MA GX50 Speakers for my home cinema set up

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
HI,
Im considering changing the front Left/Right speakers (currently kef Q10's, circa 1994) with a pair of MA GX50 Speakers. The current centre speaker is a Kef XQ50 (which im happy with). The Electronics are Arcam FMJ AV9 with 3 x P35 Power amplifiers for the speaker arrangement.

My question is, would the MA GX 50 speakers sound better than the Kef Q10's? The speakers have to be small and reasonably discrete (as best can be)

Rears are currently Kef Egg 3005's but these could be replaced with another pair of GX50's.

Any thoughts or comments?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
It might sound ok. But if you're thinking of future upgrades to other parts of your 5.1. I'd suggest changing your centre asap to match the GX50s at the front.
It'd be a shame to have mismatched but quality speakers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There's two routes for you here Selby.

Firstly, if you're really interested in the MA's, you could get the GX50's and start gradually changing over to an MA GX package. Always keep the centre the same manufacturer, so I would strongly recommend changing the centre to match asap. Rears, being less important, can wait a little, or youmay be perfectly happy with what they provide. The sub isn't important as far as matching as concerned, so you can stick with whatever you have.

The other route is to expand on what you already have. Many people have started with 2005 and 3005 packages, and updated the front three, and changed the rears later, or even kept them as they're happy with how well they integrate with the fronts. You already have an XQ50 centre, so a matching pair of XQ10's will match in with it, and with the 3005's being a UniQ design as well, they'll work perfectly well with those front three. You should find some good prices on the XQ series as it is now discontinued and being replaced with the new R series.

The first thing is to identify which route you want to take. Either of these packages will make an excellent home cinema setup.

Selby said:
HI, Im considering changing the front Left/Right speakers (currently kef Q10's, circa 1994) with a pair of MA GX50 Speakers. The current centre speaker is a Kef XQ50 (which im happy with). The Electronics are Arcam FMJ AV9 with 3 x P35 Power amplifiers for the speaker arrangement. My question is, would the MA GX 50 speakers sound better than the Kef Q10's? The speakers have to be small and reasonably discrete (as best can be) Rears are currently Kef Egg 3005's but these could be replaced with another pair of GX50's. Any thoughts or comments?

Hi Selby

Although the Q10's are impressive however a pair of GX50's will offer greater levels of performance in many comparable areas. I'll also recommend that you should also ideally considering replacing the XQ50 with the GXC150 as otherwise you'll hear the XQ50 separated from the GX50's in a far too obvious manner.

Replacing the 3005's with another pair of GX50's as rear speakers will be the icing on the cake as it will help create an even tonal balance, with greater coherence and a more precise soundfield all around.

Btw, do you also use a sub woofer? If so, what make/model do you use please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

If possible it would perhaps be even better to use just 5 GX50's rather 4 GX50's and a GXC150. With the possible addition of a sub. Even if the GXC and GX's are matched, using 5 identical speakers would be likely to provide an even greater match.

The reason I am not following this in my setup is that having RX8 rears and center would give me quite a headache in positioning, the room is not that large.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Identical speakers all round will always work best, but obviously that's not always physically possible, especially in the average living room where aesthetics play a role in dictating placement.

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rick

I use a Monitor Audio FB212 Sub Woofer. Its a serious bit of kit and pleased with this unit and its something which I wont change out.

However I do wish to change my Front Speakers and the MA GX50 Speakers have caught my eye, they look good and probably built very well. I own a pair of PL100 speakers for my 'Main stereo' System and if only they made a pint sized edition of these then I wouldnt hesitate !

Would the combination of a Kef XQ50 and 2 GX50 fronts sound odd?

Thanks,

Selby

Selby said:
Hi Rick

I use a Monitor Audio FB212 Sub Woofer. Its a serious bit of kit and pleased with this unit and its something which I wont change out.

However I do wish to change my Front Speakers and the MA GX50 Speakers have caught my eye, they look good and probably built very well. I own a pair of PL100 speakers for my 'Main stereo' System and if only they made a pint sized edition of these then I wouldnt hesitate !

Would the combination of a Kef XQ50 and 2 GX50 fronts sound odd?

Thanks,

Selby

Hi Selby

Thanks for your reply.

The FB212 is indeed a serious sub woofer :twisted: Definitely worth holding on to for a while :grin:

Firstly GX50's will overall give you much better performance then the Q10's. However as the XQ50 has a different presentation to GX50's it will therefore not gel effectively with the GX50's and will standout instead. As space is an issue a far better bet will be the matching GXC150. The GXC150 will match the qualities of the GX50's and help form a seamless whole :)

The GX50's are indeed very well built. Over the last last few days i've been using them with a QBD76, Beat B-200 Plus and FPB600 and they sound superb.

Btw, Platinum PL100's are very nice indeed 8) Out of interest what electronics do you use with the PL100's please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rick The system I use with My PL100 speakers are

Chord Electronics CPA1800 pre-amp

2 x Denon POA-QS10 Monobloc Amplifiers (hooked up to Pre-amp via AQ Diamond XLR I/C's)

Marantz CD23 player - a great sounding CD player but overheats after an hour!, Musical Fidelity A5CD, a Pioneer LX50 DVD Player (output hooked up to an Arcam rDac) for Playback via a Sony LCD Panel. Interconnects are VDH the First

Speaker cable is VDH Revolution Hybrid (Shotgun cables).

Just wished my Arcam Home cinema setup came close to it....but it doesnt, hence Im considering the MA GX50 speakers for my existing setup!

Thanks,

selby

Hi Selby

Thanks for your reply.

Excellent components :grin: although its a shame about the overheating problem with the CD23 as it is indeed a great sounding and a great looking cd player :)

Btw, how do you find the Denon POA-QS10 :twisted: monobloc amplifers?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rick
TH Denon Monoblocs are stunning and can drive anything. I dont understand why Denon stopped making them as these items are stunning. If they were still available Id replace my 3 P35 amps with them (and get a Bigger AV Unit to house it all).

Re the CD23, by all accounts the CD Drive mech, a philips CDM9 had a history of failings but your right, when its put to use the sound is stunning. I mostly use the MF A5 now - even though it has a clunky tray mechanism. Almost comedy really when you compare it to the Japanese kit thats out there.

Hi Selby

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the Denon monoblocs mean business :twisted: Denon have produced some cracking products. You may recall their POA-6600 monoblocs and the DAP-5500 digital/analog pre amplifier. Excellent products :grin:

Btw, any chance of some pictures of your POA-QS10 amps and CD23? :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts