Lossless/Lossy/Uncompressed?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Is there a diference between lossless and uncompressed? Reason i ask is, from the tone of various converstaion ive read, id say it sounds like lossless means that all the data is kept, but it may have been shrunk/compressed, whereas uncompressed means not only that, but also that the resultant file will be the same size as the one on the CD (or whatever) it was taken from?

A

Anonymous

Yes you're right. "Lossless" is short for "lossless compression" i.e. compressed data without using some algorithm that approximates the original. Apple Lossless and zip files are well known examples. "Lossy compression" chucks away some information as it compresses e.g. normal jpegs, mp3, aac etc. Uncompressed is like .wav or .bmp, there is no attempt to reduce the filesize.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]WMP 11 encodes WAV files in 1411.2 kbps. So it would make things bigger?[/quote]

No. There is no difference between 1411200bit/s and 1378.125Kbit/s due to the fact that the 'K' stands for '1024' not '1000'. 1411200/1024=1378.125.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I've always been a little cynical about changing my ripper (mostly due to laziness really). Would i actually notice a diference? Theres never been any obvious (to me) problems with WMP's ripping. By the by, i still cant find a way to see the size of a CD track in WMP11. Its not important, but if anyone sees this and knows if theres a way, id love to hear it.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
at the moment everything is in mp3 320kbps. but i want to upgrade it all to WAV as i feel i can tell the diference, and luckily my hard drive has plenty of space left. Thanks for the tip - is EAC easy to use...? And would the files still work in media player? No lazy replies please lol!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Any well known REM would be good? If you dont have any, throw some suggetsions at me and if i know em...! No need to apologise by the way, i was just "'avin a laff". I must admit my tests have not been "proper", and i have always been sitting very near to one speaker at the time rather than in my usual listening position. By teh by, just tried that link but it just takes me to the site and not the actual test discussion (if thats what it is?). If you could tell me ehre to find it on there it'd make an interesting read?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Bitterswet Me, Departure, Wake-Up Bomb, Leaving New York, Wanderlust? Sorry, when talking about music i like i can go a bit OTT sometimes! By teh by, just tried that link but it just takes me to the site and not the actual test discussion (if thats what it is?). If you could tell me ehre to find it on there it'd make an interesting read?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I'm not sure what your hinting at with the duplicate winamp comment? You could put it on yousendit and post a hyperlink here if you know how (i must admit i dont). While im at it, ive just noticed that when i go to rip in WAV in WMP it calls it lossless. i dont mean to split hairs, but they should be calling it uncompressed shouldnt they? I must turn in now im afraid, but ill certainly check back tommorrow.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
OK, lets call it a day, ill do some comparisons myself. Why would i use FLAC if i prefer WAV over mp3? Wouldnt i just use WAV? I'll mull it over and investigate these apps you reccommend. Many thanks for the enjoyable conversation, and the effort.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
P.S. could you explain to me how to get to that blind test info you posted the link to, as the link isnt working for me, and i dont know how to make hyperlinks here...? I know the site, itd be good to know where to look tho, it seems itd be an interesting read.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Phew. Well you have a much bigger collection than me it seems, but i have a few duplicates. ive got roughly 1ooo mp3s, including duplicates, and ive nowhere near used up mu 160G hard drive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts