Mains Cable Upgrades

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I may be missing something obvious but why is it that all of the mains cable upgrades come with IEC, 3 pin connectors. The only piece of equipment that I own that comes with this type of socket is my TV. Everything else either comes with an integrated cable or the standard figure of 8, 2 pin connector as does 99.9% of the equipment that I have ever demo'd in hi-fi stores. I know that pro-audio equipment as used in studio recording often comes with the 3 pin connectors and probably some of the high end hi-fi but why are there no cable upgrades with 2 pin connctors?

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hello

The figure 8 (or IEC C7) type of connector is fairly common. It is usually used in low current applications and where the component is double insulated (i.e., where it does not need earthing).

As a manufacturer, the figure 8 connector is very limiting in terms of the size of cable and conductors that can be fitted within its safety approvals. We cannot terminate our power cables directly with a figure 8 connector since they are too large in diameter (both in terms of the outer cable diameter and the internal conductor diameter). Fitting a cable outside of the restrictions of the connector immediately invalidates its safety approval. We offer our customers an IEC to Figure 8 Adaptor so our power cables can be used. You should also be able to find other companies offering such adaptors so you are not limited and can use any power cable you wish with your components.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Darren

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
PMCF1412:
I may be missing something obvious but why is it that all of the mains cable upgrades come with IEC, 3 pin connectors. The only piece of equipment that I own that comes with this type of socket is my TV. Everything else either comes with an integrated cable or the standard figure of 8, 2 pin connector as does 99.9% of the equipment that I have ever demo'd in hi-fi stores. I know that pro-audio equipment as used in studio recording often comes with the 3 pin connectors and probably some of the high end hi-fi but why are there no cable upgrades with 2 pin connctors?

I've never seen a piece of hifi equipment without the 3 pin connector.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:PMCF1412:

Definately correct for the end that plugs in the wall, :)

Kit with 2 pin fig 8 connectors. Sky and Virgin boxes, probably some Freeview boxes. DM37 for definate, more than likely a fair amount of other all-in-ones and small sized equipment.(Probably designed that way because of size and space restrictions). Can't stop to think of more, trying to watch Woodstock on telly.

A

Anonymous

Slightly off topic...

if upgrading the power leads, should they still be plugged into a mains conditioner? I read in another thread that amps shouldn't go into a conditioner. This would also apply to a sub?

confused
emotion-10.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
lozza:
Slightly off topic...

if upgrading the power leads, should they still be plugged into a mains conditioner? I read in another thread that amps shouldn't go into a conditioner. This would also apply to a sub?

confused
emotion-10.gif

Thats another 'try it and see'

Id say the sub would be better through the conditioner. The only item id say to possibly leave off the conditioner is the amp, but its really down to what the difference is. It usually gains detail but lacks sonic 'oomph' (ie, the sounds 'different' but maybe not actually 'better'). The reason being the conditioner usually robs the amp of some power (I use the Isotek Sigmas personally, which is supposed to allow all power through)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
8009514:JoelSim:PMCF1412:

Kit with 2 pin fig 8 connectors. Sky and Virgin boxes, probably some Freeview boxes. DM37 for definate, more than likely a fair amount of other all-in-ones and small sized equipment.(Probably designed that way because of size and space restrictions). Can't stop to think of more, trying to watch Woodstock on telly.

Ah, now you see all that hifi equipment you have mentioned above is not actually hifi equipment, it's tv equipment, and budget/made to a low price kit at that. Pretty much all hifi separates come with the 3 pin connectors, hence why mains leads come like that. I suspect there won't be a big market for a £50 mains lead when the cable box costs less than that.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:8009514:JoelSim:PMCF1412:

Ah, now you see all that hifi equipment you have mentioned above is not actually hifi equipment, it's tv equipment, and budget/made to a low price kit at that. Pretty much all hifi separates come with the 3 pin connectors, hence why mains leads come like that. I suspect there won't be a big market for a £50 mains lead when the cable box costs less than that.

Hmm, I find that quite an interesting point actually JoelSim. makes me wonder how far one should go on trying to make improvements on cheap / budget / low end equipment, and at what point does it become 'silly' in trying to do it.

Set top boxes - you're quite right, cheaply made, mass produced items. I'm pretty sure some people will have spent out on screened mains leads for them in order to try and improve picture quality, and probably spent more than the box cost to make. Probably already spent out on a Tacima to plug it into anyway.

Budget hifi (all-in-ones etc) - probable cost about £300 - £350 to buy kit. Tacima + the recommended Chord silverscreen, add probably another £100 for those. Is it now worth putting out a further 50 quid or so for a screened mains lead? Is the kit good enough to warrant it, I just don't know.

What do you reckon?

A

Anonymous

Hey PMCF1412,

I wouldn't personally recommend an IEC to Fig8 adapter, I've tried them before in the past and never been very happy with the results, as I've mentioned to others on previous threads, I had a similar issue to yours and came across this company (www.elucidate-cables.co.uk) who do a very reasonably priced fig8 cable, I didn't want to spend a fortune on a power cable upgrade for my Sky Box, and I'm really glad I bought one now, I was very impressed by the difference it made.

Hope the input helps and let us know what you go for.

Neil

A

Anonymous

This guy will make a very good Fig. 8 cable for you http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/

He just made me a great one from Black Rhodium Super Jazz cable, with a Cryo. silver MK mains plug, all for about £75....well made too. If you want to go a bit cheaper, he can make one made from Black Rhodium Fusion cable for quite a bit less.

idc

BigAir:Russ Andrews now do a figure 8 Powerkord too ......

I'm sure that is partly because some of the Firestone range of DACs and amps they sell have figure 8 connections. RA even do an upgrade for the tiny cable that connects to the Supplier PSU, £18 for 50cm.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
8009514:JoelSim:8009514:JoelSim:PMCF1412:

Hmm, I find that quite an interesting point actually JoelSim. makes me wonder how far one should go on trying to make improvements on cheap / budget / low end equipment, and at what point does it become 'silly' in trying to do it.

Set top boxes - you're quite right, cheaply made, mass produced items. I'm pretty sure some people will have spent out on screened mains leads for them in order to try and improve picture quality, and probably spent more than the box cost to make. Probably already spent out on a Tacima to plug it into anyway.

Budget hifi (all-in-ones etc) - probable cost about £300 - £350 to buy kit. Tacima + the recommended Chord silverscreen, add probably another £100 for those. Is it now worth putting out a further 50 quid or so for a screened mains lead? Is the kit good enough to warrant it, I just don't know.

What do you reckon?

On a £350 mini system, I wouldn't bother with anything cable-wise. It's not the right equipment to be shelling out an equal sum on cables. Like buying a Fiat Punto and filling it with jetfuel. Not going to make it go faster.

A

Anonymous

Finding this subject very interesting

It seems IMHO that changing mains cables benefits HiFi more than home cinema but am happy to be proved wrong.

I have bought a Tacima for my home cinema kit , can't decide if it has made a difference but to be fair it is not fully integrated into my system yet.

Testing it out ,but there are different combinations which I am working through some being to

Connecting my Panasonic AE3000 projector on its own into the Tac, but impracticable as it is ceiling mounted so cant have the Tacima hanging from the ceiling, any suggestions for a cable I should try , it may need a ferrite on it as that is what is on the supplied standard cable.

PS3 on its own in the Tacima

PS3 and Yamaha Z7 in the Tacima

What are the views on having my Yamaha Z7 in the Tacima , is it a good idea because of current demand or should I maybe change the mains lead on the Yam instead , if so any suggestions to which one?

I am aware of Russ Andrews and Clearer audio but I am just getting confused as to there worth

Also saw some nice cables (Gold Silver Mains) from Audio Friendly on ebay look good quality and a lot cheaper,anyone have any experience with them.

I am going to upgrade my PS3 next month to something higher spec DENON 2500 transport perhaps, so a good mains cable might be justified.

Sorry to go on but I am itching to try some mains cables but they are not cheap and would have to make a BIG difference

Look forward to your comments

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I have mentioned it before on these forums, i have tried and compared many mains cables, the QED, VandenHull, Kemp, Lapp, Supra and Wireworld.

Only the Wireworld Aurora made a big improvement om my amp, and the Supra was almost as good but cheaper then the Wireworld on my source.

I didn't come across a mains cable at that price that is as good as this Wirworld Aurora.

A

Anonymous

Lesmor, I wouldn't put your Yamaha Z7 through a Tacima.

It will likely effect the speed of the power supply (its ability to recharge the reservoir capacitors in your AV amp) when musical demands are made on it.

However if you can find on fleebay a BT 500va Mains conditioning unit and plug that into the tacima 1st you will have a very clean supply.
The clever thing with these units is that they have built into them 'mains capacitors' which store a charge of power to be available on demand, these also deal effectively with power spikes/surges smoothing the mains to an incredible degree.

Would not buy any mains leads until you have got a couple of these units.

A

Anonymous

trevor79:Lesmor, I wouldn't put your Yamaha Z7 through a Tacima. It will likely effect the speed of the power supply (its ability to recharge the reservoir capacitors in your AV amp) when musical demands are made on it. However if you can find on fleebay a BT 500va Mains conditioning unit and plug that into the tacima 1st you will have a very clean supply. The clever thing with these units is that they have built into them 'mains capacitors' which store a charge of power to be available on demand, these also deal effectively with power spikes/surges smoothing the mains to an incredible degree. Would not buy any mains leads until you have got a couple of these units.

Thanks for the reply Trevor this is what I was suspicious of ,especially for Home cinema big demand on current.

I did email Lindy who make a copy of the Tacima and they said it would be Ok , but I find your explanation makes more sense.

although you say to wait before changing mains ,and I now will , do you have any recommendations for mains cables for future reference ,no disrespect intended to RCduck7 who had already replied I have your suggestions on my shortlist ,but It would be interesting to have others experiences as well

Regards
Andy

A

Anonymous

That's OK Andy, personally on mains cables I have been using Russ Andrews Classic ones for many years (1989) along with his Kimber 4TC speaker cables.

On my system the effects with the BT MTU's have uplifted the mains to a point where there is no noticable difference at all between using kettle leads or Powerkords!

A

Anonymous

trevor79:That's OK Andy, personally on mains cables I have been using Russ Andrews Classic ones for many years (1989) along with his Kimber 4TC speaker cables. On my system the effects with the BT MTU's have uplifted the mains to a point where there is no noticable difference at all between using kettle leads or Powerkords!

Trevor

Which model BT MCU are you recommending , there seems to be two that I can find, but only one model available for £50.00

A

Anonymous

For low current power applications the 125va one is fine, but for AV power amp duties it has got to be the 500va model that is up to the job IMHO.

I run my MA RSW12 sub off the 125VA and my Onkyo 875 off the 500VA. Use a Powerkord off the Tacima for the TV.

A

Anonymous

trevor79:For low current power applications the 125va one is fine, but for AV power amp duties it has got to be the 500va model that is up to the job IMHO. I run my MA RSW12 sub off the 125VA and my Onkyo 875 off the 500VA. Use a Powerkord off the Tacima for the TV.

Thanks again Trevor think ill pass on the 125 then

One last question if you dont mind , then Ill leave you in peace , your setup calls it a BT MTU and I've been looking at a BT MCU ( Mains conditioning unit ) are these the same thing as I see you also had a thread on UPS ( Uninterrupted Power supplies ) which of course is entirely different subject.

I want to be sure I am not getting confused between the two.

Thanks again for you help I believe you have saved me a lot of money and frustration.

A

Anonymous

Yes, they are one of the same in this case.

The job they do in cleaning up the power supply is equivalent (in my experence)to a Russ Andrews 'Balanced Mains Unit' partnered with Powerkords.
The 3000va unit costs £2960 (I have had one in the past).

Now that is a bargain way of getting a great result.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Or you could try one or two of these very high quality but budget friendly line balance transformers, put in a nice box... It should beat filters.

http://translate.google.be/translate?hl=nl&sl=en&u=http://www.sacthailand.com/&ei=jxK-SqHXEoLX-Qa258TDAQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsac%2Bthailand%26hl%3Dnl%26rlz%3D1T4DVXE_enBE304BE304

I stumbled on this website a few days ago and contacted a few clients and they seem very pleased with SAC thailand components.

I think price/quality they are about unbeatable but i don't have any experinces with their components, i'm tempted to try one of their transformers though. There isn't a broad dealernetwork but i think they may have stock here... http://www.acousticperfection.co.uk/tubeamps.htm

The best way for results would be a 500VA for sources and pre amps and a 1000VA or higher for amps.

With this balanced line transformer i think differences in mains cables will become less apparent

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts