• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Marantz amp choice question

aglassofwater

New member
Apr 13, 2016
2
0
0
Hi all.

I've been enjoying lurking on the forums these past couple of weeks, been mightily illuminated, and I thought it was about time I asked a question. I did put it in the Zensor 3 thread earlier, but it doesn't really belong there, so I'll have a go with a new thread.
I've heard the Zensor 3 and like it very much, pairs nicely with Marantz PM 6005, all well and good. However, my local dealer here in Slovenia has a pretty good deal on a PM 7005. It's still more expensive than the 6005, but a good deal nonetheless.
So, would any difference be worth spending the extra 200 quid on? Should I save my cash, or spend it elsewhere on the set-up on something I haven't thought of? I'll be running a Rega RP3 and, possibly, a refurbished Marantz CD-67 MkII SE from it (all as yet unpurchased).

Many thanks.

Joel
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
174
53
18,670
I can't be definitive as I've not heard this combination, but my hunch is that I'd look at spending an extra £200 on a better cartridge for your RP3 than on the slightly better amp.

Or if new, wait for the new Panar 3 which has been better reviewed than the RP3.
 

Al ears

Moderator
nopiano said:
I can't be definitive as I've not heard this combination, but my hunch is that I'd look at spending an extra £200 on a better cartridge for your RP3 than on the slightly better amp.

Or if new, wait for the new Panar 3 which has been better reviewed than the RP3.
+1 The Planar 3 might turn out to be the better turntable but it will almost certainly come fitted with a mediocre cartridge. ;-)
 

aglassofwater

New member
Apr 13, 2016
2
0
0
Thank you both. Looks like a sound policy.

The RP3 (and the new P3) both come with an Elys 2, but I've seen recommendations made on turntable threads here for cartridges that are cheaper, so I am a little confused.

So, any recommendations for a cart that would be a definitive step or two up from the Elys 2?
 

lpv

New member
Mar 14, 2013
47
0
0
did have zensor 3 with marantz budget amp.. this combination is ok until you start comparing it with better offerings for same money then you realize your zensor/ marantz have boomy bass, recessed midrange and exeggerated top... how important is the look of the speakers for you? do you need grilles? nice veneer? what's your max budget?
 

aglassofwater

New member
Apr 13, 2016
2
0
0
lpv said:
did have zensor 3 with marantz budget amp.. this combination is ok until you start comparing it with better offerings for same money then you realize your zensor/ marantz have boomy bass, recessed midrange and exeggerated top... how important is the look of the speakers for you? do you need grilles? nice veneer? what's your max budget?
I think I'm pretty settled on this, but nothing's purchased yet so I'm open to suggestions.

Total budget (amp, speakers, TT, CD player, although the latter might wait if I had some facility for playing FLAC files from my laptop) would be no more than 1,500 quid.

Edit: I should add that the ability to demo is limited where I am. I've heard the Marantz/Zensor combination, but no Arcam, little Rotel around these parts. B&W, Monitor Audio speakers yes. Etc. Look of the speakers not important, but would prefer standmounters.
 

matthewpiano

Well-known member
Nov 23, 2007
232
18
18,795
The phono stage in the PM6005 is no better than average and won't get the best out of the RP3 with Elys 2. If you instead went for a Rega Brio-R you would have a much better all-round amplifier, and a phono stage of an altogether higher quality to get the best out of the turntable.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
aglassofwater said:
Thank you both. Looks like a sound policy.

The RP3 (and the new P3) both come with an Elys 2, but I've seen recommendations made on turntable threads here for cartridges that are cheaper, so I am a little confused.

So, any recommendations for a cart that would be a definitive step or two up from the Elys 2?
I don't know the Elys 2 cartridge, if it comes with the TT may as well hear it unless you can get quite a lot of money taken off for without the Elys 2. There are some good cartridges around about the £100 mark, whether they are better than the Elys 2 I don't know. Its a matter of taste quite often, do you want clarity and hear every detail or do you want a more refined less detailed sound, less surface noise?
 

aglassofwater

New member
Apr 13, 2016
2
0
0
matthewpiano said:
The phono stage in the PM6005 is no better than average and won't get the best out of the RP3 with Elys 2. If you instead went for a Rega Brio-R you would have a much better all-round amplifier, and a phono stage of an altogether higher quality to get the best out of the turntable.
I could demo the Brio, but not with the Zensor 3, only B&W 685, Monitor Audios, Focals, Q Acoustics. Did spend a lot of time thinking about the Brio though.
 

aglassofwater

New member
Apr 13, 2016
2
0
0
BigH said:
I don't know the Elys 2 cartridge, if it comes with the TT may as well hear it unless you can get quite a lot of money taken off for without the Elys 2. There are some good cartridges around about the £100 mark, whether they are better than the Elys 2 I don't know. Its a matter of taste quite often, do you want clarity and hear every detail or do you want a more refined less detailed sound, less surface noise?
Detail definitely, but involving. I listen to everything: psych, glitchy electronic stuff, country, reggae, classical and messed-up jazz.

If that's everything.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
aglassofwater said:
BigH said:
I don't know the Elys 2 cartridge, if it comes with the TT may as well hear it unless you can get quite a lot of money taken off for without the Elys 2. There are some good cartridges around about the £100 mark, whether they are better than the Elys 2 I don't know. Its a matter of taste quite often, do you want clarity and hear every detail or do you want a more refined less detailed sound, less surface noise?
Detail definitely, but involving. I listen to everything: psych, glitchy electronic stuff, country, reggae, classical and messed-up jazz.

If that's everything.
With detail you will get more surface noise and maybe siblance. The Elys 2 gets a good review in WHF, not that means that much. I did a google search and came across this: http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=45551

which you may find of interest.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts