loss of signal

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
Good morning im hoping to find an answer to an age long problem my cinema setup has had for a few years now.

I'd like to quote my original post from back in 2011

"The past two saturdays i decided to watch pirates of the carribean 1&2 ( sat probably third) but i have an issue that at 1 hour 50mins approx my amp or at least i think its the amp(pioneer lx53) seems to lose all signals and takes me about 5mins to get it back again, anyone experience this, by the way im using the optoma hd20 projector and pioneer lx54 blueray, i dont seem to get the problem if i watch from my skyhd box or when playing the ps3 for that length of time.

Would be grateful if anyone else has the problem and knows a fix"

Well since then, the amp and blueray player has changed so has the projector and also my tv but still the problem persist, the only thing i can think of is the cabling as i cant remember if thats the same or not, but i do have 2 hdmi cables running to the projector so i can watch football but have music on instead, but it maybe also cos i have tested the 2 cables too.....i just cant remember. I just wanna put the issue back out to the forum user and see if peeps have any ideas, 7 year problem really needs sorting

the onlly way ive managed to watch a film over 2hours without a problem, is if i have everything on 2/3hours before

would be very grateful for some help

rgds jon

abacus

If it’s just happening with the projector, are your HDMI leads up to scratch? (How long are they and what is their rating) some items give out a stronger HDMI signal than others, and if the projector is operating at its limit (Due to the HDMI cable) this could be the problem. (If so change the cable or get a booster)

My guess is that it is a cable problem, but you need to test each link individually and make a note of it, otherwise you are working in the dark, and will get absolutely nowhere.

Bill

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
i have 2 hdmi cables in use, both around 7-8metres long, one is clearaudio copperline and the other is chord active cable not sure on model though, so both cables are good quality, obviously dont wanna fork out for another cable that length unless it fixes the problem, i have been looking at audioquest pearl or forest but gonna cost me £130+

Last night i watched thor ragnarok via the chord cable and the problem happened, so tonight i plan another movie via the other cable and will post results

thanks for your help, but more views from others are very welcome

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
is (off the top of my head) borderline limit for signal loss, have you considered a cable with built-in booster? Theres also HDMI over ethernet which is another possibility. The common denominator seems to be that cable length you have. I'm really amazed you've put up with it for so long!

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
to be honest ive probably been lucky with the length of movie i watch as it only happens around an hour and 45mins, so if its down to signal loss do you think adding

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/cyp-re-pi-hdmi-power-inserter

this may be the answer? im open to all suggestions,

abacus

Could you temporary try a shorter cable, (Even if you have move some equipment or it trails across the floor) to see if this solves the problem, as this will determine if it is a cable or projector problem, also check to make sure the projector is well ventilated as overheating of the electronics could cause the same problem.

If a shorter cable is not an option, then pick up an 18Gbs (4K) cable from Amazon or other shop (Should not cost more than £25 or so and can be returned if it doesn’t solve the problem) to see if this solves the problem. (Providing a cable meets the HDMI specification for the length of it, it will be fine as it’s a digital signal)

Bill

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
ok thanks, shorter cable is a little difficult as projector is on the ceiling and everything is all wired through loft space and behind plasterboard in te walls, so ive gone with the other option and just ordered a cable on amazon which is up to the spec you say......should be here tuesday so i will try it out and post the results

rgds jon

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
sorry, only just seen this repost but I couldn't last 7 mins nevermind the length of time you have.

after reading your posts, I have to agree with others on here that the cable must be the issue, as you have said it's the only thing you haven't changed, I personally use this cable (link below) between my bluray player and my projector and have never had any problems with signal loss even when watching films over two hours in length (like the new Blade Runner which is over 2 and half hours)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet-HIGH-SPEED-Ethernet-Channel-Genuine-White/dp/B002EA4276/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1520239514&sr=8-5&keywords=neet%2Bhdmi%2Bcable&refinements=p_89%3ANeet%2BCables&th=1

Please don't worry about some of the comments regarding problems with borderline cable length etc, a quick search on google shows the (suggested) maximum length of a single hdmi cable to be 50 feet, well beyond what most people need so no requirement for cable extenders, power inserters, boosters etc.

*music2*

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
to the length of a cable, it's just they start acting up - usually - at around 20 feet. That was before the latest cables but I tend to still apply the fairly fast and loose rule. Also what might work on one installation won't necessarily work on another regardless of length.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Could it be the PJ itself rather than the cable?

Running the PJ for a long(er) time might be causing it to heat up too much and the 5 minutes off time might be just enough to let it cool down again.

Just a thought....

abacus

jon c said:
well just watched fast and furious 8 with new cable fitted and complete fail, so now it looks like i gotta live with it.

thanks all for help

Looks like it is a hardware fault then, with the link failing when it gets hot, it’s a long shot, but try using the other HDMI input on the projector (Most have 2 inputs) to see if the problem is the same.

Bill

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
hey benedict

did the same on previous projector.

3rd amp, 2nd projector and 2nd blueray and still got the issue over 7year period, ive learned to live with it a little, i just bought it back to the forums again

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried dusting the PJ and / or checking any cooling air passageways?

I would have thought a cable would either work continuously and properly or never work at all. Cables generally don't get hot enough to cop out after any period of time.

Why don't you take the PJ down, couple it up to a short HDMI and just point it at a wall and see what happens? You can give it a dust while you're at it...

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
yeh i may do some more testing over time, but im probably gonna treat myself to a new projector this year and probably sky q, if the problem still arise after that i really will be testing till fixed.

i did wonder, the amps i have use all have multiple hdmi outs and i have always left that setting to output to all sockets, wonder if i turn that off and only output to pj....something to try i suppose.

anyway thanks all for trying to help.....if anyone thinks of any thing else i will keep looking back on forum;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts