Marantz amp

xnn3882

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi.

I bought a Marantz PM-K1 Pearl Lite at my local dealer. This was a demo product, which has been used in the store everyday. I had to pay full price, which I'm not satisfied with. However the dealer has a 30 day return if I'm not satisfied. I bought it because I wanted to try Marantz. I've been curious about this brand for a long time.

The amp I am very satisfied with. It sounds amazing on all speakers I've tried it with. It's so musical. I really love it.

But I now have the opportunity to buy the much more expensive (and probaly even better) Marantz PM-K1 Pearl used for a little more that I paied for the Lite. It's only been used for about six months (don't know how long the Pearl Lite has been used by the store). That seems like a much better deal for me. So I'm thinking about buying used Pearl when I get salary, then returning the lite to the local dealer.

But first I want to know if anyone have heard this amp and can tell how big difference there is between them.

I also want to know if anyone have heard the PM-15S2 or PM-11S2. Is PM-K1 Pearl better than PM-15S2?

Another option is to return the Pearl Lite, then try to save up some money to buy the PM-11S2 if it's worth it.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Not having heard either myself, I'd be tempted to take a punt on the Pearl purely for the dealer making you pay full RRP for an ex-demo unit. :shame:

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Totally agree with the big fella, your dealer was completely out of line selling the Pearl Lite at full price, you wouldn't buy a second hand car at full new car list price. As for how the various Marantz amps compare, I confess I don't know, but given the price differential between the Pearl Lite and the full fat Pearl I would expect a significant difference in performance. Let us know what you find - I'm quite interested to know myself.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I owned PM-11S1, PM-15S2, PM-KI Pearl and PM-Pearl Lite and used them atleast a month in my system.

Out of all these Pearl Lite is the most Value for money product - musical with tri tone control

PM-11S1, IMO is the worst deal. It is expensive than Pearl and very analytical. I bought used and sold it after two months or so.

PM-15S2 is alright but it does not have the much miscality of Pearl lite but sounds a tad more controlled and dynamic.

PM-Pearl brought me back to Stereo from 5 channel music listening. It is much smoother, much musical and a great amplifier but I always felt that it was a bit over priced.

If you could afford and get Pearl at a bargain price then it is the way to go (given that you like pearl lite sound) especially if the price difference is only little.

I paid half the price of Pearl for Pearl lite. And IMO, Pearl Lite is atleast 70% as good as Pearl.

Please note that Pearl does not have tri-tone control and you can not put the amp on standby with remote. if I have to pick up a pure Solid State Intgerated Amplifier then first will be Classe CAP-2100 and second will be Pearl. High frequencies of Pearl are smoother than CAP-2100 where as CAP-2100 grips tougher speaker loads with authority.

To sum up, Pearl gets the vote!

xnn3882

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that was very helpfull. I guess I wont notice a big difference between the Pearl and Pearl Lite. The tone control I don't use anyway. To bad I can't put the amp standby with remote. That I find weired.

Does it take bananaplugs? I can't connect bananaplugs to the Pearl Lite. Maybe there are covers that can be removed, but I don't want to take any risk of breaking something when I want to return the amp.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It all depends on your speakers but if there is a little difference in the price then I would go for Pearl.

I am quite surprised that your demo pearl Lite still has plastic protections in the speaker binding posts. Yes, on Pearl lite the plastic caps are very tough to remove.

Both Pearl and Pearl Lite accept Banana plugs on speaker wires.

xnn3882

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I still have the Pearl Lite. The person having Pearl for sale, also have the cd-player (SA-K1 Pearl) for sale. I only want the amp, and he hasnt decided wether he sells it separated or not. I do not need a cd-player, and I don't think it's worth the price, when I can use my blu-ray player with digital out to my DAC which is high quality.

I think the Pearl Lite lacks a little bass, how is the Pearl compared? Better bass?

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I auditioned both the Pearl and the Pearl Lite before deciding to buy the Pearl Lite. It is 100% Pearl under the bonnet with some improvements and awesome sound.They only brought it out so that enthusiasts like us could enjoy the Pearl sound at a much lower cost.

I would suggest returning the demo unit and going for a spanking new Pearl Lite.

ro7939

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I respectfully request your short list of used power amps, 100W @ 8 Ohm minimum, but 150W would be much better. The speaker load impedance is ruler flat 12 Ohm above the bass range, 8 Ohm minimum. The cables, speaker, components, and treated room are all musical, transparent, well matched, highly resolving, and dead center neutral.

Budget up to about $1k maximum.

My short list:

Cambridge 840W

Marsh A400

Primare A30.2, A31.2, A33.2

T

the record spot

Full price on an open box demo model?!? I wouldn't have entertained the guy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts