M-Audio soundcards

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Thinking about upgrading my Xfi Soundblaster card to the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or 192 but it seems that MS Vista is not listed as an OS in the system spec.

Anyone know if these cards will actually work under Vista?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
hmmm. remember reading a while ago that they had sorted drivers, but sp1 has probably thrown a spanner in the works, as i think my reading was before sp1.

let us know what you think if you get one.

A

Anonymous

Have you thought of using an external USB DAC instead? Unless I'm missing something I don't get the point of installing an internal soundcard when you can just connect something like the Fubar externally. It doesn't cost that much more ($137 plus postage) and it allows you to connect any PC including a notebook via USB. No issues with drivers because Vista, Mac, Linux all just see it as an external soundcard. You can also get the Fubar with a headphone amp for not much more. To me it seems as though it will give better sound quality and be future proofed. Having found that some of my hardware is not supported under Vista that sounds like a good thing to me! Plus switch to a Mac and it all still works and use a USB switch and it'll work with both without needing to be disconnected from either. Just press the button. And if you don't want to import it from Canada it's available from Russ Andrews. Am I missing something?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Well, I already have a DAC - a Beresford. Just thought I might be able to improve my PC as a source further by swopping out the Creative Sound Blaster XFi Extreme Gamer soundcard for an M-Audio Audiophile.

To be honest, I'm looking for something to buy and it seemed a good, relatively inexpensive option.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm. Alwys thought they were quite popular round these here parts.

Tho, imo, theyre not the "seizemic(S?) shift on a budget" that some paint them as.

Sorry sir, my experience isnt yet wide enough to give you alternatives.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
no, it seems to be a growing movement, tho "hard drive based sources" are probably more popular. I'm still using a pc for now, due to lack of money and indecisiveness.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:Well, I already have a DAC - a Beresford. Just thought I might be able to improve my PC as a source further by swopping out the Creative Sound Blaster XFi Extreme Gamer soundcard for an M-Audio Audiophile.

To be honest, I'm looking for something to buy and it seemed a good, relatively inexpensive option.

IMPE The M-Audio is the best you will get (analogue out) for not silly money in a PC soundcard...however, the Beresford through an SPDIF from a Creative sounds better...pointless upgrade imo.

A

Anonymous

Other options over M-Audio are the Auzentech X-Meridian or X-FiPrelude.

I picked up an X-Meridian (since replaced by the X-Fi Prelude) for about £100. Reviews stated that this was better than the M-Audio.

Awesome sound using my Grados. You can even swap out the Op-Amps on the card itself which I have done. Check out overclockers.co.uk

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
headfi:
Other options over M-Audio are the Auzentech X-Meridian or X-FiPrelude.

I picked up an X-Meridian (since replaced by the X-Fi Prelude) for about £100. Reviews stated that this was better than the M-Audio.

Awesome sound using my Grados. You can even swap out the Op-Amps on the card itself which I have done. Check out overclockers.co.uk

Its nbice to hear they have caught up, but then the 2496 is available for under £50.

A

Anonymous

He did say he wanted some other options so I've provided them! Asus Xonar is another card to look into.

Good price for the M-Audio though.

A

Anonymous

PJPro:Well, I already have a DAC - a Beresford. Just thought I might be able to improve my PC as a source further by swopping out the Creative Sound Blaster XFi Extreme Gamer soundcard for an M-Audio Audiophile.

To be honest, I'm looking for something to buy and it seemed a good, relatively inexpensive option.Am I missing something here? My understanding is that the Beresford doesn't have a USB input? Why would you want a PC soundcard when you can squirt the sound digitally straight out of the PC via USB. I had a Creative X-Fi Music card in my PC and when I got rid of it and replaced it with the Fubar I got much better sound instantly. No drivers, much greater flexibility and better sound. So what am I missing? What is the PC sound card doing for you but creating hassle? If you are using it for surround sound for gaming then I get it, but if it is for music what is the point of trying to get better sound out of a card surrounded by all the interference from a PC. Please, please do enlighten me if I'm missing the point.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
LeoL:PJPro:Well, I already have a DAC - a Beresford. Just thought I might be able to improve my PC as a source further by swopping out the Creative Sound Blaster XFi Extreme Gamer soundcard for an M-Audio Audiophile.

To be honest, I'm looking for something to buy and it seemed a good, relatively inexpensive option.Am I missing something here? My understanding is that the Beresford doesn't have a USB input? Why would you want a PC soundcard when you can squirt the sound digitally straight out of the PC via USB. I had a Creative X-Fi Music card in my PC and when I got rid of it and replaced it with the Fubar I got much better sound instantly. No drivers, much greater flexibility and better sound. So what am I missing? What is the PC sound card doing for you but creating hassle? If you are using it for surround sound for gaming then I get it, but if it is for music what is the point of trying to get better sound out of a card surrounded by all the interference from a PC. Please, please do enlighten me if I'm missing the point.

The Beresford is very good at what it does. It has a very good array of inputs (2 optical, 2 coax), and 2 sets of outputs (fixed and variable), and a headphone amp, and volume control. It can even be used as a preamp. I was using it from an xfi cards spdif out with headphones, and the sound is really good.
I since swapped to my desktop PC, which hasn't got SPDIF, so I tried a Trends UD 10.1, which in itself is a DAC, but it doesn't compare sound quality wise... quite thin sound. But it also doubles up as an external USB soundcard with an spdif, and I passed the sound back to the beresford and hey presto, lovely sound once more.
I am now using a Roland UA 1EX with the Beresford as it does a similar job, but supports 24/96.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts