LPF of LFE question - Onkyo 905

Sliced Bread

Hi All,

I have been going over my setup in my Onkyo and I have set the LPF of LFE to it's default 80hz. From what I can tell the LPF of LFE will cut off or reduce the amplitude of any signal passed to the .1 channel above the stated frequency (independent of the standard crossover settings as this only applies to the LFE signal). Therefore with a set up of 80hz The sub is only receiving 80hz and below from the LFE signal, with the idea being to reduce any possibility of hum in the higher frequencies.

If this is correct (please let me know if it is not), then shouldn't this be set to it's highest setting of 120hz as standard and only reduced if there is an issue with hum, other wise the amp is clipping off half of the LFE signal unnecessarily?

Any thoughts are appreciated?

Thanks

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I've just been recently trying out my settings for subs & my amp to defaults at 80hz which i have to say i do prefer, to be honest John it's a case of trying them out for yourself & seeing which setting gives the best performance, ive tried all the various settings & i do prefer 80 as everything sounds more well balanced to me.

A

Anonymous

I played around with the settings on my Denon for ages after it had run in. I found having the LFE set to 90 produced a slightly warmer sound. Upping it to 100+ started to make the upper bass a bit muddy and slow. Just have a play around. Don't worry too much about numbers, Just go with what sounds good to you. If your amp can have different crossover settings for movies and music you may find different crossovers suit each media.

Sliced Bread

Thanks everyone, although I think that we may have crossed wires (apologies if I am wrong). The LPF of the LFE is independent of the crossover settings and performs a different function. The Crossover (as I'm sure you already know) sets the cross over point between the speakers and the subwoofer. The LPF of the LFE is something different. I have only ever seen it on Onkyo amplifiers and is designed to reduce hum in speakers by cutting out some bass frequencies to the subwoofer.

Are we all talking about the same thing? With cross over I can see that trial and error is often the best approach, however by my logic a LPF of the LFE setting should alays be as high as possible unless there is an issue with hum. Do you concur?

Thanks
emotion-1.gif

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
JohnNewman:Thanks everyone, although I think that we may have crossed wires (apologies if I am wrong). The LPF of the LFE is independent of the crossover settings and performs a different function. The Crossover (as I'm sure you already know) sets the cross over point between the speakers and the subwoofer. The LPF of the LFE is something different. I have only ever seen it on Onkyo amplifiers and is designed to reduce hum in speakers by cutting out some bass frequencies to the subwoofer.

Are we all talking about the same thing? With cross over I can see that trial and error is often the best approach, however by my logic a LPF of the LFE setting should alays be as high as possible unless there is an issue with hum. Do you concur?

Thanks
emotion-1.gif
Sorry John, clearly were not reading from the same sheet here, as for the LPF of the LFE i havnt a clue mate as never owned an Onkyo amp. I thought you just meant the crossover points.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
NSYGrinner:I played around with the settings on my Denon for ages after it had run in. I found having the LFE set to 90 produced a slightly warmer sound. Upping it to 100+ started to make the upper bass a bit muddy and slow. Just have a play around. Don't worry too much about numbers, Just go with what sounds good to you. If your amp can have different crossover settings for movies and music you may find different crossovers suit each media.Yer i have to agree with you here NSYGrinner, were do you have your crossover set?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts