Low profile receiver, lowering an receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was on the verge of buying the Sony STR-DA2400ES and then realised that my tv unit may not be big enough for it to fit in. I never really thought about it before that.

Looking on the Sony website the height is quoted as 157.5mm. Measuring my unit it has a 158mm space for the equipment. Now I'm pretty sure that 0.5mm is not enought clearance for a big receiver with the amount of heat it probably generates!

Replacing the tv unit is definitely not an option. So I have a few questions:
[*]I'm guessing most amps have grills on the top and bottom? (obviously most of the heat would be coming out of the top if so)
[*]Is it possible to get this receiver or one of the below and fit new feet so that the unit is a bit lower in profile?[*]Are there any receivers that are sufficiently lower profile than 158mm?

I'm looking in the kind of range of the Sony STR-DA2400ES, Sony STR-DG820, Yamaha DSP-AX763 and may stretch to the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE. I wanted a Sony to integrate with my tv a bit better really but its not essential.

A

Anonymous

The Onkyo TX-SR505, TX-SR506 and TX-SR-576 are a bit lower profile and would fit ok but none have HD audio which I'm looking for.

A

Anonymous

Same problem i only have 14cm space so having searched the internet i have only 2 solutions. 1 all in one system like pioneer LX01, i dont really want all in one system so that leaves the cambridge audio azur 540 v3 which doesnt deal with HD audio but has HDMIs so getting sony550 blue ray with analogue outs which should give me my HD audio, i hope. Dont know if that helps or not.

A

Anonymous

I was hoping the same - to not have an all in one system. Not only to get a better system but also because I already have a decent older DVD player and a Sony bluray S350. Although I only just got the S350 so I could take it back for an exchange. But I'm really hoping I dont have to do this.

A

Anonymous

Anyone else have any ideas? I really want to be up to date and get Dolby and DTS HD audio, but with only 158mm height there seems to be very few options. I'm thinking of going the STR-DA2400ES route and replacing/removing the feet somehow.

Tonestar1

Hi,

The Arcam AVR350 (145mm tall) i just bought was arcams top of the range AV amp for the past few years and won several awards. If you're not too concerned about features (new codecs, inputs) IMO this will give you a musical performance not matched by an AV amp under 2k, 2- Channel under £700 (I have tried) and will give you movie performance equal or better than anything under 1k in todays terms. It will need to be fed by analogue inputs to get the optimum output from blu-ray but is an absolute steal at £599(down from £1550) from glasgow-audio/super-fi etc. Don't want to seem as if I'm bigging up my own kit but I feel this is a bargin thats just too good to miss.

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

That sounds like a good idea but I'm still bothered about the latest codecs. My bluray player is a Sony BDP-S350 so it'll stream Dolby HD out and DTS HD, and it'll also decode Dolby HD but not DTS HD. Perhaps I should have gone with the S550... I'm not sure how much the latest codecs really add though. Can anyone comment on the differences between Dolby Digital EX and Dolby HD for example?

I'm still looking for a HD amp (Dolby and DTS) with a slimmer profile than 158mm within a budget of £700 if anyone knows of any?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts