Mains cable (aka power cord) with smooth, warm sound less than £100 ?

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
What does your kit sound like now? What component are you intending to use it on? Will it be plugged straight into the wall?

A

Anonymous

My kit is pretty simple:

Yamaha RX 797 (with PS Audio power cord)

Tannoy Mercury V4

Yamaha CDS-300

PS Audio duet

Van Den Hul CS-122

Audioquest King Cobra

and that's it

I want a cable to connect to wall :cheers:

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Seeing as you already have some Audioquest in your system, i would suggest trying the Audioquest NRG2 or even the NRG3 as there are a lot of offers around on these within your budget.

I use them along with their firewire, USB, IC's and speaker cables throughout my system. Have stuck with Audioquest through many systems and over many years, they give me the sound i like, detailed and balanced.

Just my opinion, don't want to get into a cable discussion (war
smiley-wink.gif
)
smiley-sealed.gif
smiley-smile.gif

T

the record spot

Your wasting your time if you think a cable like that will deliver a "smooth, warm sound". If you really must follow this route, find a company that will guarantee your money back if you can't tell a difference. Russ Andrews is one, but, as you've probably gathered by now, I don't believe in the whole cable thing beyond their basic function. Far better to save up your cash and find some speakers that will deliver the sound you're after IMO. Your money in the end though.

EDIT: I've found the standard Masterplug, or similar variants thereof, will do a fine job. Expect to save roughly £95 of your budget accordingly and I'd further suggest finding the best masterings of the recordings you like. Your listening pleasure really will soar then. And apologies for my probably slightly terse tone, but you'll get more mileage out of addressing the basic issues than anything else.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
As suggested above, Audioquest make good stuff. Alternatively, Clearer Audio Copperline is a great cable, which you can send back if not what you're looking for. On sale here:

http://www.cleareraudio.com/onlinestore/Copper-line_Clearance_Cables.html

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the record spot said:
... EDIT: I've found the standard Masterplug, or similar variants thereof, will do a fine job...

At the risk of being a pedant - IME the Masterplug sounds cleaner and more open compared to a Tacima's warmer/more syrupy 'tone', which, FWIW, is why I swapped the latter for the former. (Props to Rick @ Musicraft for 'discovering' the Masterplug's sonic benefits.) :)

YMMV :shifty:

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't quite get why people get wound up about mains cables.

It either makes sufficient difference to justify the price, or it doesn't and you send it back, a little wiser. No need to get bogged down with the theory.

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/ have a wide selection, give them a ring and talk to a human! I think they do home trials on at least some of their products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
the record spot said:
... EDIT: I've found the standard Masterplug, or similar variants thereof, will do a fine job...

At the risk of being a pedant - IME the Masterplug sounds cleaner and more open compared to a Tacima's warmer/more syrupy 'tone', which, FWIW, is why I swapped the latter for the former. (Props to Rick @ Musicraft for 'discovering' the Masterplug's sonic benefits.) :)

YMMV :shifty:
IMO. The Tacima adds cotton wool to the Golden Syrup.

John Duncan

Which was sort of my point, but you said it less facetiously. I agree that mains cables can give you the last (0.1 to) 1% in a good system, but it's not going to change character as much as, say, sticking your hands behind your ears*

*try it

A

Anonymous

Thanks to you all for replying :cheers:

Well, I've listened A LOT of different setups this and last year (up to very expensive Naim, Music First, Mark Levinson, etc) . And I do believe cables make difference (hence I didn't want to re-open the endless controversy) :wave:

I've a bit of a problem, though: I live literally thousands of kms away from the UK, so I can't go around there changing speakers and everything or using try-at-home items. Moreover, I did changed my speakers recently! I had Monitor Audio RS6, with were really, really good (specially in the bass) but sounded quite bright to my ears.

These Tannoys are sweeter, with better midrange and I like them more. I do believe I can get a little better from them with a decent mains cable, since I currently connect PS Audio to the wall with a throwaway cable :oops:

Keep suggesting!

PS: I'll be physically in the UK, but in January/February ;)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
ponkine said:
Keep suggesting!

I'd be looking at upgrading my components and/or making sure they are well-matched with each other and/or to your taste.

Not sure if I understood, your are going to spend up to £100 on a cable for a £200 CD player? :shame:

It's common practice to allocate 10% of total system budget to cables (including interconnects and speaker cables).

A

Anonymous

100 GBP mains cable on that kit is madness. Almost half of the CDP! Buy more music and enjoy. Alternatively do your own dedicated mains spur and see if you like the difference first.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
It's just a rule of thumb that you hear bandied around.

Just done a quick reckoning, in my system, cables account for less than 5% of the total (bit of a cheat as I picked em up used ;)).

I personally wouldn't stick a £100 mains lead into anything less than a £1000 component.

BTW, If anyone has a £60,000 source/amp, I recommend Siltech Royal Signature Empress 1m at a cool £6000. What would be the point investing in such great gear and then skimping on the cables? :D

A

Anonymous

Folks!

Who said I'm going to plug the cable to my CDP? ;)

To start with, my CDP has a figure 8 plug!

I want a cable to connect my PS Audio to wall, and of course a figure 8 cable can't do the job :wave:

I still have the factory cable plugged on my CDP 8)

All I want is a good budget cable with a smooth sound to replace that crappy cheap mains I'm using to connect my PS Audio Duet to wall right now

cheers :cheers:

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
You can get fancy mains leads even with figure of 8 plugs...maybe that could be your next upgrade if you feel that upgraded mains cables are important for you to get the most enjoyment out of your system.

Sorry can't be more helpful...

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
ponkine said:
Folks!

Who said I'm going to plug the cable to my CDP? ;)

To start with, my CDP has a figure 8 plug!

I want a cable to connect my PS Audio to wall, and of course a figure 8 cable can't do the job :wave:

I still have the factory cable plugged on my CDP 8)

All I want is a good budget cable with a smooth sound to replace that crappy cheap mains I'm using to connect my PS Audio Duet to wall right now

cheers :cheers:

Don't expect you will hear a lot of differences after you have changed your power cable unless you have a very high end system, (I still have some doubt on it).

TBH I suggest you have a look at the Bay and find some shielded power cable costing about £20 that should serve your purpose. use the rest of your money to buy a line filter and that will be a better option than just buying a £100 cable.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Using a mains cable to tweek the sound of you hifi is just pure madness. :wall: Going down that road will only lead to fustration. (pun intended)

If your hifi sounds too bright then your probably using the wrong speakers and/or amp. No amount of cable swapping will change this fact. If you want somthing a bit more warm sounding you will probably need swap your speakers. Alternatively you could use a graphic equalizer to turn the treble frequencies down a bit.

A

Anonymous

Not sure if this helps but as I see it the power travels hundreds of miles along pylons, substations, underground and yet there is this view that the final 3 feet of cable can make a difference. Don't get it personally. I guess some gadgets can filter out unwanted interference from the fridge switching on and off etc but thats about it for me?

T

the record spot

ponkine said:

1. Cables don't have a sound. They're a conduit, no more, no less. If they do, then they're doing something they shouldn't and you probably don't want that in your system.

2. The assumption is your current mains cable is crappy because it is cheap, yet it is doing the job it's been designed to do. The only reason that it is cheap, is because they are made in bulk and economies of scale allow the price per unit to be as low as it is. Beyond that, it's doing precisely what your £100 cable will fundamentally do. Actually, it might even be doing it better as it's probably not designed with sound colouration properties or effects in mind.

3. Lastly, the issue isn't your mains cable; it's your speakers, their position, your amp, or your music (production, mastering, or the like). Invest the time in getting those set-up right (or just buy the right ones) and you're in clover.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts