MA PL 100 II - Best amps 2,0-3,5 K GBP

postup_crni

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello.
What amplifiers would you suggest to properly drive these MAs (budget 2,0-3,5 K)? I will also try them with my Marantz PM11 S2.
Reason: available at a hefty discount locally; also, I have very good memories of MA 200 gold.
Thxs,
postup

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
Hello.
What amplifiers would you suggest to properly drive these MAs (budget 2,0-3,5 K)? I will also try them with my Marantz PM11 S2.
Reason: available at a hefty discount locally; also, I have very good memories of MA 200 gold.
Thxs,
postup
What makes you think the PM11S2 will not be able to drive them?
What other requirements do you have in an amp?
Does it need to have an inbuilt DAC, phono stage or headphone section?

postup_crni

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
What makes you think the PM11S2 will not be able to drive them?
What other requirements do you have in an amp?
Does it need to have an inbuilt DAC, phono stage or headphone section?
I will certainly try the Marantz first (it was very good with MA Gold 200 some time ago, that's why I'm interested in MA speakers, and particularly in PL100 due to the room limitations). Phono is not required (no TT), headphone section not a deal breaker. The same goes for the DAC. My preference is for a separate DAC/streamer unit, otherwise, for the sake of convenience, I would consider something lika Naim Uniti Nova (and then add matching speakers).
Re. Marantz, I would also like to change to a faster, tighter sound, with better imaging (room limitations, speakers have to placed on a shorter side of the room). I have Martin Logan Electromotion ELS and they are not particularly good pairing in my present room (change of room seriously impaired the sound).
Should I decide to keep the speakers and sell the amp, there is a better alternative to Marantz (I have auditioned MLs with Naim Supernait 3, also with Hegel 390; I preferred Naim, both better than the Marantz). Still have to arrange a home demo, but I suspect it will not be stellar ....

I have not auditioned the MA 100PLII yet, but they seem to check many boxes for me (very good reviews, size and price ...). Normally, MA and Marantz should be good pairing, but I would like to get advice from people who got good results with these speakers and other amps, just to shorten my search and auditioning :)
Thxs,
postup

Funily enough I was going to suggest the OP looked at Primare and Leema amps, I have heard both working very well with MA speakers, however not the PL100.
For some strange reason I also think Sugden would do well here, but that's just my opinion

Funily enough I was going to suggest the OP looked at Primare and Leema amps, I have heard both working very well with MA speakers, however not the PL100.
For some strange reason I also think Sugden would do well here, but that's just my opinion
Of you cast your mind back I had the RS6s with the Pulse long before buying the PMCs. Worked really well together.

Also IIRC Voodoodoc upgraded the Tucana to Leema Pyxis preamp and the accompanying power amp. Clearly, based on my own experience and the 'doc' the pairing works a treat.

Reactions: Al ears
Of you cast your mind back I had the RS6s with the Pulse long before buying the PMCs. Worked really well together.

Also IIRC Voodoodoc upgraded the Tucana to Leema Pyxis preamp and the accompanying power amp. Clearly, based on my own experience and the 'doc' the pairing works a treat.
I remember your kit and, very vaguely, the docs . Think he had it paired with the Hydra power amp.

My preference is for a separate DAC/streamer unit, otherwise, for the sake of convenience

Lyngdorf Audio's TDAI-3400 is also worth bearing in mind.

For a straight forward stereo integrated amplifier Sugden Audio's Masterclass ANV-50, PrimaLuna's Evo 300 or the Evo 400 are also worth considering. Fwiw, we recently sold an Evo 400 integrated to go pair with PL200's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts