Looking to upgrade a 1989 system

Ragodin

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Hello
Firstly thanks for letting me join your community
OK I am looking to upgrade to obtain better sound, if possible, from my existing system.
I have upgraded the speakers recently to Klipsch RP600M, so they are not included
I have a Sony 450ESD Amplifier, Sony radio receiver, Lidl CD Player and a Trio record deck.
I listen to mainly classical music.
I have been looking at the Yamaha RN803D, Advance i-x75, Audiolabs 6000a, Marantz pm6006 and several others.
My budget does not allow an expenditure running into the £1000, 1000€.
I subscribed to this forum as a reasonably independent place and not driven by wanting to make sales.
Any help gratefully received

Hello
OK I am looking to upgrade to obtain better sound, if possible, from my existing system.
I have upgraded the speakers recently to Klipsch RP600M, so they are not included
I have a Sony 450ESD Amplifier, Sony radio receiver, Lidl CD Player and a Trio record deck.
I have been looking at the Yamaha RN803D, Advance i-x75, Audiolabs 6000a, Marantz pm6006 and several others.
I subscribed to this forum as a reasonably independent place and not driven by wanting to make sales.
Welcome to the forum.
You say you listen to classical music, in what format?
Is it mainly vinyl or CD because, either way, it is the source you need to upgrade.
What is your budget exactly?

rainsoothe

Hello
Do you like the Klipsch? And how long have you had them?

Both CD, Vinyl, radio, some old cassettes and streaming. Increasingly streaming
Budget is around 800€
Ok, tricky as I would still say keep the amp. However I don't think your budget will be enough to upgrade all three sources.
How do you play cassettes? You don't mention any player on your list.
I would say you might have to prioritise your main two sources and concentrate on upgrading those

Ragodin

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi
I've had the Klipsch for three weeks. I like them they have a more brilliant tone than my original speakers which I made 20 years ago; which are a floor standing horn design made in 19mm MDF board and use Audax speakers.
The tape is a Sony RX60 bought at the same time as the amp

Last edited:

rainsoothe

Hi
I've had the Klipsch for three weeks. I like them they have a more brilliant tone than my original speakers which I made 20 years ago; which are a floor standing horn design made in 19mm MDF board and use Audax speakers.
The tape is a Sony RX60 bought at the same time as the amp
I agree with @Al ears that it's a tight budget to upgrade 3 sources and amp all in one go (and add a streamer to boot!). And I'm not sure something like a Denon M41 would be a good match for the Klipsch, but you could audition one if you want (I think it does CD and radio, besides amplification.

I do, however, think that them Klipsches can benefit from something like an Atoll In 30 amplifier, which should be a better match than the amps you listed.

For tt, look at Audio Technica LP3, which has a really decent (and by-passable) phonostage.

For streaming duties, Google Chromecast Audio (discontinued, but they can still be found) is untouchable (I was about to say "for the price, but there isn't any other product at it's price). I think you can also use the Chromecast to stream internet radio, and since most major radio stations also broadcast via internet, you might actually be able to get rid of the FM tuner.

All the above should leave you with enough to budget for a Sony BD S3700 blu-ray player, which has a coaxial output, which you could run through a Topping E30 DAC (which has 1 coaxial, 1 optical and 1 USB input). Alternatively, you could try to save up a bit for a Marantz CD5005 CD player.

Sorry if this is above your budget, I'm approximating from the top of my head. But it's hard or even impossible to recommend 1 solution to cover all (or most) your bases, since you have a lot of sources.

If you don't trust the Atoll recommendation, you could look into Marantz or Rega, although I'm almost sure the Rega Io doesn't have enough inputs for you. Of course feel free to audition Yamaha and stuff, but imo Yamaha would be horrible with Klipsch (but who knows, you might love it).

Ragodin

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your advice
I now have lots to think about
I was thinking of just upgrading one of the components, now, then considering hat to do next afterwards
I have heard the Atoll connected to Davis speakers and it provided a good clear sound stage. It was better than the advance x-i75 that I listened to at the same time.
When I make a decision and have time to test it I will come back and report.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Both CD, Vinyl, radio, some old cassettes and streaming. Increasingly streaming
Budget is around 800€

The Denon DCD-800NE covers both streaming and CD playback duties for €309 brand new!!

You could pick up a brand new Rega Planar 1 for around €299 if you shop around.

Good second hand cassette decks from Technics, Marantz, Denon, Sony and Yamaha can go for under €100

Ragodin

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Thanks once again for the advice.
There seems to have been a misunderstanding about the budget.
I had intended to spend 800€ on a new amplifier not to replace the whole system.
However if it is thought best not to replace the amplifier first then part of the budget could be used to replace other components and leave the amplifier until another year.
Also the existing amplifier Sony 450 ESD has a DAC (optical and coax) and phono inputs.

Reactions: Al ears
Thanks once again for the advice.
There seems to have been a misunderstanding about the budget.
I had intended to spend 800€ on a new amplifier not to replace the whole system.
However if it is thought best not to replace the amplifier first then part of the budget could be used to replace other components and leave the amplifier until another year.
Also the existing amplifier Sony 450 ESD has a DAC (optical and coax) and phono inputs.
Glad you clarified that, eventually.... :)

D

Deleted member 116933

@Ragodin Welcome, for the klipsch and as you won't need a great deal of power as there super sensitive i dont think you would go far wrong Marantz or Yamaha as they have a nice rich tone to them to counter the more forward nature the of Klipsch.

I think I would also be inclined to look second hand as well to get more bang for your buck, I think a good amp to hunt down would be a Marantz PM7200, with its 100% class-A mode engaged would sound magical with the Klipsch, not really any products like that on the market at sensible prices these days. But this amp can still rock out if you want it to. Put it back into A-B mode and it will do 95 watts a channel, into those sensitive Klipsch it would rock your world. Also has a lovely phono stage on board

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragodin

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
I followed the advice of Millenia-one and today received Marantz PM7200 amp, that I bought second hand off ebay uk.
I have had a chance to compare with my original Sony 450 ESD and have the following comments
  1. It is slightly crisper
  2. Very slight improvement in sound stage
  3. Doesn't have optical or coaxial inputs (DAC), which my Sony did.
  4. It gets very hot
Thank you once again for all your advice, really appreciated.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

Since I posted I had read that this was the cause over the heat.
Thanks for your help

It won't be a problem as long as you keep it in free air as much as possible

Glad your enjoying it

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts