Mac vs PC......

Andym150

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm new to this site but have followed various discussions regarding using a Computer as your main source of music. I used to be a Pro Musician & lived all over the World & during that time collected a huge CD library. I became a fan of Itunes (yes I know there are better players out there) as it was a good way to organise my library however during that time I was using a Windows based PC. Earlier this year I decided to get a new Iphone & A MacBook Pro. The Mac is outstanding in every way. I have a Cambridge Audio 651A Amp that is connected to the Mac via USB & DALI speakers. It's not the most expensive set up but still a very impressive & enjoyable listen. It's my first MacBook but I just love it. All my library is now on the Mac with a backup of course but has anyone else on completely down the Computer route & did you go PC or MAC?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Wow, what a first post you got there.
regular_smile.gif

The answer is simple: Dumb and poor people buy PC, rich and smart people buy Macs. Of course exceptions apply.

abacus

MACs were the first to be used for serious video & music production, (Hence they are popular with these type of users) whereas the PC was primarily used for business.

Due to the cost of a MAC (Plus the limited upgradability) soft & hardware manufactures developed systems that bypassed the OS limitations (Steinbergs ASIO for example) of PCs so as to increase sales. (PCs really were significantly cheaper than MACs)

Since Windows 7, Microsoft finnaly started designing the OS to work optimally with video & music software, and the latest Windows 10 is virtually as good as a MAC. (There are still one or two programs that have problems with Windows 10 but fixes are on the way)

Price to performance the PC wipes the floor with a MAC, (A PC costs a 3rd of the price of a MAC for the same performance) however they do tend to be ugly. (If you go for a posh looking PC then the prices end up almost at MAC level)

Apple products dont talk nicely with none Apple products (There are more loopholes to jump through) to try and force owners into having all Apple products, however the PC will work with virtually everything.

If you have always used MACs (Or Apple products in general) then there is no reason to change, likewise if you have allways used PCs (And providing you have Windows 7 or above (Ideally Windows 10) then again there is no need to change.

Forget the MAC vs PC wars, as it is a none entity these days, with only die hards promoting one or the other.

Hope this helps

Bill

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
abacus said:
MACs were the first to be used for serious video & music production, (Hence they are popular with these type of users) whereas the PC was primarily used for business.

Due to the cost of a MAC (Plus the limited upgradability) soft & hardware manufactures developed systems that bypassed the OS limitations (Steinbergs ASIO for example) of PCs so as to increase sales. (PCs really were significantly cheaper than MACs)

Since Windows 7, Microsoft finnaly started designing the OS to work optimally with video & music software, and the latest Windows 10 is virtually as good as a MAC. (There are still one or two programs that have problems with Windows 10 but fixes are on the way)

Price to performance the PC wipes the floor with a MAC, (A PC costs a 3rd of the price of a MAC for the same performance) however they do tend to be ugly. (If you go for a posh looking PC then the prices end up almost at MAC level)

Apple products dont talk nicely with none Apple products (There are more loopholes to jump through) to try and force owners into having all Apple products, however the PC will work with virtually everything.

If you have always used MACs (Or Apple products in general) then there is no reason to change, likewise if you have allways used PCs (And providing you have Windows 7 or above (Ideally Windows 10) then again there is no need to change.

Forget the MAC vs PC wars, as it is a none entity these days, with only die hards promoting one or the other.

Hope this helps

Bill
That pretty much sums it up. Your a man who knows his pc & mac.*good*

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Following on from Abacus's post, engineering software such as Autodesk products did not run on Macs until relatively recently so PC's became the choice of engineers as well as business types whilst Macs were the choice of the "creatives". Because creative types are considered to be way cooler than engineers by most "unaligned" people, together with the undoubted superior design of Macs, they became style icons so wannabee cool people had to be seen with a Mac - the positive feedback loop thus generated more and more sales of Macs. The masterstroke was the introduction of the ipod and iphone and the resultant Mac ecosystem, which just supercharged that feedback loop.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Ditched the CD player this year and went completely computer, etc. based. All Apple, because most of my devices are Apple and they play nicely together.

The only reason I'd consider going back to a PC is because Word for Mac is very buggy and crashes very frequently. There's some work related software that also worked better on PC.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I assemble my own PCs at home on the kitchen table, according to need and budget. I can go up or down on the CPU spec., amount of RAM I fit, whether to use old fashioned "spinning rust" hard discs or those new-fangled solid state thingumies, up or down on the graphics cards, add or not add wifi, fiber optic and coaxial audio outputs, big case, small case, standard hifi box sized case, black case, red case, fluorescent pink case were I so minded, etc. etc.

Each component will probably come from a different manufacturer, and I can chose from two main CPU brands - intel and AMD.

I've never heard of anyone successfully assembling their own Mac from scratch, but give it 30 seconds....

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
I've never heard of anyone successfully assembling their own Mac from scratch, but give it 30 seconds....

hackintosh... not strictly legal mind, but there's plenty of people who have done it :)

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
i also have replaced my CD player with PC playback .... and at first i was using itunes but the issue with itunes is that you can only use mp3, AAC and WAV ie you cannot use FLAC and since im using a 50" TV as my PC monitor i had to decide between these interfaces ie

THIS = itunes with WAV

itunes%20-%20kim%20waters%201_zpshminbnrm.jpg

VS same album with Foobar2000 and Darkone V4.0 skin by Tedgo

foobar%20-%20kim%20waters_zpswurlx9kl.jpg

or different skin therefore different interface with Foobar2000

color_zpsaffzunjz.jpg

really a no brainer after seeing that. I dont use itunes to purchase music therefore i dont use itunes at all anymore and now my entire collection of PC music files stored on my server is only FLAC

D

Deleted member 108165

Wow naughty, (exclusive Foobar user here too), love those skins sir *smile* Do you have the name of design/author of the second skin?

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
DougK said:
Wow naughty, (exclusive Foobar user here too), love those skins sir *smile* Do you have the name of design/author of the second skin?

the first one is "Darkone V4.0 by Tedgo"

and the second one is called "Xch4nge by Brett"

both can be found over at deviant art or you can do a google search for them - the second one also has a video on youtube that helps you to install it .... it starts off just as a simple rectangle but you can add partitions and right click to add functionality to those partitions and you can then tweak the color etc to how you like. The picture depicts my current settings but i can easily change those and add or replace lots of functionality

i also wrote a small guide on how to install these over at another forum which includes details on how to get them and also easy instructions on installing them .... you should find all you need to know about both skins including download links over here

http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,48954.0.html

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
...but if we're grading a piece of software on how well it looks, posting-up a screen-grab of an old iTunes several generations from current isn't exactly a fair fight. The dice was loaded from the start. Also you can't embed album art in WAV files no matter what player you use.

Just for the sake of a little balance here...

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-08%20at%2022.55.06_zpsb42u2vfn.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-08%20at%2022.57.19_zpsbvfpdyrb.png

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
@ majorfubar what i posted is what itunes looked like when i stopped using it .... so it was always on a hiding to nothing as far as i am concerned

as for the cover art bit you have to use AAC or mp3 for the art to embed and those are lossy codecs and while i realise that ALAC can also be used and is lossless there is very little besides apple and their proprietary stuff that can use ALAC files, so if you want to avoid the limitations of WAV the "no brainer" codec is FLAC which you will not be able to persuade itunes to play

either way im glad for apple users that they managed to realise that the old user interface was boring and colorless and they updated it a bit for you .... to me though its too little too late

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts