Question Loud buzz from one speaker

Bdelab

Jul 21, 2022
Visit site
I have just got my first vinyl set up and there is a loud buzz coming from one speaker. As far as I can tell I have done nothing different with the wiring on this speaker and if anything the wiring is actually a little better

I have just got my first vinyl set up and there is a loud buzz coming from one speaker. As far as I can tell I have done nothing different with the wiring on this speaker and if anything the wiring is actually a little better
Welcome!

Please detail the kit you are connecting. If you’re not in the UK then wiring may differ to what many of us use.

Usually, with a turntable, there is an ‘earth’ or ground lead that needs attaching, though not with Rega.

Reactions: ultraminiature

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Hello,
I would disconnect the turntable to see if it is source or amplifier generated.
I am guessing that this buzzing is coming from from the turntable.

I have a very slight hum coming from my Systemdek.

Reactions: Al ears

Bdelab

Jul 21, 2022
Visit site
Welcome!

Please detail the kit you are connecting. If you’re not in the UK then wiring may differ to what many of us use.

Usually, with a turntable, there is an ‘earth’ or ground lead that needs attaching, though not with Rega.
Hi,
I have an atlp120x, Dali Spektor 2, manufacturer refurbished Cambridge topaz am10 and qed Xt25 wires. I already have the ground lead attached. I don't think the issue is the turntable as it is only coming out of one speaker

Hi,
I have an atlp120x, Dali Spektor 2, manufacturer refurbished Cambridge topaz am10 and qed Xt25 wires. I already have the ground lead attached. I don't think the issue is the turntable as it is only coming out of one speaker
Have you just bought it all? Speakers like yours don’t buzz or hum without the signal coming to them being corrupted in some way. (You can easily check by swapping them)

Does a record actually play through both channels, despite the hum? How loud is the hum relative to the music - in the background or much louder?

If your turntable has the in built phono amplifier, make sure it’s connected to Aux, not MM on the amplifier. Or switch off the phono amp and connect to the MM input. But not BOTH!

One channel buzz points to a bad connection to the amp, the cartridge wires not right, or a faulty amp - as long as both channels are playing music.

Reactions: Al ears

Bdelab

Jul 21, 2022
Visit site
Have you just bought it all? Speakers like yours don’t buzz or hum without the signal coming to them being corrupted in some way. (You can easily check by swapping them)

Does a record actually play through both channels, despite the hum? How loud is the hum relative to the music - in the background or much louder?

If your turntable has the in built phono amplifier, make sure it’s connected to Aux, not MM on the amplifier. Or switch off the phono amp and connect to the MM input. But not BOTH!

One channel buzz points to a bad connection to the amp, the cartridge wires not right, or a faulty amp - as long as both channels are playing music.
It's all brand new apart from the amp which is a manufacturer refurb. It does still play music but the buzz is really loud (louder than the music). I think it could be an issue with the speaker wires but I can't figure out what. The wires do seem a little thick, idk if that could be causing it

Bdelab

Jul 21, 2022
Visit site
It's all brand new apart from the amp which is a manufacturer refurb. It does still play music but the buzz is really loud (louder than the music). I think it could be an issue with the speaker wires but I can't figure out what. The wires do seem a little thick, idk if that could be causing it
Also I was listening through headphones yesterday as the speakers hadn't arrived and it was great

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Unfortunately, you need to troubleshoot

Take everything off/disconnect everything and put things back in one at a time also, try the speakers in the opposite sides and see if it still happens. Clean everything as you go and check for broken leads and generally inspect stuff.

It could be anything, a tiny part of the speaker cable (frayed cable) touching the chassis of the amp anything.

It's a ⚽ ach but it's the only way, people can guess all day as to what it is

Reactions: nopiano

Gray

I think it could be an issue with the speaker wires but I can't figure out what. The wires do seem a little thick, idk if that could be causing it
The speaker wires cannot be causing the buzz.

With the turntable completely disconnected from the amp, go back to checking on headphones first.

I fear a problem with the 'refurbished' amp - Is it possible for you (or someone else) to put a meter on the speaker outputs - before subjecting your speaker(s) to any further high level buzzing?

Nope, definitely not them. Try reversing the speaker connections on the amp, by which I mean swap left and right.

Strummer

Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
Well I’m no expert at all but i tried to wire up old 70s Sony amp and speakers with technics turntable and had similar problems . Started loud buzz and swapped speakers over etc and played with earth connection and speakers with varying degrees of buzzing . Whole thing so sensitive. Then nothing from one channel and I assumed a capacitor may have gone after some advice from the forum . I took the amp in and they said they cleaned all the internal connections and it worked so could be something that simple. Cost me £60 though as I didn’t have a clue !

Gray

Well I’m no expert at all but i tried to wire up old 70s Sony amp and speakers with technics turntable and had similar problems . Started loud buzz and swapped speakers over etc and played with earth connection and speakers with varying degrees of buzzing . Whole thing so sensitive. Then nothing from one channel and I assumed a capacitor may have gone after some advice from the forum . I took the amp in and they said they cleaned all the internal connections and it worked so could be something that simple. Cost me £60 though as I didn’t have a clue !
The clue to me was when you said 'old 70s amp'.
Over time, switches and contacts become contaminated with dust and dirt.
This is the most common cause of audible problems, including the symptoms you described.
If your symptoms ever return, invest in a can of contact cleaning spray - you can pretty much bet your life a few blasts of that is what cost you £60.

Gray

What frayed wire was it, and what was it touching?
Good questions, that seem destined to remain unanswered.
The 'freyed wire' discovery was in response to a suggestion in post #8.

We're left to conclude that:
1) There was a 'freyed' speaker(?) cable.
2) The buzz has ceased.

I dare say that your thoughts are the same as mine;
Any link between 1 and 2 can be by coincidence only.

Good questions, that seem destined to remain unanswered.
The 'freyed wire' discovery was in response to a suggestion in post #8.

We're left to conclude that:
1) There was a 'freyed' speaker(?) cable.
2) The buzz has ceased.

I dare say that your thoughts are the same as mine;
Any link between 1 and 2 can be by coincidence only.
Exactly! The only wire that can fray is unterminated speaker cable. But seeing how some systems used to be connected, I guess anything’s possible!

Reactions: Gray

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Happens all the time with sprung loaded clip type speaker posts. Very easy to get a stray strand touching the chassis, just enough to cause buzz especially is the amp is the same shelf/platform of the speakers.

ive also seen amps get red hot and blow because of it.

could also be the cable had oxidised a little and little wiggle cleaned it off

It’s why I use banana plugs

Gray

It’s why I use banana plugs
All sensible people do 👍
Because we are aware of the disadvantages of bare wire.
(For my sins I'm a qualified electronics service engineer)
Crackles, intermittency, short circuits yes.
But I stick by my belief that any thing that could be described as buzzing was not being caused by speaker wires.
Maybe he misdescribed his symptom - he wouldn't be the first .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts