Loud music sounds soft,not LOUD

gasolin

Have a marantz PM8005 and Mission LX-2 as you can se in my signature

It sounds good, not to bright as dali speakers often do and with a good bass (as much as the recordings allow it to be)

One thing i noticed is, when i play loud there isn't much agression in the sound and therefor it might not sound as loud as a pair of speaker that tend to change sound charateristic when playing loud, often to a agressive sound

I use -10 db attenuators and even when i don't use them i feel i can't play really loud, it does sound less agressive than all the other speaker i have had the last 10 years, it's clean and loud but just a little bit less than party level

Is the sensitivity just a bit lower from the mission's than most speakers or is it just because the sound is less agressive when i play loud, that i feel loud is not really loud or close to party level

gasolin

I don't have the money for that

I can't get a speaker with that good a top (not bright) and nice bass as the missions LX-2's for the money i could spent

Just less than 14 day to my favorite artist releases new music and in the last days they have released a few videos and it doesn't sound LOUD when i crank the volume to above loud (12'0 clock)

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
I sense another speaker upgrade approaching ;)

are being exposed or the combo of amp and speakers. Tend to agree with Muljao though, despite the denial. It's been a few weeks after all, upgrade fever must be biting hard. ;-)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
It could be the cabinet joining in, the port farting or the drivers distorting/breaking up, perhaps a combination of all.

There are things you can do. I told you I modified a pair of M71i's.

If you are confident with a solder iron, you can re-wire the speaker internally with larger gauge wiring. Whilst you have the drivers out you can add bracing by inserting a cross brace. Glue it in place. When refitting the drivers make sure the screws are tight, they may well be slightly loose from factory. Far more prestigious brands have been guilty of this.

Experiment with port bungs. A hollow one could well be the ideal compromise between bass and port farting (with the resulting timing issues). The old straws in the port tube are also worth investigating.

Finally, buy a couple of heavy duty door stops, the cylindrical ones made of stainless steel with rubber inserts. Place one each on top of the speakers.

This way you give those budgets speakers the best chance to shine without spending much money.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
luckylion, ignore the actual position of the volume knob and go higher. Maybe there isn't enough midrange 'bite' so have a twiddle with the mid control see if that helps.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
In the specs 86.5dB sensitivity (1w @ 1m), 6 Ohms nominal. That would be something like 85db at 8 ohms 1w@1m. They are inefficient and smooth (no audible breakup and resonances).

gasolin

Vladimir said:
In the specs 86.5dB sensitivity (1w @ 1m), 6 Ohms nominal. That would be something like 85db at 8 ohms 1w@1m. They are inefficient and smooth (no audible breakup and resonances).

Have seen the emit 20 rated at 86 db only having according to a german magazine 83.3 db and a pair of Klipsch RB-15 only having a sensitivity of 90 db although rated at 93 db (stereophile)

They are rated between 6 and down to 4.4 ohm as the lowest

Never hear distortion unless it's some cray bad a.. recording on youtube or metallica,bruno mars... so i don't playing to loud (no amp distortion)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:

Have seen the emit 20 rated at 86 db only having according to a german magazine 83.3 db and a pair of Klipsch RB-15 only having a sensitivity of 90 db although rated at 93 db (stereophile)

Never hear distortion unless it's some cray bad a.. recording on youtube or metallica,bruno mars... so i don't playing to loud (no amp distortion)

It's all good. They are just low efficiency like most small speakers.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
muljao said:
paulkebab said:
luckylion, ignore the actual position of the volume knob and go higher. Maybe there isn't enough midrange 'bite' so have a twiddle with the mid control see if that helps.
I take it you've never heard of Spinal Tap

I don't know anyone who's not heard of them

gasolin

sometimes using the -10 db attenuator i go to 12'o clock and it' not always loud (se video)

Using my cdplayer i now play with full gain and volume is much louder, of course, do to the high gain i hear a bit distrotion in the highs playing loud music, i relate it to the input on my amp being overloaded with a 2 volt signal (cd player) that is higher the it's rated at, i can get pretty close to 12'o clock with no amp noticeable distortion (overload of the amp)

input sensitivity on my amp is 200 mV / 20 kΩ/kohms

cdplayer Analog Audio Output Level 2.25V rms, Stereo

Further information why i use attenuators https://youtu.be/JhuWuTDZiuI?t=20m45s

Mabye i just have to use it to 3 'o clock to have max power when i use the -10 db attenuators, that combined with lower sensitivity than my last speakers Q Acoustics 3020, just needs higher volume to sound loud?

gasolin

Vladimir said:
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:

It's all good. They are just low efficiency like most small speakers.

My Q acoustics 3020 sounded louder

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Could it be down to the amp at 70w? When i compared my amp to the abrahamsen v2 one of the positives of my amp i found was the larger power supply making music sound more punchy. The Abe may have sounded better overall apart from that. If they made a 100w amp i think it would sound incredible.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking. Are you saying that it's just simply not going loud enough, or are you saying that when it's turned up loud it's still lacking punch and doesn't "feel" loud and energetic? At 70W RMS, the Marantz should easily go loud enough to leave your ears ringing unless you live in an aircraft hangar, even through insensitive speakers (though a more powerful amplifier would potentially sound more meaty at the same volume). But it won't do that with -10dB attenuators between the cd player and its line inputs.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Plus the fact that your never going to get small stand mounted speakers to sound like big floor standing speakers and I understand that you have not got the room for floor standing speakers but

as your marantz is a good amp and I believe your not really seen yet what the marantz is capable off yet with speakers that could show you what the marantz can do .

if you got the largest stand mounted speakers you could afford something with a bit more a bigger cabinet space so your moving a bit more air I bet you would hear a bit more meat what your after .

i never put my volume past 11 o'clock I normally listen to my music around the 9-10 o'clock range or lower as I seem to get a good sound at a lower volume

gasolin

MajorFubar said:
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking. Are you saying that it's just simply not going loud enough, or are you saying that when it's turned up loud it's still lacking punch and doesn't "feel" loud and energetic? At 70W RMS, the Marantz should easily go loud enough to leave your ears ringing unless you live in an aircraft hangar, even through insensitive speakers (though a more powerful amplifier would potentially sound more meaty at the same volume). But it won't do that with -10dB attenuators between the cd player and its line inputs.

A bit of both

Sometimes it just doesn't feel really loud (the sensitivity of the missions might be a bit lower than avarage) the other speakers i have used sounded louder, they also changed more to an agressive character when i played loud,my mission's don't change when i play loud, if how ever they do it's very subtle

I don't think i need more power

I think *crazy* i mabye would like to know why i sometimes feel it's not really loud.

If it's my speakers that just sound very soft and comfortable at high levels (almost as dark sounding as wharfedale diamond 220) sounds like a very good high end system that have alot of dynamic headroom and therefor only feels loud when it starts to sound agressive, there is this thing where distortion agressive sound speaker at high levels can sound louder only because the distortion,agressivness than a system with much more power,less agressive sound,distortion (with some songs the volume might be around 1 'o clock without sound agressive using the attenuators)

Or if i just need to find the limited of my amp when i play loud with the song that doesn't sound loud and hear if it's loud enough with the mission's

I only use the attenuators for my pc i don't have atm any for my cdplayer

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
Plus the fact that your never going to get small stand mounted speakers to sound like big floor standing speakers and I understand that you have not got the room for floor standing speakers but

as your marantz is a good amp and I believe your not really seen yet what the marantz is capable off yet with speakers that could show you what the marantz can do .

if you got the largest stand mounted speakers you could afford something with a bit more a bigger cabinet space so your moving a bit more air I bet you would hear a bit more meat what your after .

i never put my volume past 11 o'clock I normally listen to my music around the 9-10 o'clock range or lower as I seem to get a good sound at a lower volume

Depends on the difference of the speakers sensitivity

I don't play as loud as i can all the time

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts