Low disk space

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Back up everything to an external drive * (whilst you still can) then buy a larger HDD for your PC. (It's only a couple of connections and a latch.)

In the meantime (right now) press 'start' then 'control panel' then 'Performance Information and tools' ... and click on 'Open Disk Cleanup' to delete redundant files.

After that's done click 'start' then type 'defrag' (no quotes) in the search box and press enter, click 'Defragment Now' and wait while your hard drive is reorganised.

Be prepared for these operations to take a very long time if you've never done them before. (Like overnight maybe.)

If it lets you ... download Piriform's free version of CCleaner and run that through. (It'll do a job on all your gash files, cookies, temp files, history etc.)

All of the above is simply to get enough room to make an emergency system backup (or two if paranoid) then buy a new HDD.

When was the last time you cleared out redundant files and defragged?

I had to restore a Windows 7 Pro system from external drive (and bootable DVD) recently when an HDD went kaput. Piece of p### in the end. Make sure you have your Windows Vista unique serial number recorded somewhere you can read it easily if required. (I have it photographed on my iPad so I can magnify it.)

* Obviously a bigger size. (If doing a complete system backup have a fresh, writeable CD or DVD to hand as well as your external USB hard drive. You'll be prompted when required.)

Yup, went through your instructions yesterday and a lot of faffing around it said "Cannot delete items... blah blah" It wouldn't respond to defrag or any other command. In the end had to phone my local shop up for him to sort on built-in "Team Viewer".

Weird watching the cursor being whizzed around without me touching it.

All sorted. It took ages, and the shop has advised I buy a new PC at some point. For the timebeing there's enough disk space now to last another year or so.

Cheers Chebby.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Thanks.

This shop has offered me a brand new Dell desk top for £400, and he'll transfer my existing data over to the new machine (incl of the above price)

I'd do it whilst the offer is fresh.

(And remember to back up all your stuff beforehand and regularly afterwards.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts