M-DAC+ audio 'flood' at higher volumes

NickC1969

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
I have an Audiolab M-DAC+, a chord epic 1m USB cable to my laptop, a pair of P9 Signature headphones.
At higher volumes some music kind of 'floods' the sound with I guess a mid-range 'tone' that is very difficult to listen too...I have tried FLAC and direct CD listening and the same result...I have the filter recommended by 'what hifi' which is 'Optimal Transcient XD' set on the DAC.
Is this just a result of the source coming from a laptop and normal or is it something else that can be adjusted?
thanks?

Friesiansam

I have an Audiolab M-DAC+, a chord epic 1m USB cable to my laptop, a pair of P9 Signature headphones.
At higher volumes some music kind of 'floods' the sound with I guess a mid-range 'tone' that is very difficult to listen too...I have tried FLAC and direct CD listening and the same result...I have the filter recommended by 'what hifi' which is 'Optimal Transcient XD' set on the DAC.
Is this just a result of the source coming from a laptop and normal or is it something else that can be adjusted?
thanks?
What is the specification of the laptop also, what music playing software are you using and, do you use ASIO or WASAPI drivers?

NickC1969

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
The laptop is a lenovo legion 5 and its pretty powerful...i5 10th gen, 8GB RAM, RTX 2060.
I use the new improved WMP for windows 11 which has been completely revamped and also I was using VLC player, I also was using TIDAL.
As far as drivers go I have no idea unfortunately...

NickC1969

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
Direct CD listening?
So connected to the digital output of a CD player?....tried with the laptop completely disconnected from the DAC and switched off?
I meant I played from a CD player connected to the laptop as opposed to a digital file.
I don't have any other sound sources apart from the laptop...
I would just like to add I never experienced this phenomenon on my previous DAC a Sabaj D5 :(

Friesiansam

When I had an M-DAC, if I remember correctly the instructions recommended using ASIO drivers. I looked up the manual for M-DAC+ and Audiolab recommend installing the drivers on the supplied cd-rom, have you done that to see if it improves matters?

NickC1969

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
I guess this DAC is just more sensitive to sound source it being a better DAC...its still listenable just at not very loud volumes...I can live with that...thanks for all your help :)

"When I had an M-DAC, if I remember correctly the instructions recommended using ASIO drivers. I looked up the manual for M-DAC+ and Audiolab recommend installing the drivers on the supplied cd-rom, have you done that to see if it improves matters? "
Yes I installed the drivers :)

Gray

I meant I played from a CD player connected to the laptop as opposed to a digital file.
I don't have any other sound sources apart from the laptop...
I would just like to add I never experienced this phenomenon on my previous DAC a Sabaj D5 :(
What is the CD player Nick?
A standalone unit? Or the one built into the laptop?
You can see what I'm getting at can't you?

Let me explain. If the CD player that you say is 'connected to the laptop' is a standalone player with a digital output then you could connect that directly to the DAC - something that would aid your elimination process.

NickC1969

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
What is the CD player Nick?
A standalone unit? Or the one built into the laptop?
You can see what I'm getting at can't you?

Let me explain. If the CD player that you say is 'connected to the laptop' is a standalone player with a digital output then you could connect that directly to the DAC - something that would aid your elimination process.
Its just a very simple USB CD/DVD drive that I got for £12 off ebay....it doesn't have any outs at all just the USB plug...I know this probably disgusts the audiophiles among you lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts