Looking to buy 1st blu-ray player - should it be 3D?

cjms10

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I am a complete novice when it comes to blu-ray and need help choosing the right spec of unit.

I currently have a DVD player (as part of my home cinema system), a DVD Recorder and a Sky+ HD box for my non-3D TV.

I am now looking to buy a blu-ray player but I am not sure if it should be a 3D player when I don't have a 3D TV?

Is there a future for 3D, so I should get a 3D player?

Any help or advice would be welcome

Thankx

cjms10

D

Deleted member 2457

cjms10 said:
I am a complete novice when it comes to blu-ray and need help choosing the right spec of unit.

I currently have a DVD player (as part of my home cinema system), a DVD Recorder and a Sky+ HD box for my non-3D TV.

I am now looking to buy a blu-ray player but I am not sure if it should be a 3D player when I don't have a 3D TV?

Is there a future for 3D, so I should get a 3D player?

Any help or advice would be welcome

Thankx

cjms10

Most of the very best ones come with 3D built in. I have just purchased a 3D one but have no intention of using 3D but I suppose like it there as an option. So you could always buy one and just see how it goes and then in future if you get a chance to use it at least you have the choice. That is what I would do.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
I think most new players are 3D ready now anyway, the good thing is if you decide to upgrade the Tv most of them are 3D ready as well so at least you can use it if you wish, if 3D is not your cup of tea does not matter, I have to say though I felt the same towards 3D but I love it now. Dont worry about wheather the player is 3D to much just determine what extras you want, ie online and smart features, theres a good choice out there so do some research read a couple of reviews and enjoy, and you dont have to spend silly money either..... 8)

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Gel you really should check out a 3d film when you can, the panasonic GT-50 really does shine with 3D, and it wont cost you an arm and leg to watch it just get some glasses..... 8) I am pretty sure you will like it.

D

Deleted member 2457

pioneer7 said:
Gel you really should check out a 3d film when you can, the panasonic GT-50 really does shine with 3D, and it wont cost you an arm and leg to watch it just get some glasses..... 8) I am pretty sure you will like it.

Yep, I am pretty sure you are right. I have been getting more and more tempted.
smiley-smile.gif

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
pioneer7 said:

Yep, I am pretty sure you are right. I have been getting more and more tempted.
smiley-smile.gif

I have a Panny 3d tv (GT30) and Blu Ray player (500) and personally I would say don't worry about 3d. It has a certain wow factor at first but then reality kicks in and you see its shortcomings.

I appreciate it is a personal thing but 1.) It cost me extra for the glasses 2.) It slightly strains my eyes (and I have good eyesight / wear no glasses) 3.) My wife who has fairly poor eye sight and wears contact lenses cant cope with it due to eye strain 4.) Kids loved it at first and now prefer to watch 2d version 4.) Due to the nature of basically wearing fancy sun glasses, it takes away the colours that a movie deserves - it is all a bit dimmed out, 5.) I look stupid wearing the glasses.

I am not anti 3d - it can be great on a massive imax screen but I really wouldnt let it be a decisive factor. It's quite alot of hype for not much.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Looking to buy 1st blu-ray player - should it be 3D?

Lots of them are 3D...... get one as loads of the 3D content is superb ! (only a few are not).

I never bought my own TV for 3D.... IT was an extra...... but brilliant with the right movies.... all the family like it bar our 21 yr old woh says he doesn't really like it.... but he's weird ... at times :)

The other five in the family quite love it tbh :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You'll be hard pushed to find a Blu-ray player that isn't equipped for 3D. If you're spending more than £50 you'll find 3D functionality included as standard.

In other words, don't worry about it.

T

theflyingwasp

I really don't see the problem with 3d I've been watching 3d movies for over a year and a half ,yes there's good and bad ,I wear glasses and I watched jack and the giant slayer ,g.i joe retaliation and dread back to back in the pitch black with no eye fatigue .i had the Panasonic 50 gt50 now I have the Panasonic 60 zt65 and it is still to be calibrated and the 3d is awesome I just watched top gun in 3d on Monday and really enjoyed it.

to answer your question tho if your tv can't play 3d movies .you can pick up a decent blu ray for £100 the fact of the matter is there really isn't any real bad blu ray players out there even the cheapest will be better than any DVD player .once you get a taste of blu ray you'll find it hard to go back to DVD.saying that I have the oppo 103 and it does make DVDs look pretty good

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
I really don't see the problem with 3d I've been watching 3d movies for over a year and a half ,yes there's good and bad ,I wear glasses and I watched jack and the giant slayer ,g.i joe retaliation and dread back to back in the pitch black with no eye fatigue .i had the Panasonic 50 gt50 now I have the Panasonic 60 zt65 and it is still to be calibrated and the 3d is awesome I just watched top gun in 3d on Monday and really enjoyed it.

to answer your question tho if your tv can't play 3d movies .you can pick up a decent blu ray for £100 the fact of the matter is there really isn't any real bad blu ray players out there even the cheapest will be better than any DVD player .once you get a taste of blu ray you'll find it hard to go back to DVD.saying that I have the oppo 103 and it does make DVDs look pretty good

Hi

What is the difference like between the GT50 and the ZT65?

D

Deleted member 2457

pioneer7 said:
:? Ithink you know the answer to that one gel.....

Yep, I probably do.
smiley-smile.gif
Just wanted to know whether he thought the difference was big. At times I wonder what the difference is like. I have seen the VT65 and it looked brighter and darker, which was good. But I still think the GT50 is a great TV and sometimes wonder how much better can it really get? I suppose all the normal upgrade thoughts.

manicm said:
You don't mention what TV you have? Forget 3D, look for 4k upscaling in a player.

I'm not sure of the advantages of 4K upscaling in a blu ray player. Blu ray discs will never be 4K in current form. Next generation blu ray discs, if at all they come, will not be playable by current blu ray players.

T

theflyingwasp

Hi there gel .i had the gt50 from feb 2012 to June 2013 I gave it to my parents as they were still using a six year old Samsung hd ready tv lol .there is a massive difference my friend cost aside for a second .the first movies I watched were avatar,Prometheus,skyfall and the dark knight rises .the picture was quite simply stunning out of the box.the IMAX scenes in rises brings a tear to the eye lol AND I haven't had it calibrated yet ,I'm getting it done at some point this month .im using David katzmeier zt65 settings from c- net just now

the gt50 was and still is a great plasma but after a few mins with this thing I knew I'd made the right choice ,I was 50/50 as the reviews for the vt65 were almost identical .but this will probably be my last tv until the 4k with hopefully some decent content come down in price

its a good feeling knowing yes I can go bigger with screen size but I can't go better.

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
Hi there gel .i had the gt50 from feb 2012 to June 2013 I gave it to my parents as they were still using a six year old Samsung hd ready tv lol .there is a massive difference my friend cost aside for a second .the first movies I watched were avatar,Prometheus,skyfall and the dark knight rises .the picture was quite simply stunning out of the box.the IMAX scenes in rises brings a tear to the eye lol AND I haven't had it calibrated yet ,I'm getting it done at some point this month .im using David katzmeier zt65 settings from c- net just now

the gt50 was and still is a great plasma but after a few mins with this thing I knew I'd made the right choice ,I was 50/50 as the reviews for the vt65 were almost identical .but this will probably be my last tv until the 4k with hopefully some decent content come down in price

its a good feeling knowing yes I can go bigger with screen size but I can't go better.

Ah thanks for the feedback.
smiley-smile.gif
I keep thinking at the moment should I buy the VT65? One minute I am definitely yes, then I think I am happy with the GT50. Cheers.

T

theflyingwasp

One thing I will say tho is,I thought going from 50 to 60 inches would be dramatic but after a couple of day it doesn't look any bigger to me than the 50inch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts