going to mention that but thought you would have checked that already, I had that problem on my 63SE when it got moved. So yes I agree keep it until it breaks, sound wise I think there will be very little difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts