Mac + Lavry

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Apologies to PJPro firstly, as I hadn't realised this section existed until yesterday ! I've been twittering on about DAC's in other sections of the forum. I was hoping there would be some high-end DAC reviews in the mag soon, but I don't think it's planned anytime soon.

Anyway, just wanted to flag up some musings about the Lavery DA10 DAC . I'm planning on upgrading some kit soon and have been dipping into the Naim forum for various bits and pieces. Although I originally wasn't looking for a DAC, one particular subject caught my attention. It seems there's an energetic debate going on with folks who are using this particular DAC, along with a MAC as source, and linking it into their Naim gear...It really sems to be getting high praise, even from CD555 owners saying it almost (or does) match the sound from their £15k players ! For a £600 box, that's high praise indeed, and it's even getting some folk there to question Naim's approach to DAC's and the relative quality of the inbuilt DAC in the SN integrated, as well as the quality and position in the market for the new HDX, when it may be bettered by this approach. As the HDX was potentially on my shopping list, it's pretty serious when loyal Naim feedback is suggesting a £600 DAC and MAC Pro/Laptop/Mini/TV (all of which I have anyway) can at least match it.....

It's a bit long and bickering in places, but if your interested it's here. I'm slightly amazed Naim are leting it run on at present.

If it's as good as they are saying, at that price, it will be hard ignore. Im certainly going to check it out for streaming stuff into my planned system.

Just thought I would flag it up, as I hadn't heard the name before in conjunction to the usual DAC suspects, and I have a feeling it is going to have a fair few fans...

SC

black_da_10.jpg

A

Anonymous

I've been meaning for a while to write a review on my Benchmark DAC1 which I have teamed with a Mac and a Naim Nait5i but haven't got around to it yet. I have not heard the Lavry, but I have a bunch of other DAC's around the price range (Stello, Apogee, Harmony) and the Benchmark came out tops for me.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I would be interested in a review of the Stello. I've got a Beresford DAC for use with my PC (I'm using it now). Great bit of kit, especially as it comes with the headphone amp, which I use with my Grado SR80s.

I have long been considering buying the Stello DAC and associated headphone amp, so would be interested in any views....particularly as I'm unable to audition. It also provides a USB connection, allowing me to bypass my SB Xtreme Gamer sound card.

Having said all that, the exchange rate against the dollar isn't too good at the moment resulting in a significant increase in cost for the Stello.

A

Anonymous

I can probably get the Stello cheap down in Singapore (can send some back for you boys!)....I haven't yet gone looking for the Lavry....there are a couple of dealers for the UK now for the Lavry, but yeah, with the $ at 1.7, not as good a deal as 2 months ago....

I certainly think it's going to be between those two DACs, unless I find a dirt cheap Chord and like the sound.

TRENDING THREADS