Makeshift speaker stands

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Don't laugh....Cavity blocks !

Have my CM1s2 placed on two cavity blocks as a temporary solution, with some fabric underneath to protect the speakers.
I swear they give my old concept 20 stands a run for their money.
Bass is tight and the imaging is top notch. Dynamics are absolutely thrilling.
The weight and sturdiness of the bricks are working a treat it seems.

Anybody else ever tried something similar without getting crucified by the other half ?

insider9

My old and weighted Atacama SE24 may not be lookers but I'd never get rid of them. I'd certainly rather use cavity blocks than cheap stands. No surprise it sounds good.

My other half doesn't have any input in my hifi including furniture, acoustic room treatment etc. They're not in the living room though as I prefer peace and quiet without kids and distractions.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
My old and weighted Atacama SE24 may not be lookers but I'd never get rid of them. I'd certainly rather use cavity blocks than cheap stands. No surprise it sounds good.

My other half doesn't have any input in my hifi including furniture, acoustic room treatment etc. They're not in the living room though as I prefer peace and quiet without kids and distractions.

I keep taking the CMs off the blocks and placing them on each side of my sturdy wooden TV cabinet and they sound uneven and inaccurate.
The bass energy , which is substantial from these little speakers , starts to muddy up the midrange.
Upon placing them back on the blocks they regain the tightness and stable image.
And the dynamics are rock solid again, no pun.
Strangely enough the mids take on a softer quality also.

I'm tempted to leave as is and just cover the blocks with black fabric all round.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if you could add a more aesthetic finish? You could apply Easifill to the rough surfaces, sand smooth, then apply emulsion wall paint. The corners would easily chip as Easifill is only a soft plaster.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
If it works then I don't see why not. Fabric will definitely cost less than stands. Although something like my Atacama stands can be picked up second hand around £20 if you're lucky.

I'm having notions that the blocks may even outperform metal stands. Just a notion mind.
I wish I still had my Concept20 stands as I'd love do a direct comparison. Although the blocks are considerably lower with the tweeters just below ear level.

I'll try to pick up a pair of Atacamas and do a comparison.

insider9

Alberich said:
insider9 said:
If it works then I don't see why not. Fabric will definitely cost less than stands. Although something like my Atacama stands can be picked up second hand around £20 if you're lucky.

I'm having notions that the blocks may even outperform metal stands. Just a notion mind.
I wish I still had my Concept20 stands as I'd love do a direct comparison. Although the blocks are considerably lower with the tweeters just below ear level.

If you're around South Yorkshire mine are currently not being used and I'd happily let you try them.

abacus

So long as the speakers are firmly coupled to the floor (To minimise movement) it doesn’t matter what you use, however, quality stands are usually the most convenient.

NOTE: The exception to the rule is if speakers are on a desk, as direct coupling to the desk will amplify any vibration, so in this scenario always use acoustic isolators specifically for the job. (Available from any pro music store)

Above all enjoy the music/film

Bill

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Leif said:
I wonder if you could add a more aesthetic finish? You could apply Easifill to the rough surfaces, sand smooth, then apply emulsion wall paint. The corners would easily chip as Easifill is only a soft plaster. 

I'm thinking something like black fabric, wrapped around and finished tidy. With the aim being an inconspicuous looking black column to match the black finish of the speakers. Could look quite well with a bit of imagination.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Alberich said:
insider9 said:

If you're around South Yorkshire mine are currently not being used and I'd happily let you try them.

Very generous of you sir but I'm in Dublin.
Thanks anyway !

Gray

insider9 said:

I've also got the SE24's, you're right they're no lookers. Black cloth round bricks may actually look better!

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Alberich said:
Leif said:

I'm thinking something like black fabric, wrapped around and finished tidy. With the aim being an inconspicuous looking black column to match the black finish of the speakers. Could look quite well with a bit of imagination.

I think you are right. You could even use curtain fabric, such as a William Morris pattern if that is your taste, and make a decorative feature of them. Offcuts can be bought on fleabay. Do post photos if you try out your idea.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I believe the stands Vlad is referring to are the fs700's....I have a pair on loan to my mother...I previously used them with cm5's to fine effect with some of atacamas own attabites for even more hefty. visually pleasing also I might add.

Thanks Mark , they'd probably be my best bet long term. These s2 have the threaded inserts on the base as well so if I can bolt them down firm all the better.
Judging by the effect the concrete has on them It'll be best if I fill them also. They seem to perform well when placed on something solid and heavy.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
When I bought my JPW Sonatas, my old Rega floorstanders made excellent temporary stands in their own right. Just added eight beads of Blu-Tack and turned them around to face the wall.

Something I have found (with all speakers) is the effect of placing a thick, heavy, hardback book on top of each cabinet. My speakers have always been positioned near open front book cabinets so this doesn't actually look incongruous.

At the moment they are sporting 1st edition hardbacks of N.A.M Rodgers' The Safeguard of The Sea and Command of The Ocean. (Other authoratative Naval histories can be used.)

I change them around occasionally. It was two volumes of Winston Churchill's war papers for a while.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
chebby said:
When I bought my JPW Sonatas, my old Rega floorstanders made excellent temporary stands in their own right. Just added eight beads of Blu-Tack and turned them around to face the wall.

Something I have found (with all speakers) is the effect of placing a thick, heavy, hardback book on top of each cabinet. My speakers have always been positioned near open front book cabinets so this doesn't actually look incongruous.

At the moment they are sporting 1st edition hardbacks of N.A.M Rodgers' The Safeguard of The Sea and Command of The Ocean. (Other authoratative Naval histories can be used.)

I change them around occasionally. It was two volumes of Winston Churchill's war papers for a while.

I suppose it makes perfect sense really. If beneficial results can be had by securing the base of the speaker down firmly, then the same could apply to the top.
I wonder if there's any stands out there that have a vice like design, that allows pressure to be put on the top of the cabinet as well.
Could be a risky design of course. Wouldn't take much for some ham fisted individual to do some serious damage to the speakers.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:

Something I have found (with all speakers) is the effect of placing a thick, heavy, hardback book on top of each cabinet. My speakers have always been positioned near open front book cabinets so this doesn't actually look incongruous.

At the moment they are sporting 1st edition hardbacks of N.A.M Rodgers' The Safeguard of The Sea and Command of The Ocean. (Other authoratative Naval histories can be used.)

I change them around occasionally. It was two volumes of Winston Churchill's war papers for a while.

So that's why my local library doesn't have those in stock, they say they have two copies but they've lost track of them. Would you mind returning them?

I take it you blind tested Rodgers and Churchill and decided that Churchill was more musical, dynamic and authoritative?

I will try this when I get home. Fungi Europaei will do I think. I assume they have to be non fiction.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts