LX54 from Sevenoks Sound and Vision at £219?? Is this........

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Bit of a dog in my experience. Got one free with an LX53 amp. Refuses to play random discs, and never got all the streaming features as promised.

It's a fine player with discs it likes, but nothing particularly special (didn't see much if any improvement over sony 370)

Recent firmware updates may have put paid to the above issues, but I gave up months ago. Think you can do a lot better for £219.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Jammoe said:
Bit of a dog in my experience. Got one free with an LX53 amp. Refuses to play random discs, and never got all the streaming features as promised.

It's a fine player with discs it likes, but nothing particularly special (didn't see much if any improvement over sony 370)

Recent firmware updates may have put paid to the above issues, but I gave up months ago. Think you can do a lot better for £219.

Thanks Jammoe

Just confirmed what I am picking up elsewhere!!

Looking to buy a decent BD player but at £200-£300 and not the £500 minimum that seems to be the ask (there must be something out there).

Any ideas?

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I certainly don't have a lot of experience with many players, but picked up a Panasonic 210 to score the free discs and it quickly became the first choice of player in my second system.

Don't know if they're still doing any free discs offers, but looks like you can get the player on amazon for about £145.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I had a similar experience to Jammoe to begin with but streaming is now sorted. Can play music and view pics from PC and watch YouTube clips from t'net.

Not had any problems with discs not playing.

Try before you buy??

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 would definitely be our choice at that price level, won our 2011 Product of the Year Award:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-dmp-bdt210

A

Anonymous

I had the same quandry as you not wanting to spend £500 and managed a side by side test of the new pioneer bdp lx55 to the panasonic 310 (needed dual HDMI). I decided that the £350 pioneer was worth a punt over the panasonic. It might be worth seeing if a local dealer has both in stock and do a comparison. It will be down to your perception and personal judgement in the end as to whether the extra spend is worth it or not. I also did not want the internet features that the panasonic has, this may be another differentiator for you.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
tigerpin said:
I had the same quandry as you not wanting to spend £500 and managed a side by side test of the new pioneer bdp lx55 to the panasonic 310 (needed dual HDMI). I decided that the £350 pioneer was worth a punt over the panasonic. It might be worth seeing if a local dealer has both in stock and do a comparison. It will be down to your perception and personal judgement in the end as to whether the extra spend is worth it or not. I also did not want the internet features that the panasonic has, this may be another differentiator for you.

tigerpin

was having a look yesterday ay the lx55, seems a very good player, and yes I will try for a side by side.

Seems the lx54 was a bit of a disaster all around from what I have read, but not so the 55, hopefully Pioneer have got it right now.

Will let you know how it goes.

A

Anonymous

It is very early days for the 55 in terms of discovering bugs and issues as it has only just been released. I have taken the risk that pioneer have learned from the 54 fiasco which I believe was a rebadged sharp player. As I understand it the 55 is a pioneer engineered product. I used to have a pioneer dvd player which was great, so I thought I would try again with the blu ray player.

I have had limited time with the player but the only issue I have with it so far with mine is that the drive mechanism is noisy when initially reading the disc. Apart from that so far it is ok. I have seen some noise in the US forums about the US equivalent player around SACD, but this does not concern me.

Try it, if it works for you great.

I would like to see if there is a planned review in an upcoming issue of the magazine. Any updates on this what hifi team?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I had lots of issues with my LX54 when I first got it and posted on here about it.

They ironed a lot of the issues out a few firmwares ago - however there has still been a few lingering ones, freezes trying to eject the disc once film finished - not end of world.

The sound and picture I think are both very good - I am talking sound with pqls on to the lX83 amp to very good B&W surround speakers.

To my ears I can clearly hear what PQLS is doing and really like it !

However I updated to the latest firmware and a few issues have crept in - only noticed with one film - Avatar Special Extednded Edition the motion of panning shots is not right and some of the edge definition is not right.

A real shame - 2 firmwares ago the picture / sound were both spot on but I updated to try and eradicate the odd freeze up when trying to eject the disc.

I have emailed Pioneer just now expalining the issues and will see what they say.

My Dad will hopefully be buying the Panasonic 55VT30 and a LX55 Blu ray so I will be able to comment on how good that is as player / tv combo - against my Pioneer LX5090 and LX54 combo.

Saw the Panasonic 55VT30 running off a Samsung blu ray in a shop - No Way, to me it was really letting the set down (if the set is as good as you read - i.e. a Kuro beater - not off that Blu Ray not even close )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts