Loud amp-use muting function ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just bought a vintage Teac amp,rated at 75 watts.However for use in my office it is very loud and my speakers seem very efficient.On 2/10 on volume knob it is already fairly loud.
The volume gradations are too large,so I was thinking of using the muting button (-20 db.) which gives me more volume control.
Is this a good idea,will it compromise the amp function over the long (consider the amp is 20 years old) term or decrease my audio/listening quality?
Thanks for the input, Jeff :roll:

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Using the muting function for long periods will not harm the amplifier at all. They are usually just a simple potential divider network in the preamplifier section of the amplifier which is made up of resistors. With regards to effecting your listening pleasure you tell us, can you hear any sound degradation when using it ?

A

Anonymous

Try some rothwell attenuators to reduce gain from the source

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I'm confused here.

I know what a "mute" button is (it turns the volume off), but what is a "muting" button? An inbuilt attenuator? Never come across that before.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sizzers said:
I'm confused here. I know what a "mute" button is (it turns the volume off), but what is a "muting" button? An inbuilt attenuator? Never come across that before.

You don't see it much on modern amplifiers but back in the 70's and 80's amplifiers would have them quite often. In answer to your question yes it is a built in -20dB attenuator. They are particularly good for low level listening as pots don't track to well at there extremes, like the op says it gives you a better volume control at those lower levels.

A

Anonymous

Yes, my old Yamaha also has a built in muting button, but I find it tends to degrade the sound quality (even if you then hike up the volume). I think the rothwell attenuators do a much better job and if anything improve the sound as you are listening at 9-10 o'clock from a digital source which seems to be a nice slot for most amps.

A

Anonymous

Yes, my old Yamaha also has a built in muting button, but I find it tends to degrade the sound quality (even if you then hike up the volume). I think the rothwell attenuators do a much better job and if anything improve the sound as you are listening at 9-10 o'clock from a digital source which seems to be a nice slot for most amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts