Luxman Amplifier

Akbar

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

I have just acquired a Luxman L-11 integrated amp , i believe its Class A. Questions i have are

1. The Mains power input stated on the back of the amp is 220volts AC , UK mains i believe is 230-240 volts Ac ,im told that its is now more 230 volts AC, would i be able to plug in my amp on this mains power supply or would it be recommended to get a step down transformer ??

2. with this Almplifier i was hoping to connect a beautiful pair of BBC Rogers LS3/5a speakers. ( has the original 15ohm crossss overs, Kef B110 drivers and kef T27 tweeters) Can anyone tell me if i'd be risking the speakers or the Amp ?

thanks

Akbar

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would probably look at some kind of step down transformer, most mains supply is around 235-245v IIRC.

From a quick look on the web, it looks a very well specified amp, not heard of the 'Laboratory' series, I would expect it to be more than fine with the 15ohm LS3/5A's.

Also, I am not sure its a Class-A amp.

http://www.hifiengine.com/library/luxman/l-11.shtml

Looks a lovely amp! 8)

Akbar

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks for the info. Yes I think it will be safer to get a stepdown transformer. Quite a few reviews and specs i read all mentoned the Luxman L-11 is a Class A amplifier . I have never owned a Class A amp before but i do know that they generate a lot of heat and i presume the massive heatsinks built in may be an indication that it is a Class A amp.

Has anyone experienced this amp?

http://www.classic-audio.com/luxman-l11-p-700.html

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Akbar said:
Many thanks for the info. Yes I think it will be safer to get a stepdown transformer. Quite a few reviews and specs i read all mentoned the Luxman L-11 is a Class A amplifier . I have never owned a Class A amp before but i do know that they generate a lot of heat and i presume the massive heatsinks built in may be an indication that it is a Class A amp.

Has anyone experienced this amp?

http://www.classic-audio.com/luxman-l11-p-700.html

A full Class A amp producing 100W would weigh in the region of 100 kgs, so I would expect this to be more off a "high-bias" Class A.

I agree with others - Luxman make great amps.

Akbar

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
100kg ?? this one ony weighs 19-20 kgs. My BBC Rogers LS3/5A are rated at 25Watts power handling and cost me 3 times the price of the amplifier.The Amp is rated at 100Watts continous power per channel . At the risk or sounding like a dumb A** , can anyone put it in a simple explaination if the speakers will fry or not . Does the amp chuck out 100 watts at maximum volume only? any technical info explaination would be most welcome ,

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
An example of a 100W Class A would be the AMS100 from Musical Fidelity. I have a 35W Class A amp which weighs 28kg.

You will be fine with the amp provided you are sensible with the volume knob.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil is right - your Luxman is unlikely to produce pure class A for its entire 100W rated output since that kind of amp would be much larger and heavier.

However, it does have sufficient power to drive your speakers, so there's no worries on that count.

I know this probably won't help the OP much, but I've recently exchanged emails with my former boss who is a real hi-fi nut. He said he has a Luxman amp (no idea of model) and it is powering Wilson Benesch Discovery speakers, which I think retail around 6k.

Akbar

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Good Info , thanks. I see what you guys mean about Class A amps being Heavy. just saw a class A valve amp which has 10 W output yet weighs 35 Kgs( most probably the transformers)

whether my Luxman L-11 amp is a full Class A or not is not that important to me , im sure when i power it up the sound quality will no doubt be well worth the price. I just wanted to protect my speakers as these are not easily replaced.

I just got my hands on a Luxman C-383 Pre Amp , im told it is of very high quality and has a great phono stage( with a collection of some 4000 Vinyl records , the phono stage attracted me) . As with many Luxman Vintage equipment the manuals are rare. Any info on this would be welcome. I've already checked out HIfiengine with no luck ,

summary

i now have BBC Rogers LS3/5a speakers ( 25 Watt handling) , Luxman L-11 integrated Amp ( 100 Watt continous power) i'm planning to hook it up to Luxman C383 Pre amp. Turntables x4 , Technics SL1210 MK2 , Technics sl1210MK5 , Luxman PD131 and a Thorens TD320 sadly all fitted with lower end Stanton/ ortofon cartridges . suggestions for reasonably priced cartridges welcome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts