Lucky day...

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Just had a heart stopping moment whilst fiddling with cables at the back of the rack; I managed to push an LS50 off it's stand with my back as I stood up and it landed right on its face onto a hardwood floor. It was almost like it happened in slow motion but still no chance to grab it before it hit the deck. Anyway, fearing the worst, I popped it back on the stand and immediately put some music on and it's working flawlessly. Even more suprising is there's barely a mark on it, at least not noticeable unless right up close. The glossy sides didn't touch the floor luckily, I guess because all of the weight is in the dense plastic they used for the baffle it didn't roll over.

Phew, must be my lucky day. I have even more respect for these speakers now - they feel solid and now I have confirmation they are! Is there any other speaker that could have dropped over half a metre onto a hard floor with barely a scratch let alone a dent?

THAt sounds like a lucky escape! I certainly wouldn’t want to try it with any speaker. Had it been at a slightly different angle you never know what might have happened.

I know the sinking feeling too as earlier this year I left the cd drawer on my old Krell player open - and managed somehow to bump it with my backside, derailing the mechanism. All fixed now, but jolly annoying!

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Yes I doubt many are as solid as those kefs and when you look at how everything is packed together into the case there is nt much space for stuff to move, which I geuss helped in your case. A speaker with lots of free space could allow kinetic energy to keep on moving!

im always worried about knocking my floor standing pmc speakers over when guests come around by inadvertently walking into them as one is near a doorway. I do give give warnings sometimes as I’ve done it to my old tannoys myself, and the pmcs would be more expensive to repair no doubt. I hate it when people stand really close to them as if they walk backwards forgetting they are there, they could dent the casings and knock them over. Im always very careful when hoovering not to bash the hoover head into the bottom of the cabinets denting the crisp edges of the veneers, nor place anything on top of them that could scratch.

rainsoothe

Well it's a matter of perspective, isn't it? I mean one could argue that it would've been "lucky" if it didn't fall at all, or you never hit the speaker with your back. Actually, I'd call that UNlucky :))

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
There are always nervous moments having speakers in a living room, especially when you are OCD about cosmetic condition and have young kids running around! Sure we've all known someone with kids whose tweeters have been pressed in cause they "look like a button". (Thankyou Kef for the tangerine waveguide!)

My LS50's have managed to survive through the lifetime of my youngest kid, she's 5 now and I have to say fantastic, neither of my kids has ever laid a finger on them. It's their friends I worry about when they visit, and even worse my 40 year old sister in law (who puts a cup of coffee down on top of a speaker?!)

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Well it's a matter of perspective, isn't it? I mean one could argue that it would've been "lucky" if it didn't fall at all, or you never hit the speaker with your back. Actually, I'd call that UNlucky :))

True, it was unlucky to knock it over, but given that it did so with barely a scratch it feels twice as lucky, so I think I'm in credit!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
cannibal_ox77 said:
There are always nervous moments having speakers in a living room, especially when you are OCD about cosmetic condition and have young kids running around! Sure we've all known someone with kids whose tweeters have been pressed in cause they "look like a button". (Thankyou Kef for the tangerine waveguide!)

My LS50's have managed to survive through the lifetime of my youngest kid, she's 5 now and I have to say fantastic, neither of my kids has ever laid a finger on them. It's their friends I worry about when they visit, and even worse my 40 year old sister in law (who puts a cup of coffee down on top of a speaker?!)

That's happened to me... a friend of a friend was standing near the speaker chatting away with coffee in hand and although I can't see, I heard him put the cup on the speaker, I was slightly unsure because I didn't really know the guy, but I had to quickly say please don't ever do that!. I think he thought I was being a fussy git, but I don't care.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Macspur said:
cannibal_ox77 said:

That's happened to me... a friend of a friend was standing near the speaker chatting away with coffee in hand and although I can't see, I heard him put the cup on the speaker, I was slightly unsure because I didn't really know the guy, but I had to quickly say please don't ever do that!. I think he thought I was being a fussy git, but I don't care.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

all being into our hi Fi on here, this act of placing cups of liquid or anything on hi Fi, is surely Sacreligious. I’d have mentioned something too.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Im the same. Absolutely nothing is permitted on speakers at all. Or on the amp, or CD player.

I've even gone so far as to insist nothing is placed on the TV unit either. I wouldn't want anything to detract from the look, as well as wouldn't want coffee everywhere!!!!

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

A police officer came round mine once to deal with anti social behaviour I reported and placed his cap on top of my pmcs. I moved it!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't worry we've all been there. You are right about the slow motion thing: time seems to slow down, like when you have a car accident. Brain goes into panic mode - survival instinct to help you to react to a life-threatening scenario. Glad there was no lasting damage.

Oldskool1976

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
cannibal_ox77 said:
Just had a heart stopping moment whilst fiddling with cables at the back of the rack; I managed to push an LS50 off it's stand with my back as I stood up and it landed right on its face onto a hardwood floor. It was almost like it happened in slow motion but still no chance to grab it before it hit the deck. Anyway, fearing the worst, I popped it back on the stand and immediately put some music on and it's working flawlessly. Even more suprising is there's barely a mark on it, at least not noticeable unless right up close. The glossy sides didn't touch the floor luckily, I guess because all of the weight is in the dense plastic they used for the baffle it didn't roll over.

Phew, must be my lucky day. I have even more respect for these speakers now - they feel solid and now I have confirmation they are! Is there any other speaker that could have dropped over half a metre onto a hard floor with barely a scratch let alone a dent?

The hounds knocked over one of my Zensor speaker's a few years ago, couple of chips to the side, doesn't look to clever but still plays fine.

It's one of the reasons I now own floorstanders, regarding your Ls50, I'm not sure there are many speakers that would have survived and come out relatively unscathed.

Maybe something out of carbon? Wilson Benesch?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts