MA BR5, but with what?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought a pair of MA BR5s having read the WHF review and listened to them. I am now wondering what to partner them with and what I should spend. I am currently using my other system's Marantz CD5001/PM4001 (usually played through Mission M31is) to run the BR5s in - which they now are. I find I have to turn the volume up too much to get the detail the speakers are capable of providing and that there is a serious lack of control around the mid-range and treble causing harshness of either dependending on what I am listening to (which, by the way, is a very eclectic mix - I love accoustic music: folk, classical, jazz, but also Radiohead does get played a lot as does Feist, Cat Power, Richard Hawley, etc). I do not play at very loud volume often as I only get to really listen in evenings/night and I have a family to think of, but occasionally have a blast.

Having just read March's WH review of the Marantz PM6002 I was wondering whether the Marantz CD6002/PM6002 would also suffer the same problems, i.e. is the PM6002 just a more powerful PM4001 or will there be a really significant improvement in space, separation, clarity and control. Or, do I need to stretch the budget further to make the most of the BR5s. If so, where should I draw a line where the speakers would be letting the system down (I'll only be drawn into upgrading them if that happens and I've only just bought them!). I've considered stretching all the way to a Cyrus CD6/6vs2 or even an 8vs2, but only if I need to to get a 'significant' improvement over CD5001/PM4001.

Grateful for any advice on the CD6002/PM6002 with the BR5s plus any alternatives to match the speakers given my musical taste. Room size is 4m x 4m. Currently a solid oak floor which doesn't help, but that's to get a nice rug soon. Please do not advise different speakers or I will be really upset.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I'm finding the PM6002 to be completely free of any kind of harshness at the top end, a relaxed listen at fair volumes for extended periods. I wonder though if the issue is that your speakers need a bit of juice through them to perform at their peak... and I think that would be true of most (all?) speakers?
I'd advise you to move into a detached house in its own plot of land in the country (no neighbours) and / or get rid of the wife and kids if that's what's holding you back. Those are my next planned upgrades, which are likely to be pricier than any of the previous ones, unfortunately.

A

Anonymous

At least you didn't recommend different speakers, just a different life.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="audioPhil"]
At least you didn't recommend different speakers, just a different life.
[/quote]

Getting a divorce may seem expensive, but the following upgraditis that would result would mean it could be very expensive.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
To be honest Phil, my advice would be buy whatever you can afford and a bit more, and in the long run it will save you money as you won't have to upgrade quite as often. Only thing you can do is go and listen to a few things through BR5s which are widely stocked and then take your pick. Let your ears do the talking.

A

Anonymous

Actually, my other half has actually commented on how much she likes the sound of the Marantz compared to its predecessor, so maybe there's hope for you too. Seriously though, I'm sure your speakers are just great, you might get a bit more out of them at the same volume level by upgrading the amp, but I'd say definitely take your speakers along to somewhere who'll give you a demo to check that you're getting what you consider to be value for money over your current amp. Hopefully some of our other forum members can suggest alternative amps you could check out too.

Edit: by "predecessor" I meant the amp that I used to have, rather than another amp in the Marantz range.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have MA BR5's and it took them ages (about a month) to be completely run in, they especially sounded god awful when first bi-wired!! They definitely sound better with the spikes on, as opposed to just the pads, especially on a wooden floor...though expect a few odd scratches... and probably a bollocking from the wife!!

I was running them with an old set up, Cambridge Audio D300SE, CA C500 and 2x CA P500 amps, and they needed a fair bit of cranking to get the best out, but this was all in the attic so giving it the beans wasn't a problem...

I have got a marantz cd6000ose ltd ed, with CA C500 and just 1 P500 now, and it sounds great through the MA's, but again, they want a good amount of current to really sing.

I am interested to know how you go on though, as an amp upgrade is imminent for myself too.....

Neil.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="audioPhil"]

.... I was wondering whether the Marantz CD6002/PM6002 would also suffer the same problems, i.e. is the PM6002 just a more powerful PM4001 or will there be a really significant improvement in space, separation, clarity and control. Or, do I need to stretch the budget further to make the most of the BR5s. If so, where should I draw a line where the speakers would be letting the system down....

[/quote]
Well this is precisely the reason why I had gone for PM7001, thanks to Mr.E for helping me choose that over the PM6002. When I was auditioning, as much as I liked the CDP, I was not really happy with the amp, to be frank. If you can push it a bit, go for the above mentioned amp with the excellent CD6002. Best Regards.

A

Anonymous

Any more views on PM7001 vs PM6002 (with discount there's not much between them in price) and what about any other competition / shortlist to listen to (drummerman)? Thanks for the advice so far.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nedtom"]

I have MA BR5's and it took them ages (about a month) to be completely run in...

I have got a marantz cd6000ose ltd ed, with CA C500 and just 1 P500 now, and it sounds great through the MA's, but again, they want a good amount of current to really sing.

I am interested to know how you go on though, as an amp upgrade is imminent for myself too.....

Neil.

[/quote]

Been for a listen to the Marantz PM7001 and the PM6002 amplifiers today, both with the CD6002. IMO big improvement when using the PM7001 over the PM6002, it really took me by surprise considering the relative prices. The former was more refined with tighter control resulting in a less booming and interfering bass. There was definitely more space which reminded me of the difference I notice when playing vinyl on my project III over the same music on CD (both through the PM4001). Also, there was less treble drop-off at lower volumes (below 9 o'clock), something that has been plaguing me with the PM4001 (whether with the original Mission M31is or the MA BR5s), put this down to the extra power and control. Definitely the PM7001 over the PM6002, might have one final listen before parting with my money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts