Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Blu-ray boxset now available for pre-order

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Good spot... some are suggesting this year.. be nice to have them before christmas.. be expensive year end with star wars coming as well... i wonder will they do something with the Fellowship video transfer which a lot of people complained about.. and if the films will be split over two discs or kept on one?

Clare Newsome:

Despite not even knowing which year it'll be released in (this or next), Amazon.com is taking pre-orders for the LOTR Extended Edition Blu-ray boxset - direct link here.

No such page on Amazon.co.uk just yet...

manicm

Thanks Clare, there's now an unexplained surge in group therapy sessions.
emotion-4.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I was looking for this last week. I noticed the original blu rays were having an average of 1 stars out of 5 purely because its a money spinner

They should have released the extended editions from the off

masonica

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'll be very curious to see if they do a re-master for this set. The theatrical ones were truly horrendous in being passed for hi-def. Especially when you can see it done properly for Aliens. No excuse for how bad those transfers were.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
masonica:I'll be very curious to see if they do a re-master for this set. The theatrical ones were truly horrendous in being passed for hi-def. Especially when you can see it done properly for Aliens. No excuse for how bad those transfers were.

Can you explain that please? Ive never actually seen them myself

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, much like some of the reactions to the original Gladiator transfer, there is some exaggeration going on. Have seen the Fellowship of the Ring and there are some scenes which aren't anywhere near perfect, but they are still an improvement over the DVD version. To say they couldn't be improved would be as much of an exaggeration as saying they were "truly horrendous". More accurately, some scenes are average and there are indications that DNR has been used (which for some reason tends to cause more international outcry than anything Gaddafi could have done). However, there are also some scenes which look absolutely incredible. So its ups and downs. On the other hand, the audio is fantastic as I remember.

Haven't seen the final two, but from what I've read, things improved considerably on the video front, so all in all, I'd say it was a worthwhile set to own if you're not interested in the special editions, especially given the trilogy can be found for just over £15 these days.

masonica

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
May have used some overly harsh phrasing but I really did think that the PQ was only a small bit better than an upscaled DVD. Film grain is all over the place, some parts clear others like a low bit-rate avi file. The sound is glorious and does give one's set-up a good workout. I'd say I was quite underwhelmed as I feel that there's no excuse for how unimpressive the PQ is when you compare it to other blu-rays like Blade Runner and Aliens. Films that were given a decent mastering and not just something thrown together in what feels like a quick cash-grab.

manicm

masonica:May have used some overly harsh phrasing but I really did think that the PQ was only a small bit better than an upscaled DVD..

I honestly cannot fathom how you and others come to this conclusion. There must be something seriously wrong in my system - and I don't think so cos other DVDs upscale well, but mine exposes a night and day difference between LOTR Blu-ray and DVD, of which I have both (since given the DVDs away).

In all 3 episodes the DVD gets a royal kicking. I found them unwatchable on my system: Samsung 5 series full HD 37" LCD & Sony BDP-S370.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
id agree.. all 3 theatrical editions are miles ahead of the dvds.. i watched my dvd of the fellowship a couple of weeks prior to the blu-rays arriving and i couldnt believe how bad it looked on on dvd.. there are some soft shots in the fellowhip and its been torn apart in various places on the web.. the second two films do look better.. but i wouldnt let the bad vibes put anyone off buying the first film..

manicm:

masonica:May have used some overly harsh phrasing but I really did think that the PQ was only a small bit better than an upscaled DVD..

I honestly cannot fathom how you and others come to this conclusion. There must be something seriously wrong in my system - and I don't think so cos other DVDs upscale well, but mine exposes a night and day difference between LOTR Blu-ray and DVD, of which I have both (since given the DVDs away).

In all 3 episodes the DVD gets a royal kicking. I found them unwatchable on my system: Samsung 5 series full HD 37" LCD & Sony BDP-S370.

masonica

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The first one has been the focus of most of the criticism and admittedly the blu-ray is better than the dvd (not hugely in my meaningless opinion) The other two have better PQ, in the areas of sharpness and colour. My gripe would be that when you compare the blu-rays to other titles (like the one's mentioned previous) even a nicely restored print of 2001 on blu-ray is far more impressive than what we've gotten handed. As a consumer I want quality product and the room for improvement here is far too evident. For me something that's a bit better just isn't good enough

D

Deleted member 2457

Man the short version is bad enough - beats me why you would want a longer version
smiley-tongue-out.gif

masonica

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I think the first 2 really benefit with the added scenes. Return of the King is still improved but the multiple epilogues are a bit much and the extra footage is a bit much in that scenario. I'll be sure to get these at some stage but am in more of a pickle as to the Star Wars flicks. Original Trilogy only or go for all six?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
gel said:
Man the short version is bad enough - beats me why you would want a longer version
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Someone ought to lock you in a straitjacket and force you to watch all 10 hours in one go, uninterrupted. Then you'll show some appreciation. Or not.
smiley-tongue-out.gif
. I think your sentence was correct, but should have finished at word eight.

D

Deleted member 2457

manicm said:
gel said:
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Someone ought to lock you in a straitjacket and force you to watch all 10 hours in one go, uninterrupted. Then you'll show some appreciation. Or not.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Nah I would only fall asleep, i would stick it in the Wall-E bracket for boredom - sleep.
smiley-wink.gif

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Ive seen LOTR far too many times on DVD. Could never understand why the Witch King ( Is that his name!)/ Gandolf battle was never in the original Trilogy. Did he just 'drop his staff somewhere' in the original!

Fantastic audio during that scene too.DTS-ES mix.

Personally i think these are the best films of the current generation. Great set pieces, story, and scale that has never fully been replicated. No need to watch it all everytime, just you're favourite bits.

Read the Hobbit, great book and much lighter than LOTR. Should make a fantastic film.

manicm

hammill said:
manicm said:
gel said:
smiley-tongue-out.gif

smiley-tongue-out.gif

I'm sure the extended editions extend to at least 10 hours in total. And aren't the standard films nearly 3 hours each?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
hammill said:
manicm said:
gel said:
smiley-tongue-out.gif

smiley-tongue-out.gif

I'm sure the extended editions extend to at least 10 hours in total. And aren't the standard films nearly 3 hours each?

10 and 3/4 hours by my reckoning. I've done the whole lot in one sitting a couple of times. Why would anyone not want the extended versions?

D

Deleted member 2457

Personally i would prefer Harry Potter over Lord Of The Rings, if i had too sit through both. One i do like which i class in this type of movies, is the Narnia movies. I am actually quite looking forward to the third one coming out soon.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Personally i would prefer Harry Potter over Lord Of The Rings, if i had too sit through both. One i do like which i class in this type of movies, is the Narnia movies. I am actually quite looking forward to the third one coming out soon.

Can't really see why Harry Potter or Narnia are even in the same league. :)

TRENDING THREADS