Low volume listening.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO That's far too simplistic I'm afraid.

It's usually a mixture of amp, speaker design (sensitivity; ported/TL etc) and room size/acoustics.

All things being equal, in an appropriate sized room, a bigger speaker may be better (but not always).

matthewpiano

Agree with Cno. It isn't as straight forward as that.

As an example... I've owned Quad 11Ls pretty much constantly since they first came out and I've tried them with a wide range of different amplification. Generally I've felt they need the volume turning up to give their best but two amplifiers have been able to get them sounding really superb at low volume levels as well - the Pioneer A400 and my current Onkyo TX8050.

It really is a combination of lots of factors that make a system sound good at low levels and I think auditioning different combinations is the only way to really tell.

Nothing wrong with keeping things simple. Yes it is a combination of factors, but generally, floorstanders are more adept than standmounters when it comes to articulating sound at lower levels. There are a few exceptions to the theory: PMC DB1 and Dynaudio are both very good when played low.

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII's are very enjoyable to listen to at low levels, but only since I've upgraded my amp to a Harman KArdon HK990. I believe the Dynaudio's are very current hungry & the HK990 is able to deliver that current. My previous amp was a Sansui AU-X711 (80's monster) & that amp struggled with the Dyn's at low listening levels.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
They are actually the Sennheiser PC 151 Headset ... no idea as to whether they are open or other tbh. :(

Though going by what I have read of late on here I was going to go for the AKG k450's ?

I used to use Bayerdynamic DT231 'S (which I quite liked untill the headband became way too loose)

Forgot to say, I use the headset through laziness maybe ? I like gaming online with my pc. :)

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I think that sometimes I maybe sound a little 'thick' on this forum ... but having had three spinal ops and have been on heavy medication now for many years... I try to do my best like ... the pain-killers can take their toll at times mind.

I do as in DO love great sound though :)

I could probably afford around £100 for new headphones though ;) (I could maybe save a little more, I do love a lot of seventies/eighties music... anything that sounds brill over the stereo headphones tbh)

A

Anonymous

Hi, if you can afford around £100 you should consider Grado SR80i open backed headphones. I own a pair which I bought new for about £110. They are open backed which means they can be heard by others in the room but obviously at a much lower volume than you are receiving into your ears. The beauty of the open backed design though is that they allow the music to play without the distortions you could receive from (some) headphones which close the sound in.

Maybe have a look at: http://www.whathifi.com/review/grado-sr80i (you wont feel claustrophic with these!) as well as: http://www.whathifi.com/review/k450

A

Anonymous

+1 for Grado

But don't think to go in public transport with these open back :grin:

A

Anonymous

My ES30s sound "nice" at low levels, very clear, but they lack bass despite their 3 way design. I need to turn up the wick for the bass to really come in. I guess it depends on speaker design, room acoustics and other factors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts