Making the best out of a bad situation

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Long time no positing. Have quite a nice setup at home but have to work away month away month home. So whilst my listening is good at home the "away" listening needs some improvement.

Currently running Ipod classic (with ALAC files) into pair of Bose Companion speakers (please dont laugh but they fit in my bag). Now my thoughts for a better sound include

1. Tacima Mains conditioner

2. Chord 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable between I pod and speakers

3. External hard drive for PC and a usb dac (audioquest dragonfly, I think its called)

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the above will improve my SQ or am I limited by the speakers?

Thanks in advance

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What environment are you living in when away? Lodgings? Hotel room? Ship's cabin? (I know you worked on ships.)

Is there internet access? Is it fast and reliable? Wireless internet router?

Is 'away' still in the UK or in other countries?

I doubt if a 'boutique' 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable would make any difference.

If wireless internet was not a problem, then my own choice would be a larger capacity iPad Mini 2 or iPad with 64GB (or more if needs must) and 320K AAC VBR files and a B&W A5 or Z2 (with AirPlay, so no extra cables).

However, that is because I couldn't go for long without BBC radio. An iPad Mini (or iPad) would also allow me to read lots of books - from Kindle - and use Spotify Premium (for all the music I haven't already got but might want to dabble in) and to be able to watch iPlayer TV and/or YouTube etc. with half decent sound.

I'd probably pack some decent, comfortable headphones for the late night listening (if working hours allow that).

My setup would only need one mains outlet most of the time. (Another one when charging the iPad.) I certainly wouldn't be packing a 6-way Tacima.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Rather than the Chord, suggest you try a cable from the flat connector instead of the 3.5mm that way you bypass the internal volume control. Russ Andrews and others make them

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chebby,

Yes indeed back on the boats. So environment not great with vibration and background noise.

Internet is wireless and just about fast enough to log into FB for a chat or to browse websites not much good for anything else to be honest.

Headphones is unfortunately a no go as still need to hear ships alarms etc.

Suppose the only way is source first. Just wondering if the PC with a usb dac will sound better than the IPOD direct

Not sure but if you take the output from the iPods 30-pin connector doesn't this also bypass its DAC? :shifty:

Not sure the Chord cable is going to make much difference.

I think the headphone route might be worth considering, it's what I do when working away as our cabins tend to have thin walls.

Do you normally take a laptop with you or would this be extra kit?

Might be better to put the music on it's hard drive rather than utilising an external drive - if not big enough fit a bigger internal drive.

I pretty much guess you are currntly limited by the Bose speakers but not too sure how you could better them with something of their size.

A better speaker is going to mean a bigger box.

Oops just seen your post about headphones.

Take it from me with openback haedphones you will still hear ships alarms and quite a few other background sounds which is why I use closed-back type. Can still hear PA's etc.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears

Thanks for the response. You say your cabins? are you also seagoing?

Headphones is still pretty much a no no as need to hear telephone and alarms etc.

Already take laptop away with me so no extra gear. I am tending towards getting the usb dac for approx £100 and give it a go from the laptop.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears

Thanks for the response. You say your cabins? are you also seagoing?

Headphones is still pretty much a no no as need to hear telephone and alarms etc.

Already take laptop away with me so no extra gear. I am tending towards getting the usb dac for approx £100 and give it a go from the laptop.

That might be the way to go if you always take the laptop with you. The Dragonfly appears to be a bit of a bargain and if it doesn't work out should be easy to sell on.

I work on the rigs (North Sea mainly but sometimes abroad).

Have never had any problems hearing alarms or phone with headphones on.

Have used both AK 451's and B&W P7's and can still hear phone when it rings - unless playing at silly volumes. :)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Would a compact Bluetooth speaker supporting apt-x and an apt-x transmitter for your iPod be an option?

LIke this one from Creative for around £110 - you get the speaker which receives some very good reviews, the included aptx-adapter and the iPod can dock onto the speaker if required in order to charge it.

pdt_19603.png.ashx

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts