luck needed on vinyl?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
But, but ... CDs are records just as much as vinyl records are, and tape... a recorded form of music.

I know what you mean, though - of course we used to call them just records. It's interesting that I've been using 'vinyl' here. I suppose it's because we're discussing the physical format as opposed to digital formats such as CD and file. Also the OP is new to the format, so s/he may not be used to 'records' = vinyl records. Interesting: I'll play 'some records', not 'some vinyl', but the format is 'vinyl', to me.

I'll try to stop that and go back in time...

Hemmm, I'm not that new to the "format", like you calling it. It is like 40 years I do spin vinyls! :) And yes, for me they are vinyls. Also back in the good, old days I used to call them like this.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Lost Angeles said:
Jim-W said:
Do we call cd's 'Polycarbonate plastics with an aluminium layer'? No, of course we don't. Records are records; they aren't vinyls. Stop it.

Cheers.

Yeah , but we only had records in those days Jim unless you had a big fancy reel to reel.

...or a cassette player.*biggrin*

I was around before cassette players.

Jim-W said:
Do we call cd's 'Polycarbonate plastics with an aluminium layer'? No, of course we don't. Records are records; they aren't vinyls. Stop it.

Cheers.
I'm with you on that, and said as much a few days ago somewhere else here on the forum.

I tend to think LP is analogous to CD as a format description, but I realise that strictly excludes 7", EPs, and 12" singles, few of which interest me. But 'vinyl' makes me cringe a bit!

nopiano said:
Jim-W said:

Cheers.
I'm with you on that, and said as much a few days ago somewhere else here on the forum.

I tend to think LP is analogous to CD as a format description, but I realise that strictly excludes 7", EPs, and 12" singles, few of which interest me. But 'vinyl' makes me cringe a bit!

I do not have a problem with vinyl.

It is our foreign cousins who cannot seem to fully grasp the Queen's english and insist on using the term vinyls (with an 's').
regular_smile.gif

There is no such word so stop using it immediately..... *diablo*

NB The plural of vinyl is still vinyl (its a bit like sheep and sheep).

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
I do not have a problem with vinyl.

It is our foreign cousins who cannot seem to fully grasp the Queen's english and insist on using the term vinyls (with an 's').

There is no such word so stop using it immediately..... *diablo*

NB The plural of vinyl is still vinyl (its a bit like sheep and sheep).

Not as I intended. You think to vinyl as "vinyl records", so the plural is marked on the "records". I do omitt records, so in my case the plural is on the vinyl becouse he (the vinyl) is seen as the "object", so yes, it have to be specified as plural!

And Diablo as nothing to do with my two mother languages, becouse that is a spanish word and I`m such a mix of italian dad and french mom :) So if you want, you should call me "diavolo" or "diable", not diablo, this word doesn`t exist both in italian and in french.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Where i'm from we didn't call a Vinyl record "vinyl", a 12" was a Lp, a 12" with two/ or three musics was a Maxi Single and a 7" was a Single.

Was just when CD came out that some people start to call a 12" Lp "vinyl records".

Nowadays there are many formats for albums, for instance, what you call a CD turned into Flac and stored in your PC/NAS, Or a mp3 full album downloaded from itunes?

please don't get me rong, but calling vinyl to a Lp or a single, imo is just to tell apart from all the other formats avaible today, a "album" nowadays can be a CD, Lp or a mp3 folder in a pen or memory cart in your mobile phone.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
boshk said:
On some records, my cart goes back and forth quite alot, as if the tracks werent centred properly, normal?.

Not normal. It is an anti-skating problem, probably, then this is the wrong thread.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I only ever buy vinyl or records (or what ever you want to call them this week) from record shops and I rarely buy from the internet. The joy of buying vinly (same goes for CDs) for me is going to record stores and looking though the selcetion they have and finding something that you were not looking for or finding an album you were looking for that costs very little money, or even talking a risk on a recored that you have no idea what style the music is simply because the album cover looked good or the band had a cool name. I guess what I am saying is that I enjoy the risk of buying vinly. It is part of the reason why I do it. I also enjoy getting my new vinyl home and cleaning it before I have that first listen.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I only ever buy vinyl or records (or what ever you want to call them this week) from record shops and I rarely buy from the internet. The joy of buying vinly (same goes for CDs) for me is going to record stores and looking though the selcetion they have and finding something that you were not looking for or finding an album you were looking for that costs very little money, or even talking a risk on a recored that you have no idea what style the music is simply because the album cover looked good or the band had a cool name. I guess what I am saying is that I enjoy the risk of buying vinly. It is part of the reason why I do it. I also enjoy getting my new vinyl home and cleaning it before I have that first listen.

I've said the same thing so many times in this forum!

Today I was in my favourit second hand vinyl records shop and brought home 9 records along. The first thing was cleaning them up, and start listening to them.

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
MaxD said:
boshk said:
On some records, my cart goes back and forth quite alot, as if the tracks werent centred properly, normal?.

Not normal. It is an anti-skating problem, probably, then this is the wrong thread.

yea, theres alot of debate too on this, to use or not to use and the limited range for the Pro-ject Debut's anti-skate settings (3 settings only)

TRENDING THREADS