Mains Conditioner / Silencer or decent mains block???

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi, I am aware that I have probably opened up a hornets nest here but I would appreciate some sound advice and experience regarding mains conditioners / silencers or blocks.

I have recently added a Russ Andrews Silencer plug to my set up and was pretty impressed by the results lower cleaner bass and crisper midrange. Therefore I would like to look at taking the upgrade a step further and probably have around £100-£150 to spend.

I have read that most conditioners will rob amplifiers of their attack and bass as they cap the voltage ( I bi-amp and this would not give me an advantage) but I am keen to explore options and to see if anybody has any advice on equipment to use. I have seen a Russ Andrews Silencer block on ebay as well as an Isotek Mains block - I sit worthe the additional on a silencer block as I have a silencer (£50 jobby) or will a decent mains block with a silencer plug add that much of an improvement?

Any advice is welcome

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi Sutch mate ,
I've got to say AWESOME choice of speaker fair play :grin:

I've just orderd a Audience AdeptResponse aR4 Power Conditioner , and its comeing next week so I will let you know what I think of it , and if it dose the Platinums total justise when I hook me equipment up to it , all the reviews have given it glowing reports , so fingers crossed

From bamz

A

Anonymous

ignore my last comment , I did not see you had a 100 to 150 budget sorry mate ,
Way to much :beer: :beer: drinking for the rugby yesterday , hence still ruff today :doh:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Bamz said:
ignore my last comment , I did not see you had a 100 to 150 budget sorry mate , Way to much :beer: :beer: drinking for the rugby yesterday , hence still ruff today :doh:

To OP - Mains conditioning/regeneration is expensive to do right.....even then, many people prefer to plug direct into the wall.

Sometimes the first impression of what it does is misleading, so it's always worth reversing the change after a while, to check this.

Bamz - I look forward to your impressions.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been using an Isotek Cleanline for nearly 10 years.

Took one home for demo. I was a bit sceptical as to what it would do.

Made a massive difference, bought it the next day.

I obviously have fairly bad mains so needed it.

If you noticed a difference with a more basic device that does a similar job chances are you will notice a difference using other mains products. Best to test at home first though. Also do what CnoEvil suggested, test for a few days with what ever mains conditioner you choose then a few days without to see if you prefer your music with it.

Can't suggest any specific product though, only experience is the Isotek I have.

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the comments all, I really didnt want to blow the budget too much as rears and sub are also next on the upgrade line - but if the rewards are there I dont mind stretching a bit - probably not to the extent of the Audience AdeptResponse :grin: , although it does look very special indeed. Also loving the speakers Bamz and you are a man of great taste, would love to know your thoughts on the PLW15 Sub.

I actually dont know if my mains is dirty or noisey I was just taken away by the results on the RA silencer. I have also read that many conditioners can rob potential sound as it capsthe voltage, I think that I am reading that a lower priced conditioner will provide this whilst the more I spend the better the gains?

I may try a home trial on the Isotek and see where we go from there (or do a blind ebay buy if the price is right). Thanks for the comments guys.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I added an Isol8 cleanline 2 mains conditioner. It is supposed to have 2 sockets for power amps but I found that it robbed the sound of depth but it did provide more detail. I do not use on my ARCAM AVR just for my sources.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
As has been suggested, get a sparks that you can rely on (there must be some somewhere!!?) to give you a seperate circuit for just the hifi.

Russ Andrews lets you try before you say a total goodbye to your money and I have a couple of his mains blocks that don't strangle anything. Apart from the neighbours wanting to strangle me in the past.

:shifty:

A

Anonymous

Hi Cno ,
no problem mate ,soon as the aR4 Power Conditioner lands , I will let you know what we are dealing with ,so fingers crossed that it will be awesome :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Bamz said:
Hi Cno , no problem mate ,soon as the aR4 Power Conditioner lands , I will let you know what we are dealing with ,so fingers crossed that it will be awesome :)

Cheers Bamz - I have had mixed results with mains regenerators, as they were inclined to make the sound too "clean and shiny" for my taste. I liked the effect of the Atlas Balanced Mains Transformers when I heard the prototype, but as the cost of copper went up, their price put them out of my reach.

A

Anonymous

Hi Sutch
The PLW15 is AWESOME ,even though it was not my first choice of sub ,after reading a full review on the whole Platinum system somewhere , the revew raved about the whole system and then finally went on ,not to slate the PLW 15 but to say it was the weak point of the system and way better subs out there .

I arranged a demo of the Paradigm Signature Sub 25 and whilst telling the dealer I had built up a Monitor Audio Platinum system he said straight away about the PLW15 and that it would be amazing with the PL 200 s and the PLC150 and in his opinion it was just as good or in my case better that the Sub25 with the system I have got, as long as it was set up right .
I was very lucky with my PLW15 as I waited and looked around for ages and picked mine up ex demo in totaly mint condition from kevin and David at hifix ,for a very good price :grin:

Right enough rambling on :) the PLW is AWESOME I even use it now with music to the sub is very fast indeed and blends in perfect with the Pl200 s , there are pre settings on the sub , so you can choose from music , movies ,dynamic , night mode and impact mode >)
And u can pre set your own setings on the sub to .
With all films the sub is crazy and I only have the volume on under half way , very low and deep bass to , impact mode makes the sub into a crazed animal and makes everything way deeper and gut wrenching at times but sadely my missis hates this so is only used when she leaves the house :) sorry I've totaly banged on but hope this helps
From bamz

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Bamz said:
With all films the sub is crazy and I only have the volume on under half way , very low and deep bass to , impact mode makes the sub into a crazed animal and makes everything way deeper and gut wrenching at times but sadely my missis hates this so is only used when she leaves the house :)

.......you're not alone there! ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts