Major problem with the supply of Samsung 8000 series LED

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone know what's happening with Samsung's 8000 series of LED TV's? I've had a UE46B8000 on order for over 5 weeks and the retailer has no idea when these are going to be in the UK again. I have spent hours on the net trying to re-source but EVERYONE is out of stock. Currys and Comet have even sold their display models and removed them from the website. There is a copyright issue in the US with Sharp and the US have an import ban on the 8000 series, in fact Samsung have gone as far as removing the 8000 series from their US website, however it is still be advertised on the UK site. I have tried speaking to Samsung but it's like getting blood out of a stone. They have told me the 8000 series has not been discontinued but that the 9000 series will be launched in spring 2010. They actually suggested that retailers are not stocking the 8000 because 'they don't want to be lubered with old stock'!!! Well if it's not being discontinued then it wouldn't be old stock would it? Anyway if a series was going to be phased out to make way for the 9000 series surely it would be the 6000 series?

So come on Experts what do you know? Is the 8000 having a shorter than normal life expectancy and if I do get my hands on one am I going to be lumbered with a TV that has no support or spares?

matthewpiano

This is the time of year where most businesses will think long and hard before buying any further stocks of soon-to-be-discontinued models. No retailer/dealer wants to end up with stocks of a model that they then have to discount to trade price just to get rid of them.

In terms of spares and support I don't think you have anything to worry about. Samsung are required to maintain parts availability for at least 6 years in order to protect the long-term interests of customers.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Try superfi mail order as i have just purchased one and its superb. I beleive they still had limited stock

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the heads-up. Just e-mailed them now to check their stock. Only problem is that they're £250 more than where I currently have my order. If I want it though I might just have to bite the bullet.

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Tried Superfi, no stock.

Is there anyone out there that knows what's happening with the 8000 series? Has production stopped?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare, this pretty much confirms what I've found out. Went into Comet last night as was told the 8000 had been marked as discontinued on their systems and Comet wouldn't be getting anymore. Thing is I've spoken to so many retailers now that have upwards of 25 units on back order, what is Samsung going to do? I'm sure the 9000 series will be even more pricey. Do retailers just issue refunds? How do Samsung stand on a contractural level for orders placed and paid for?

I think it's all a bit of a mess and not sure where I stand. Really considering getting a refund and going for the UE46B7020 now as stocks are available, the only difference I can see is back down to 100Hz and a IR remote rather than the 8000's RF. I really wanted the 8000 but after waiting 6 weeks, and selling my old CRT (so lumbered with a portable) I'm kinda thinking just give up on the 8000.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't assume prices are going to be significantly higher for the 2010 ranges - and as you've waited so long, i'd hang on in there a little longer and see what you like the look of from the new line-ups.

Incidentally, we're producing a dedicated 36-page guide to all the new TV models - and technologies - for our May issue, on sale 7 April (with subscibers from 31st March).

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:

I wouldn't assume prices are going to be significantly higher for the 2010 ranges - and as you've waited so long, i'd hang on in there a little longer and see what you like the look of from the new line-ups.

Incidentally, we're producing a dedicated 36-page guide to all the new TV models - and technologies - for our May issue, on sale 7 April (with subscibers from 31st March).

Is this one going to be sealed?

Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, it'll be a special, bagged edition - so you can only get your grubby mitts on its lovely content if you buy it
emotion-2.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:Yep, it'll be a special, bagged edition - so you can only get your grubby mitts on its lovely content if you buy it
emotion-2.gif

No problem for me any longer then.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Couldn't wait any longer, cancelled the order for the 8000 and bought a 7020. I really can't see what the fuss with the extra 200Hz was. I've tried gaming and watching some sports over the weekend and I can't see any issues with the 7020's 100Hz.

The 2010 range may be better but I'm finally happy with what I've got.

Thanks for all your help.

TRENDING THREADS