Luxman Int. to Primare...worth it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello Experts,

I'd bought a pre-owned Luxman Integrated about 6 months back. Its ~12 years old Limited Edition model. I'm using them to drive my Dynaudio Excite 12s. They're doing a good job so far, powerful sound, solid build. They're rated 110W at 4 ohms. However, they might be begining to show signs of aging (brittle plastic speaker terminals, oxidation on the unused RCAs etc)

Do u think it would be a worthwile upgrade to a pre-owned Primare I30/ Plinius 9100 (or even Bryston) etc? Or should i just get the Luxmans change connectors/terminals, recapped etc,

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Hello, Dynaudio humbly rates all their speakers including the Excite X12s 4 ohms, but an independent lab test showed the Excite X12s have a nominal impedance of 10 ohms instead! Dynaudio always understates their speakers. On the other hand, according to some lab tests, the Monitor Audio BX5 speakers have a nominal impedance of 5 ohms as opposed to 8 ohms the manufacturer claims.

Luxman amplifiers are quite neutral and so are the Dynaudio speakers. If you like this combination you may also try Pass Labs and Plinius which also sound quite neutral to me with my Confidence C1s.

A

Anonymous

The Luxman you have comes from the period when Luxman had been taken over, and had begun producing budget products as well as their high-end ones. Therefore, it's hard to tell whether your amp is one of the good ones or a budget Alpine in fancy dress. The fact you say it's showing signs of wear makes me think it may not have been one of the top models. Whatever, the Plinius is definitely overkill for those speakers, good though they are. Basically I'd be looking around the Nait5i price range, not more unless you plan upgrading the speakers in the near future.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if it wasn't obvious, but i dont have a huge budget. :)

I've seen some used Primare/Plinius recently for around my budget (>1k). Hence the question. I'll keep an eye on pass labs too.

A

Anonymous

True.. this is my concern as well.

Mine says it's a limited edition L 5 0 3-s, made in japan, ultimate fidelty. It looks very similar to their current 505 models minus the power meters. It also looks solidly built with wooden top covers etc. but then i'm not really sure how to say the good ones from the average, being new to hifi and not seen many equipments.

A

Anonymous

Interesting you pick Yamaha, because that's the company Luxman was attempting to target when they went budget.

A

Anonymous

indising said:
Mine says it's a limited edition L 5 0 3-s, made in japan, ultimate fidelty. It looks very similar to their current 505 models minus the power meters. It also looks solidly built with wooden top covers etc. but then i'm not really sure how to say the good ones from the average, being new to hifi and not seen many equipments.
I remember I could hardly find much reviews/details on this amp when i was deciding to get this. Heard about this model anyone?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
indising said:
However, they might be begining to show signs of aging (brittle plastic speaker terminals, oxidation on the unused RCAs etc)

I am really suprised that a relatively recent Luxman amp of the prestigious L-50n series is exhibiting the symptoms you describe after only 12 years!

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
I am really suprised that a relatively recent Luxman amp of the prestigious L-50n series is exhibiting the symptoms you describe after only 12 years!

Well, to be fair, may be i was nit-picking...coz I still have a feeling that its very well built, despite the issues mentioned. Yeah, the speaker connectors terminals aren't the best quality i've seen recently - was trying to remove the clips/caps to insert the banana plugs and a small piece chipped off. But then, with the little i know of it, i'm sure they're among the easiest parts to replace. The RCAs, i was told might get oxidised if left open and unused for long time - hence should get caps. The CD & Tuner ones are quite ok though. However, i was not sure to spend on the Luxman or get some of ther other ones if that would make more sense.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The little plastic caps on speaker terminals usually come out with the tiniest amount of careful prising with a very small (electrical/jewellers) flat screwdriver at the edge of the cap. (you prise towards you so I don't know how you chipped the terminal as you don't touch that bit when getting the caps off.)

"The RCAs, i was told might get oxidised if left open and unused for long time..."

Are they oxidised or not? If not, don't worry (unless you live in a salt mine!) and enjoy your Luxman.

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
Are they oxidised or not? If not, don't worry (unless you live in a salt mine!) and enjoy your Luxman.

Thanks. Like i mentioned, the CD & Tuner ones are not oxidised. But then the line1,2 etc are. Hence connecting squeezebox etc, pose a problem. I've to do some digging on how to clean the terminals. I guess i should be able to clean them, as they are gold plated and oxidation should only be superficial.

However, i was really hoping enthusiasts/experts around here be able to share some thoughts from their experience help me take a call whether i should continue using Luxman (after recap etc.) or be on the lookout for a 3-4 year old reputed integrated like Primare/Plinius/Bryston/Denson etc. May be I'm asking too much. :)

From the feedback received so far from the good people here, it looks like i'm keeping the Luxman

A

Anonymous

Which Luxman amp's model do you have?

Lux and Accuphase amps are made like a tank to last for 20 years. If your Luxman is a high-end model, getting a Primare i30 will likely be downgrade.

A

Anonymous

Thanks,

This is the model.

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/luxman/integrated-amplifiers/l503s/PRD_418639_2717crx.aspx

A

Anonymous

Luxman L-503S is a rare model even in Japan.

I'm not sure, but I think moving to Primare i30 will not be a real step up. Maybe the latter is a bit more refined than the former but not enough to have your current amp replaced. Disregard the rated power of your amp as Luxman usually is quite conservative concerning power rating.

If I were you I would have L-503s serviced. Even if you decide to get a newer amp, keep the Lux with you, it's a fine amp. As L-503s is unknow in the UK, you'll likely not get a fair price for it. By the way, it worths about 650 pounds in Japan nowadays.

A

Anonymous

Audio Maniac said:
Luxman L-503S is a rare model even in Japan.

Yes...its a limited edition which came around 10-12 years back. Hence rare.

Audio Maniac said:
I'm not sure, but I think moving to Primare i30 will not be a real step up. Maybe the latter is a bit more refined than the former but not enough to have your current amp replaced. Disregard the rated power of your amp as Luxman usually is quite conservative concerning power rating.

Some more options apart from I30 are Densen/Plinius/Bryston etc. Other route ofcourse would be the L505u/ 550A. However, wondering how Lux sound signature compares to the others mentioned above.

I'm not after high-power amps. However, i'd like a little more sparkle at lower volumes. :)

A

Anonymous

When I get my Lux L-505u I was on shortage of money (Actually, I'm still on). If I had enough money, I'd have purchased L-550A or even L-590A.

Luxman is famous in Japan for its ss class A and tube amps. The former combines warmth, mids transparence, high end resolution and super low end control and timing. It's a kind of sweet sound, but never oversweet. Actually, it's a very natural sound.

About L-505u, it outperforms Primare i30 easily in all senses, but A/B topology amps have their limitation. I prefer class A amps (highs and mids are better). I can't comment about Plinius 9100 as I've never listened to any of Plinius products.

A

Anonymous

The fact that ClassAs run at full power even at low volumes sounds interesting.

Any idea how much does the 550A II cost in Japan? BTW, i read that the 509u combines the best of both worlds including full bodied sound and exceptional dynamics.

A

Anonymous

L-509u uses highly expensive and exotic parts but I think it's not fairly priced.

I've read reviews from Japaneses who prefer L-590AII to L-509u. The latter has bags of power and better dynamics but the former, according to some Japanese reviews, sounds sweeter and more refined on mids. Anyway, L590u is still quite expensive. At least to my standard.

http://kakaku.com/item/20483510100/

The cheapest value L-590AII found on internet is 430.000 yen (3150 pounds) althought retail reference price is 590.000 yen.

L-550AII rrp is 290.000 yen but I found it for 250.000 (1830 pounds) yen last year.

By the way, I paid about 1300 pounds on my L-505u which I consider a real bargain.

If tickets to Japan is till cheap (last time a paid 150 pounds each), take a flight and bring of one of those with you to Britain.

TRENDING THREADS