LS50 Wireless II

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I have received my LS50 wireless 2 and I was not as pleasantly surprised as I hoped. I have used them only at a reasonable volume level (<35, lockdown issues...) and at that volume I am not sure that many people are able to notice a great difference with the passive version or the previous wireless I or am I maybe even less an audiophile than what I thought? I am not sure it was worth the extra bucks in my case but I am really pleased with the ease of use and overall they are great, no doubt about that.

My room is quite small and I feel the bass are lacking clarity at low volumes. I don't know if that is something that can be improved with a subwoofer or if this is completely unnecessary in a small room. (< 20m²). There is an option to tell if you speaker are close to the walls but using that removes noise but it feels like it eliminates a part of the frequencies. I don't like that but not having it feels like it give some fatigue.

I hoped I'd be able to tell the difference between lossless qobuz and spotify with those speakers but it wasn't easy (I have not tried at higher volumes though). Are there available tools to do those kind of tests? I am curious to know what sound level is used by people reviewing speakers to judge the quality. Really I would like to know at what volume the difference between spotify and lossless is supposed to be obvious. I am not even sure I could tell as on this test from 16Khz I wasn't able to tell the difference https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_frequency.php?frq=16 between full range vs filtered sample. (not sure if relevant though)

How long have you had them? Forum stories talk about a long time to loosen up, so maybe they need 50-100 hours to run in.
I know different manufacturers claim different things, but keep them playing if your neighbours don’t mind - or if you have none!

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
After listening to my previous system again (Tannoy DC6 + Marrant PM6005) I am noticing that bass were attenuated a lot and I got used to that. Listening to the LS50 feels that there is much less presence in voices but when listening to the old system it feels ridiculous to hear how much the bass are disappearing.

Using an equalizer on Roon it looks like I could enjoy more the sound by attenuating the bass but I am not sure that's a good idea.

The bass are still annoying me with the LS50, feels like it lacks clarity. Not sure if a sub would help?

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
After listening to my previous system again (Tannoy DC6 + Marrant PM6005) I am noticing that bass were attenuated a lot and I got used to that. Listening to the LS50 feels that there is much less presence in voices but when listening to the old system it feels ridiculous to hear how much the bass are disappearing.

Using an equalizer on Roon it looks like I could enjoy more the sound by attenuating the bass but I am not sure that's a good idea.

The bass are still annoying me with the LS50, feels like it lacks clarity. Not sure if a sub would help?
I can’t speak for the wireless version but adding a sub to the passive version definitely improved listening at lower levels, it seemed to fill out the whole range and not just the bottom end.

Adding the subs to the LS50’s (non Meta) was the best money I spent on my set up.

Reactions: mizzor and jjbomber

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I love the ease of use with those speakers and I don't want to go back to anything more complicated than hit the google cast or airplay button. I am hoping that I just have an equalization problem and that I can improve that. Unfortunately the KEF app is not very capable to customize this for now. I am also hoping than having a sub would let the speaker do what I think they do perfectly and let me control the bass more easily. I am not sure if I just prefer having less bass or if I need better bass. I wish I could explore that more easily.

Except for the bass they sound dynamic, opened and perfectly clear. They are certainly better than what I can appreciate. Listening back to my old configuration is starting to become frustrating after getting use to those. It starts to feel filtered and flat.

I have installed roon trial version and it's great to be able to play with DSP but I'll never get a subscription. It seems too expensive for what I want to do.

If you think I might have something with a sound I enjoy more without tweaks for less money you're probably right but there weren't many option which have those requirements: system starts when hitting cast button, airplay & googleCast compatible.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
You have two consecutive threads going on about the same subject.

As I said on the other one, if you don't like them and if they don't work in your room, change to something else. Dynaudio do active home speakers too, as do others.

DSP, whilst incredibly helpful, can only do so much and is not the answer to every problem , especially where personal preferences come in to the equation.

D

Deleted member 116933

I agree with RoA sounds like there, not for you. You can't complain about the sound then love them and want to keep them bca, Its like buy a house because you love the front door.

Though more expensive have a look at Buchart A500s, meant to be way and above the kef in every single way. With much better sound tailoring systems in place. They actually have profiles you can download and install to find the sound you like. More being added every day think they referred to them as recipes or some such.

Might be worth saving a touch longer for them

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
You can throw more money at them in form of a sub. Kef's own new one will set you back £1400 and is likely a good choice but it does put the cost up there with other stuff such as the Buchards and B&W Formation.

Perhaps try SVS's micro 3000. At £800 it's less of a dent.

insider9

This is a perfect example of how reviews can be damaging to potential buyers. Since we see them as an objective way to assess performance we get quickly confused when our experience doesn't match to the expectations.

I very much agree with sentiments above. OP, trust me you're not the only one out there who doesn't see anything amazing about LS50s. Don't waste your life energy trying to understand why or trying to save a bad situation. You don't like the sound, if that's what matters to you move on.

No amount of "what if I did this or that" will make you Iike them. No amount of wishful thinking and trying not to go back to something more complicated will make up for the sound you don't like. Whatever money you throw at this, unless you go another direction.

These things happen in life. You'll do better next time. We all do it once it a while. Sorry for being blunt but I've been there myself many times. Not necessarily with hifi and I wish I had someone spell it out to me.

Reactions: nopiano

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
This is a perfect example of how reviews can be damaging to potential buyers. Since we see them as an objective way to assess performance we get quickly confused when our experience doesn't match to the expectations.

I very much agree with sentiments above. OP, trust me you're not the only one out there who doesn't see anything amazing about LS50s. Don't waste your life energy trying to understand why or trying to save a bad situation. You don't like the sound, if that's what matters to you move on.

No amount of "what if I did this or that" will make you Iike them. No amount of wishful thinking and trying not to go back to something more complicated will make up for the sound you don't like. Whatever money you throw at this, unless you go another direction.

These things happen in life. You'll do better next time. We all do it once it a while. Sorry for being blunt but I've been there myself many times. Not necessarily with hifi and I wish I had someone spell it out to me.

:)

Whilst I agree with 'if you don't like something initially you're unlikely to enjoy it later ... ' I just wanted to ask if you owned the LS50, in any of its guises?

insider9

:)

Whilst I agree with 'if you don't like something initially you're unlikely to enjoy it later ... ' I just wanted to ask if you owned the LS50, in any of its guises?
No, I've only demoed them and compared to a speaker I've used at the time. I've listened to many different KEF speakers and even owned some. None of them were to my liking. I'm very open minded about life in general so will never stop trying but as it's stands not a fan. There are many alternatives to restrict oneself to KEF.

Reactions: RoA

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
FWIW and for the OP in particular, I find the DSP settings to make a SUBSTANTIAL difference in their different settings.

Also don't assume that their intended settings are necessarily the correct ones for you and your room.

For example, I have mine set for desk use but they stand in a medium size approx. 5x6m room.

Also remember that it is a small speaker with small cones. Although they can go very 'loud', bass, despite clever DSP and active operation, will eventually double and distort. Bass depth, fullness and level are imo very good compared to passive speakers of this size.

Re. running in, I have not noticed much change.

For more bass but in a controlled manner you will need a sub as you suggested in a post. Adjustable X-over settings will aid with this and make it easy to find the correct frequency. - That or a speaker with larger drivers/cabinet.

Having said all this, the Wireless is a somewhat lush sounding speaker with a lot of depth to the stage. This is a signature usually only found in more expensive designs imho and is a sign of careful cabinet and driver design. What it doesn't do is project forward or in your face.

As long as you are ok with that it may be worth pursuing. If not ...

I am very satisfied with mine coming from a decent but still midfi separates system.

I have ordered a set of (active) B&W speakers which are on backorder due to B&W supply issues ... Brexit, Covid, Panama canal etc etc and look forward to finding out what something twice the cost can (or can not) do but the Kef's are not going anywhere yet.

Last edited:

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Project forward or in your face . That's really the only thing that I liked better from my previous system. What is producing this feeling?

insider9

That would be me. No it's nothing to do with how they project and of anything they don't project very well. Have a listen to old Tannoys or some Urei speakers and you'll change your mind of projection. Or even Yamaha NS1000 can fill the room at low levels without being in your face.

Kefs just don't do it for me. I prefer older gear. Funny enough even old KEF don't do it for me. I know my taste very well. Music is more than sound for me. I grew up around life music played, gigged, recorded, etc. I've gone back to it a couple years ago after a long break. I'm recording and mixing nowadays. Kefs might have the technical chops and that's where my appreciation lies but not once deliver on an emotional level. They make sound not music. That's me and my experiences. I don't impose my views on others and and if they work for you that's all that matters.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Project forward or in your face . That's really the only thing that I liked better from my previous system. What is producing this feeling?

Some speakers just project a soundstage closer to the listener, others in line and behind speakers.

One is usually more exciting, the other more laid back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts