LX83 60hz crossover?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys

I have read a lot about people recommeneding the CM8 speakers be set to a 60hz crossover. My only problem is I dont seem to have this option on the Lx83??

Am I missing something here. I have 50hz as the lowest and the next one above is 80hz. There is no 60hz option?

Hopefully someone can offer some help here :)

Thanks

A

Anonymous

80hz will be near enough :)

I wouldn't recomend using the 50hz crossover on the Pioneers - as it also acts as a filter for the LFE channel itself I think - it always has on PioneerAV receivers including on my AX10Ai - and is mentionned in the manual.

ie set crossover to 50hz - and you effectively (ignoring the slope) get anything below 50hz from the other speakers sent to the subwoofer - great stuff - perfect.... BUT you also LOOSE any LFE (the dedicated subwoofer channel on DVDs/Blurays) above 50hz !!

it doesn't get rerouted to the mains - its just discarded - which is not good at all.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Exactly what I found - notes dropping out if set to 50Hz. I stuck with 80Hz (with CM8s etc) and all fine. However, the Antimode connected to the s/w has been a godsend,as subwoofer is placed in corner.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you guys, great advice as always.

Ok so time to play around with it. It never ends you just end up tweaking and tweaking some more.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys

I have an update on this. I called Pioneer and asked this question as it was still bugging me. Pioneer have said that you can set to 50Hz because the receiver will go through the range of 50 - 70Hz at that setting, it operates on a curve. Even though it does not say 60HZ it still alternates between the curve of 50Hz - 70Hz and this was a Pioneer engineer giving the information. So 50Hz on the Pioneer is your 60Hz for those confused like I was.

Hope this helps all would be google searches on the topic ;)

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
duaplex said:
Hi Guys

I have an update on this. I called Pioneer and asked this question as it was still bugging me. Pioneer have said that you can set to 50Hz because the receiver will go through the range of 50 - 70Hz at that setting, it operates on a curve. Even though it does not say 60HZ it still alternates between the curve of 50Hz - 70Hz and this was a Pioneer engineer giving the information. So 50Hz on the Pioneer is your 60Hz for those confused like I was.

Hope this helps all would be google searches on the topic ;)

This is interesting Duaplex, so was he saying that the Pioneer somehow adjusts the cross over on the fly, or was he refering to the roll-off of the sub at the cross over point to the main speakers?

I would still do your tinkering to see which sounds best. I remember when I had my Monitor Audio RS8's; they were capable of going quite low, but when I set the cross-over higher (at 80Hz), I got a definite improvement in the top end and mid range, an increase in clarity and definition. Something to do with more amplifier power being available to those drivers rather than pushing loads of air with the bass drivers, I think was the technical logic behind it.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
What he means is that it's not a brick wall cut off point, so if the crossover point is set to 50Hz, it will gradually roll off, it may start to roll off at 60, and continue down to 40, for example.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
What he means is that it's not a brick wall cut off point, so if the crossover point is set to 50Hz, it will gradually roll off, it may start to roll off at 60, and continue down to 40, for example.

Thats what I suspected David, but didn't want to put words in Duaplex's mouth so to speak. And that, saying the roll off of the sub when set at 50Hz will pass through the 60Hz range on its way down, is not the same as setting a 60Hz cross over.

I.e. if speakers should crossed over at 60Hz, setting a crossover at 50Hz, will not be ideal (?) (I'm aware I am in danger of over simplifying here!)

(PS - Sad to see you decided to sell your M&K's on another well know forum David - what have you replaced them with?)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gdavies09031977 said:
I.e. if speakers should crossed over at 60Hz, setting a crossover at 50Hz, will not be ideal (?) (I'm aware I am in danger of over simplifying here!)

Personally, I wouldn't cross over any speakers at 50Hz, even floorstanders, uness they were very capable. At normal volumes it's fine but higher volumes could cause issues with some speakers. And as mentioned, there's the problem that standmount speakers may not reach 50Hz well enough to avoid a percieved 'hole' in the signal.

(PS - Sad to see you decided to sell your M&K's on another well know forum David - what have you replaced them with?)

I daren't say! :rofl:

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
B&W seem ok with this particular setup being set to 60Hz. However the main issue is with the LX83 and what its really doing at 50Hz. According to Pioneer its oscillating between 50 - 80HZ it does not drop below that. What they have said is that setting the AV to 50HZ is the same as having it 60Hz.

Of course this does not mean that it will not dip to 50Hz and there is the problem. Im starting to feel that setting to 80Hz is the better option at this point as its going to 50Hz will cause a problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts