Loudspeakers comparison

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Going on Tannoylites suggestions, if you haggle, up your budget a little and find a particularly nice shopkeeper you could get the Sonus Faber Concertino Domus without their dedicated stands (which of course would need to be added later, if for no other reason than aesthetics). I think you'd like them. Saying that I still think you should think twice about the 704's at that price.

A

Anonymous

Well yeah, they would both fit your needs would be a nice comparison to the smoother Sonus Faber if you can get chance to test them.

A

Anonymous

You are getting such a good deal on the 704 that I really think you should go for them.

As for the Tannoy DC4T, I haven't listened to it yet, but I think a 4" DC is too small. Also, I think older lines of Tannoy are better. Saturn and Definition series was better than Sensys DC and Eyris DC; and (talking about studio lines) the System series was better than the Precision series.

BTW, Tannoy studio monitors offer better value than residential models. I've owned sevelar models from their studio lines, and they always sound better than similarly priced models from the residential range.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
i agree with d_a_n1979 that be 600 and 800 series are better than 700 series...704 not bad for jazz but i found them lacking in other area's. i did a direct comparison between bw683 vs 704 with cambridge 600 series amp/cd and the 683 were better.The 800 series ,804s are better again but the price is way to high for what you get. With 800 serie you really do need to spend alot on amp/cd...I found bw683 and nad355bee amp worked well together.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Reading thru this topic again i still think you'd be silly to not have a demo of the M/A RS6 speakers.

You'd be amazed at how well these speakers can play all different generes of music!

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Wow. One says ma rs6 is good for classical, others says it sucks. I can see it's much a personal taste.

So, having the b&w 704 and MA RS6, wich amps do you recommend for each?

Again, within a 400-500 pound budget.

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
If you can sretch your amp budget then go for an Arcam FMJ A32

If not then take a look at the NAD C355BEE integrated amp or aim for a 2nd hand Roksan Kandy LIII or Cyrus 8vS integrated amp :)

And still IMO; the B&W 704's can be bettered by the M/A RS6's

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
OK. I;m sorry for all these questions, but we all want the best possible we can.

What about the winning bw 685 (that also won in the speaker system award) and the epos m12i?

which is better for classical and jazz?

tx

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I love the 685s but i feel that the Epos would be better suited as to get the best out of the B&W 685's; they need to be driven and hard!

A

Anonymous

biggus_1961:i i did a direct comparison between bw683 vs 704 with cambridge 600 series amp/cd and the 683 were better..

That explains why you found the 683 better. The 704 are most transparent than the 683, and only show the shortcomings of the CA 640 amp and cd.

Make the same test with Meridian, and you'll see what happens.
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts