LOTS OF GEAR - NO IDEA... HOW TO UPGRADE BUT ON A TIGHT BUDGET?

ayds

Aug 31, 2007
Visit site
COMPONENTS:NAD 370 AMP, ONKYO TX-NR609 AV RECEIVER, ARCAM CD72 CD PLAYER, PRO-JECT DEBUT PHONO TK38 RECORD PLAYER, APPLE TV3 1080P, iPhone 5, iMac, SAMSUNG 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER, SAMSUNG LED TV, TANNOY R3 FLOORSTANDING FRONT SPEAKERS, MISSION M70AS SUBWOOFER, MISSION M7C1 CENTRE SPEAKER, MISSION M7DS BACK SPEAKERS.Hi there I was wondering if anyone could help me. I haven't really indulged in hifi for a while but now that the kids are old enough to not pull off stereo knobs and hide them I thought I might try to upgrade my system. Last year my wife bought me the ONKYO TX NR609 which I think is great however now I think I need new speakers. Still love the tannoy r3's but the missions just don't seem to cut it for clarity and detail sound a bit like an old wireless... being a bit harsh. I haven't used the NAD amp in a while but I believe that the NAD still sounds better than the ONKYO when it comes to music directly, infact I find music from iTunes or a cd sounding quite muffled and I'm not sure why as I've run audyssey twice now. The ONKYO 600 series doesn't come with preouts so I don't think I can use the NAD anymore. I don't have a huge amount of money so I was thinking I could sell some of my equipment and get something that will pack more of a punch with depth clarity and detail both for 5.1/7.1 and 2 channel music. I have about $1500 AUS I can spend and trade whatever hifi anyone recommends? It's been about 11 years since I bought my tannoys so you can imagine there is so much to choose from and I have no idea so hopefully someone can give me some guidance for my price so in a nutshell:Does anyone know how I can hook up the NAD amp to the front speakers without being a pain or should I flick it? Does anyone agree that the NAD sounds better than the ONKYO when to comes to 2 channel music and is this normal or am I doing something wrong in my setup or does anyone know what I need to do to manually adjust my ONKYO?What speakers should I sell? All of them or just the missions?What speakers do I replace them with for my budget? Quite happy purchasing 2nd hand hifi - just want real definition depth and clarity for both 5.1/7.1 and 2 channel?Hope you can helpThanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
COMPONENTS:NAD 370 AMP, ONKYO TX-NR609 AV RECEIVER, ARCAM CD72 CD PLAYER, PRO-JECT DEBUT PHONO TK38 RECORD PLAYER, APPLE TV3 1080P, iPhone 5, iMac, SAMSUNG 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER, SAMSUNG LED TV, TANNOY R3 FLOORSTANDING FRONT SPEAKERS, MISSION M70AS SUBWOOFER, MISSION M7C1 CENTRE SPEAKER, MISSION M7DS BACK SPEAKERS.

Hi there I was wondering if anyone could help me. I haven't really indulged in hifi for a while but now that the kids are old enough to not pull off stereo knobs and hide them I thought I might try to upgrade my system. Last year my wife bought me the ONKYO TX NR609 which I think is great however now I think I need new speakers. Still love the tannoy r3's but the missions just don't seem to cut it for clarity and detail sound a bit like an old wireless... being a bit harsh.

I haven't used the NAD amp in a while but I believe that the NAD still sounds better than the ONKYO when it comes to music directly, infact I find music from iTunes or a cd sounding quite muffled and I'm not sure why as I've run audyssey twice now. The ONKYO 600 series doesn't come with preouts so I don't think I can use the NAD anymore. I don't have a huge amount of money so I was thinking I could sell some of my equipment and get something that will pack more of a punch with depth clarity and detail both for 5.1/7.1 and 2 channel music.

I have about $1500 AUS I can spend and trade whatever hifi anyone recommends? It's been about 11 years since I bought my tannoys so you can imagine there is so much to choose from and I have no idea so hopefully someone can give me some guidance for my price so in a nutshell:Does anyone know how I can hook up the NAD amp to the front speakers without being a pain or should I flick it?

Does anyone agree that the NAD sounds better than the ONKYO when to comes to 2 channel music and is this normal or am I doing something wrong in my setup or does anyone know what I need to do to manually adjust my ONKYO? What speakers should I sell? All of them or just the missions?What speakers do I replace them with for my budget?

Quite happy purchasing 2nd hand hifi - just want real definition depth and clarity for both 5.1/7.1 and 2 channel?Hope you can help

Thanks

There you go ;)

regards

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Maybe you could do some rationalising of your equipment. An all in one Blu-Ray/Universal player such as the OPPO 103/5 or CA 751/1BD might be a good place to start for disc players.

After that, maybe focus on the speakers?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Probably the first thing to do is have a look at the line outs you have on the Onkyo, described as Zone 2 line outs. You can connect your NAD to them, and, unless I've misread the manual, you'll be sweet.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
not really what ya asked for but heres my two pence worth, put the nad amp, cd player, record player and tannoys in another room to enjoy your music in.

then you only need a pair of floorstanding missions to replace the fronts on the av system, good luck running this by the missus.

ayds

Aug 31, 2007
Visit site
Yep having the tannoys record player NAD AMP and CD player to their own room would be living the dream and I'm pretty sure wifey would say yes but her separate room is the garden shed!

Cheers anyway

ayds

Aug 31, 2007
Visit site
Tks I thought zone 2 worked slighty different so I'd have to pull out the plugs and put them back into the ONKYO every time I wanted to watch movies but ill check it out again tks for the info!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts