M-Dac power partner

Philhorn

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I've got an Audiolab M-DAC with which I play cd's and flac files using Senni's HD700's. The sound's great but I would like to unchain myself from the headphones so a power amp and speakers are next on the list. In a perfect world I would have brought the DAC-V1 from Naim since I've always been a big fan of the company since the 80's but the Audiolab was half the price and I wanted to keep to my budget. Top of my list is, of course the Naim, Nap 100 power amp. At £750 I am wondering if I would still be able to get the 'Naim Sound' when linked to the M-DAC. Would the two products be compatable?

The speakers, I'm not so fussy about but need to be compact since I live abroad and will be shipping things back in the future but recommendations for audition are very welcome.

(I listen to a wide range of music from Brahms to Bowie, Prince to Mahler, Stevie to Beethoven 4tets)

Cheers

Philhorn said:
Hi

I've got an Audiolab M-DAC with which I play cd's and flac files using Senni's HD700's. The sound's great but I would like to unchain myself from the headphones so a power amp and speakers are next on the list. In a perfect world I would have brought the DAC-V1 from Naim since I've always been a big fan of the company since the 80's but the Audiolab was half the price and I wanted to keep to my budget. Top of my list is, of course the Naim, Nap 100 power amp. At £750 I am wondering if I would still be able to get the 'Naim Sound' when linked to the M-DAC. Would the two products be compatable?

The speakers, I'm not so fussy about but need to be compact since I live abroad and will be shipping things back in the future but recommendations for audition are very welcome.

(I listen to a wide range of music from Brahms to Bowie, Prince to Mahler, Stevie to Beethoven 4tets)

Cheers

It might work. You'll have to audition though. Personally I wouldn't mix brands but that's just me.

Correction:- Isn't the M-Dac just a dac and not a preamp?

Philhorn

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi Al ears,

I was always under the impression that you could run a DAC (like a pre amp) through a power amp since a intergrated amp are the two componants in a single box. Am I wrong on this?

Philhorn said:
Hi Al ears,

I was always under the impression that you could run a DAC (like a pre amp) through a power amp since a intergrated amp are the two componants in a single box. Am I wrong on this?

Only if it is actually a DAC / pre I believe. Could be wrong but think you're looking at an integrated amp not a power amp.

Best check with Audiolab as they recommend it is used with their 8300A, which is an integrated amp.

The M-Dac obviously has enough power to drive headphones but is not the same thing.

insider9

My understanding that M-Dac can be used with a power amp. M-Pwr was designed for that purpose at can be had for not much nowadays. Don't see why having a diiferent power amp wouldn't work. Although having Naim power and Audiolab pre would in all likelihood not give you Naim sound.

insider9 said:
My understanding that M-Dac can be used with a power amp. M-Pwr was designed for that purpose at can be had for not much nowadays. Don't see why having a diiferent power amp wouldn't work. Although having Naim power and Audiolab pre would in all likelihood not give you Naim sound.

I stand corrected...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/audiolab-m-dac-preamp

Apparently some call them DAC Preamps and others don't..... even when they are.

I guess you'd be limited to digital devices though.

TRENDING THREADS