Ls50 Meta setup help request

Firefly07

Jan 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

As for the title, I am looking for suggestions for my first setup.

I have been thinking to put together a system for a while. Now Santa finally gave my a push to start it.

I got a denon avr-x2700h for Christmas and I need a pair of speakers to pair it with. I found a pretty good deal for two KEF ls50 meta, but I wanted to get some advice before ordering:

- Am I going to risk damaging the avr or the speakera at full power?

- having the option to change the avr, should I do it (not really want to, since it is a gift, but I have the option if I can find a different avr in the same shop)? I really like the 2 zone and other features of the denon though

- if the shop have them, should I consider the KEF ls50 wireless ii instead?
- is there any upgrade path for the future (like separate amp or a sub woofer)? Any suggestions?

- any other tips?

- should I consider different speakers instead? I really like the look of the KEF, so I need a compelling argument for that

Use would be 60% movies and 40% music

TThanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum.
I cannot help with most of your question, I am sure others will be along to help, but I feel the KEFs would be overkill for your setup. If you are using it mainly for movies then you need to concentrate around a decent centre speaker and two fronts to start with.
I have never had much luck trying to combine a system for home cinema + stereo and prefer to keep my setups separate

jjbomber

- Am I going to risk damaging the avr or the speakers at full power?
Probably damage your ears! Unless you live in an aircraft hanger you won't be able to listen to that at full volume.

The rest depends on your source. CD? Spoify? NAS drive? Bluetooth? The Denon is a fine piece of kit, far better than people normally get in presents. Whomever gave it to you knows their hi-fi.

Probably damage your ears! Unless you live in an aircraft hanger you won't be able to listen to that at full volume.

The rest depends on your source. CD? Spoify? NAS drive? Bluetooth? The Denon is a fine piece of kit, far better than people normally get in presents. Whomever gave it to you knows their hi-fi.
And there was me thinking it was Home Cinema kit.... :)

Well it’s a typically decent entry level Denon AV receiver, 150 watts by AV standards of 1% distortion, or 95 watts by Hifi standards.
Output suitable for KEF LS50s, but otherwise the last device I’d choose for them.

KEF for AV from the Q series, such as the Q350 is where I’d start. Then working up to this...

Last edited:

Firefly07

Jan 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi All,

thanks for the feedbacks.

So, from what I understood LS50s are an overshoot for my setup. I was initially considering DALI Spektor 1 or 2 plus a Sub, but then found a ~600£ deal (is it too good to be true?) for the LS50 and thought to get those and maybe add a Sub later down the line.

I can get the Spektor 1 for ~175£ or Spektor 2 for ~250£.

Any other speakers I should consider for a total budget of ~500£ for speakers + Sub (I was stretching my budget slightly for the LS50s)?

Any recommended Sub for similar budget?

Thanks again in advance!

D

Deleted member 116933

The Kefs are arguably nice speakers and not to be rude a little rich for you system currently UNLESSS you have a plan to upgrade over time then by all means, give them a ago.

My major problem with the small signal driver kefs is they compress a fair bit (in my experience with the originals) at louder levels, there happy placing being around 80-85db making them less than ideal for av applications, if you frequently listen at reference level (after calibration 0 on the volume dial)

Speakers id give a look if you want to listen at refer levels

SVS
ATC
Revel (might be a little up there in budget)

if you listen at more realistic levels the worlds your oyster!

Kef q350
Q acoustics
Klipsch

and so on

Second hand. Mission M74/i M73/i, you can pick them up for about 100 if not a little less also keep eye out for 700 701 703, though the 703s are very big. Though you won't need a sub and these will also handle reference levels. If your lucky you might also be able to find the dipole speakers.

If you want a subwoofer look at Bk subwoofers

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts