Looking to upgrade desktop speakers & audio questions

Lxium

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my desktop speakers, I'm currently using the Edifier 1600T's. My budget is £250 tops (may be able to stretch a tiny bit), I like the look of the LSR305's but they are too big for my desk as I don't have too much room.

My current set up: Using a Audioengine D1 which is going to be connected into my Xonar DG sound card.

This leads me to my last two questions. If I connect the D1 into the Xonar DG sound card via optical cable will the sound card benefit my audio in any way? Or will the D1 just over ride it and not have any affect.

Also, (this may be a stupid question) should I have my PC sound & speakers set to 100% and then control the volume via my D1 volume knob, or have my D1 set to max volume and control the volume via my PC? I doubt there's much difference but just to clarify.

Lxium

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I should have mentioned in the original post

I listen to a lot of hip hop & drum and bass so something with punchy low ends for the bassline and nice mids for the vocals will be great. I like the idea of having a sub, but due to living arrangements I won't be able to.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend something like Presonus' Eris 5 (GBP 195.90 from Thomann for a pair, including shipping).
http://www.thomann.de/intl/presonus_eris_5.htm Others that I can think about right now are either over-budget (circa GBP 300 for a pair) and/or the size of those JBLs. If you connect your Xonar DG to the D1 via TOSLINK (optical), the digital "feed" will simply go from your soundcard to the D1, which will handle the digital-to-analogue conversion; I am not familiar with that soundcard but I would personally hook the D1 to the computer via USB. Volume-wise, I would simply select the most convenient one for your particular application. Maybe set your D1 to maximum volume, and increase your PC's one until you reach the highest volume at which it would be comfortable to listen to, then leave your PC's volume that way and use the D1's potentiometer to adjust it. EDIT: sorry about the post's formatting, I don't know what's happening lately...

Lxium

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
A friend also recommended the Presonus Eris 5, I'll have to check them out. The only worry with them is that their low end is lacking and I won't get any bass without cranking them up too loud that my parents will complain.

Currently the D1 is hooked up to the PC via USB but my optical cable arrived today for the Xonar DG which I've got installed, would there be any other way to hook them both up together without USB and get a better combined sound?

I've also heard good things about the Yamaha HS50's, anyone have any experience with these?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Smaller speakers have more limited bass, thats the reason anyone buys bigger speakers.

The Eris5 and the Yamaha HS5 (replaced the HS50 about a year and a half ago) are both extremely competent speakers and both have bass adjustment controls to help fit them to your setup. Unless you like boom and woofle, 5 inch units like these are as big and have as much bass as you can realistically expect given that they are not going to be properly stand mounted.

Your soundcard and digital cable are superfluous, the usb > D1 connection is the best available in your setup.

As for volume controls, it all depends on where you prefer to make the adjustments. Using the D1 is probably the best solution if that is convenient.

Set volume on your PC to maximum, check both player and system level controls. Turn the volume on the D1 to half way, with the level controls on the rear of the speakers at minimum. Turn the speaker controls up until you get a decent, reasonably loud listening level, leave the speaker level controls where they are and use the D1 to adjust for normal listening.

Lxium

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Cheers for the informative reply, the HS50's were also recommended to me so I'll have another look into those. The Xonar I'll just stick back under my bed but as for the D1 will optical or usb make much difference? USB Will be more convenient in the sense that I don't need to stick it into the wall plug, it's powered from the PC.

Now what else can I find to improve audio quality....the search will never end

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Lxium said:
Cheers for the informative reply, the HS50's were also recommended to me so I'll have another look into those. The Xonar I'll just stick back under my bed but as for the D1 will optical or usb make much difference? USB Will be more convenient in the sense that I don't need to stick it into the wall plug, it's powered from the PC.

Now what else can I find to improve audio quality....the search will never end

To repeat my earlier post.

The HS50s are the old model, HS5s are better, buy the new ones.

The usb interface is the best for all kinds of reasons, in the D1 it is asyncronous which means the data stream is controlled by the clock in the D1, which is a good thing.

The D1 will probably sound better with an external psu but this is awkward to impliment as it uses the same socket for power and signal. In any case using usb will be better than toslink , even if powered off the computer.

If you go down this route the biggest improvement you can implement next will be the speaker set up and placement, Ideally on proper stands. Experiment with this when you can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts