Looking to get my first TT and this one is in my local area...

Js9384

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

In my local area there is a Roksan Xerxes for sale and I'm thinking about picking it up. I originally wanted a Pink Triangle or Townshend Elite Rock however I haven't had any come up even remotely near me in the months that I've been looking so I might just buy this TT as I know it's meant to be a really good one anyway. I'm just wondering how good it will be with the music I listen to and what arm/cartridge would suit this music:

I primarily listen to metal and rock and pretty much every sub genre of both. I heard the Roksan is good for rock music so I guess it should be good for metal as well. The TT doesn't include an arm or cartridge so does anyone know of a good combo that would suit distorted music? Thanks

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
The roksan will suit your music choice well. Kit it out with a rega rb 300, and goldring or nagoaka cart.

Check the deck very well, the early ones suffered plinth sag, or some did, and the powersupplies suffered a few problems, so make sure this one is ok.

Js9384

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I did a little bit of research and some people recommended a Stanton 500 or V15-AT cart and they are quite cheap (still need to get a phono stage and pre-amp) but I will look up the ones you just mentioned. There also seems to a debate with the RB-300 vs RB-250 but I'm sure I'll end up with one of those arms.

Js9384

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Just did some more research and the Shure M97xE looks to be a good cart for a relatively cheap price but does it work well with an RB-250 or 300?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
It's a seriously good deck but as the previous poster mentioned, look out for plinth sag, it's not such a big problem nowadays as i believe there is a kit available to cure this but you may have to do a search to confirm this, vinyl engine is a great source for all things Roksan.

I had the Xerses with an RB 300 and a chorus black cartridge, a Goldring 1042 really, but a lovely combination, it was the only deck that kept me up into the small hours, it was that good, at present i have a Rega RP3 with a shure M97X, i will not use another cartridge for a while after this, it divides opinions but i find it great on the rega arm and a breeze to set up so that with a RB 250 or RB 300 should sound very nice, as for the differences between the 2 arm's i dont feel there isn't much difference in stock form but i have read that the 250 reaches new heights with a rewire and a few mods, i.e underslung counterweight and foam filling but then you might as well get a better arm, you could try sourcing a Roksan Tabriz but they seem to be getting rare to find but any of the Rega arms mentioned will do sterling work on that deck, they actually seem to be a match made in heaven. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
That is quite a turntable for a first one ... .

Personally I think you are wasting money on it if you plan to use the Shure (Unless the roksan is a bargain you can't refuse). I have the Shure and whilst it is good for the money, it is somewhat rolled off at both frequency extemes. Even with different loading it sounds slightly subdued higher up with so so detail in the middle.

I think you probably need to aim a little higher, depending on the balance of the rest of your system or get a decent but cheaper turntable which will be more appropriate for the cartridge mentioned.

regards

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i don't hear this as you do drummerman, i think it's a great cartridge and works well with the Rega arm but a better cartridge will resolve more subtle details, hence the mention of the Roksan and Goldring cartridges but not a waste of money. A good deck and arm combination will not hinder a cartridge unless it's a total mismatch, which i dont think the Shure wold be, i would rather have a Roksan, Rega arm and Shure cartridge than say a Rega RP1 and a 2m Bronze.

Js9384

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello again and thanks for the help guys

I did pick up the Roksan and I'm currently on the look out for an arm and cart (not sure which yet and I will probably need to mount a plate to fit the arm) . I didn't notice any plinth sag but I have no idea what the guy that previously owned it did with it as I bought it from a local hi-fi store. Here are some pics:

http://imgur.com/a/zHYrS

It's the original PSU so there could be some problems sooner rather than later and I know this TT is probably gonna need a fair bit of work. Does anyone have any more advice? (preferably someone who has owned the Xerxes before) Oh and what kind of mat would you recommend? I read that the latest Roksan one is better suited for the Xerxes 20+ and I can't seem to find the original online.

Here is the gear that I already have to use with it:

Musical Fidelity X-A50 power amps (will need to get the phono stage and pre amp to use these)

Technics SB-CS9 speakers

Technics SU-V670 integrated amp

Speaker stands

TT Wall mount

Audio rack

Thank you

You Xerxes has an armboard cut for an SME arm.

Suggest you, as a minimum, get a new belt drive and try the Origin Live platter mat.

A service by a reputable dealer might not go amiss and the power supply can be serviced or replaced.

Enjoy!

Js9384

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I will get the Origin mat and the Roksan Oil + I do have some spare belts. Do you know where I can get an armboard bracket so I can use a Rega arm?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts