MA BR5 AV 5.1 V MA R270HD, 250HD (centre),180HD(rear), 370HD

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade from KEF 2005.2 package to give an improved music performance. MA seem to be one of the few mainstream speaker makers that do on-wall rears, which my room set up requires. (5m x 4.5m). A previous thread on here suggested that BR5 AV was the way to go when compared to the previous Radius series. Would this stand good for the Radius HD package as above? - the svelte appearance of the Radius HD is beguiling, but I could just about accommodate the BR set-up, and the large price differential is persuasive.

Local retailer says BR5s is vastly more musical than 270HD, but then again only stocks/demos the BR5s ...

Or would I be better upgrading by stealth with some new KEF floorstanders and a centre? Reviews of the IQ50 etc don't inspire me to demo.

I'm also looking at upgrading to a dedicated BD player and new AV amp, with combined budget around £1000 (having seen deals on goodies such as the Pioneer BD LX52 and Denon 2310 amp for just over). Now trying to desist until WHF Awards offers more demo pointers.

Any thoughts/ advice/ derision is appreciated.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't rule out the Kef IQ50 just because a reviewer didn't like them. I would not buy speakers off the back of reviews or online opinion. You need to hear them for yourself and make your own mind up. A review is just an opinion, okay the reviewers get to hear a lot more kit than most of us but in the end, what one person likes, someone else dislikes. It's as simple as that. However, you're right in that a review is a good basis for a demo but I wouldn't dismiss it completely. IMO Kef, MA, B&W, Tannoy, Focal, Quad etc. etc. don't make bad speakers, they just might not suit you. I have owned Tannoy, I thought the Refs would be great because I loved my old Mercury and Mercury MX and the reviews were favourable. As it turned out, I hated the Tannoy Refs and sent them back. I will never buy speakers again without hearing them in the flesh!!

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
d4v3pum4 - thanks for the sensible advice. Although several reviews I've read aren't encouraging, I will give the IQ50s a hearing.

I would also demo most of the other brands you mention (my office is 50 yards from a B&W dealer with the 685s sitting in the window). But I can't seem to find a full sized speaker package with wall-mountable slimish rears other than the MA offerings. Anybody know of alternatives?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Jonnyhifi:
d4v3pum4 - thanks for the sensible advice. Although several reviews I've read aren't encouraging, I will give the IQ50s a hearing.

I would also demo most of the other brands you mention (my office is 50 yards from a B&W dealer with the 685s sitting in the window). But I can't seem to find a full sized speaker package with wall-mountable slimish rears other than the MA offerings. Anybody know of alternatives?

Have you thought about getting mountable sat speakers as your rears with full size speakers at the front - I have this set up and it's very good.

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Gerrard. I had thought about maybe KEF IQ floorstanders and KEF centre allowing me to keep the exisiting sub and rears without upsetting 'tonal balance', but was looking for other options to demo as well (also my 2005.2 sub/sats are silver - I'd like to convert to black in darkened cinema room). The BR5 package seemed to be a reasonable all-in-one option to explore so wondered about people's views on it's performance compared to the Radius HD set up. (Anyone else?)

Interesting then that you've successfully combined RS and Radius. Do you use a centre channel?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts