Looking to buy an iPod shortly, but slightly confused.. Which one should i get??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking in terms of storage here, so nothing below the 120/160GB ones, price doesn't concern me either, however one thing does...

I was thinking of the 160GB for obvious reasons, but can't for the life of me figure out why in this day and age of progression and increased size storage devices, why apple have taken a step back in size with a new release in the form of the 120GB???

Am i being stupid or is there some real reason for taking a backward step? How does it differ from the 160GB?

I hear a lot of talk about lossless/high quality ripping from cd's etc, however most of my collection is "downloaded" in usually 128k format both to my HD and CDR's... Will this cause problems when ripping as i'd rather have great sound quality over quantity of tracks? Will it still allow me to choose the bitrate from copied cd's and HD files if they are of lesser quality to begin with??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you understand the logic of Apple's marketing machine, you could become a very rich person.

But no, if the download is 128K, that's as good as you're going to get when copying it to another device.

A

Anonymous

They dropped the 160GB as less people were buying it (compared to sales of the 80GB). Maybe it was the price, maybe the extra thickness, or maybe fewer people thought they needed 160GB.

Seems like a simple business decision to drop a product that wasn't selling well.

If you need 160GB then there still around, but get one soon. You won't get the new genius function though (which I actually really like).

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Col.:maybe the extra thickness Call me shallow, but that was what did it for me - 80gig wasn't enough but the 160gig just was too hefty..........

That's pretty much what Steve Jobs said when they annouced it a few months ago, no one bought the think one, so they dropped it and increased the capacirty of the thin one.

Highway

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
I bought the 160gb model before they left the shelves (and at a reduced price). My collection is never going to fit any portable device at current storage levels, but at least the 160gb gives me just that bit more space.

I don't think about the thickness too much as it is either in my pocket, on my desk or docked.

Personally, I believe that Apple is looking more towards silicon storage for future ipods, think Touch. I'm guessing that at the next Apple iPod refresh show the Touch will hit the 64gb mark, that is when I might just be interested.

I'm loving the 160gb, but find the O/S a tad slow. But that's all. The battery lifeÿseemsÿto be pretty good too.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS