admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am running the following

Marantz PM66SE Amp

Yamaha CDX 496

Cambridge DAB

JBL Control Professionals 150w speakers

I am a bit green when it comes to this as I have been out of the seperates market for years, all of the gear is mint condition runs A1 the JBLs are new.

I play a lot of rock and metal and the Bass just seem a tiny bit weak for my tastes on the CD not much it needs a bit of a nudge.

I am looking for some tips to give it a lift please, nothing that requires soldering etc, would a Graphic Eq do the trick or do I need another approach to this issue.

Thanks

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
A sub would be a better idea, the JBL's have a frequency ranging from 80hz (bass) to 20khz (treble). Just to put it in perspective the lowest piano scale is around 30Hz . No equaliser can make up that difference if the speaker cant handle it. A sub could work those out of reach frequencies and give the sound a more solid "feel".

Alternatively change the speakers.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Shooter69 so if I am understading you correctly the Hz (bass) needs to be lower on the speaker to give it that bass edge ?

Another thing I have been reading up since taking seperates a little more serious than chucking any old thing together is the ohms, the Marantz PM-66SE Amp is 8 - 16 ohms I think.

I found some 8ohms speakers in the loft last night put them on and this has improved the sound no end.

I am curious to know about all this ohms dos and donts if anyone can help please.

Marantz PM-66SE Amp is 8 - 16 ohms

Could I then run the 8 ohms speakers I added last night and then add the JBL control 1 pro 150w 4ohms speakers on as well without causing any issues, effectivly using the 2 channel amp to drive 4 sets of speakers.

This stuff is outside my knowledge so any tips would be great, not to techy in responses if possible please.

Cherrs and thanks

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Running two pairs of different speakers from a 2 channel amp is a bad idea. The sound will be all over the place.

If you want bass, try to find a sub in your budget that has high level (also called speaker level) inputs. This will allow you to connect it to your amp.

Subs are good because you can alter the level and crossover frequency independently of your hi-fi.

I added a sub to my hifi and it sounds great. Much improved levels of punch and power.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The basic problem is that the speakers haven't enough bass extension to reproduce bass notes effectively: the JBL Control 1 Pro speakers only go down to about 100Hz, so as has already been said really need to be used with a subwoofer.

I suspect the reason the loft speakers sound better is that they have better bass extension.

I wouldn't run both sets of speakers simultaneously on the Marantz, as a) it will sound confused and b) together they will present a load the amplifier will struggle to drive.

Ohms? In very simple terms, the lower the impedance, the more power the speakers suck out of the amplifier, and thus the harder they are for the amplifier to drive and control.

With speakers of too low an impedance, power will flow out of the amp faster than the power supplies can replenish it, and in extreme circumstances this can cause the amplifier to clip - literally lop off the peaks of the audio waveform - and thus damage the speakers (usually it's the tweeter that goes first), or if you're lucky, trigger its protection circuitry and shut down.

An active subwoofer is the obvious answer: it'll fill in the bass, and can be connected in parallel with the main speakers without causing impedance problems.

A

Anonymous

many thanks Big Chris & Andrew, any hints on what Subs please I am happy to look at the snd hand market, all the stuff has come from there and I have been lucky to get mint condition kit.

I am not sure what kind of budget to expect for Sub but would £120 be a starting point for used or even new, willing to top up if something new is close to this.

Many thanks

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
the other advantage of a sub is that you can turn it down, or off, for late night listening or at any time when you don't want to annoy the neighbours.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
snaffler:I am not sure what kind of budget to expect for Sub but would £120 be a starting point for used or even new, willing to top up if something new is close to this.

You can find the Wharfedale SW150 for around the £150 mark.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
snaffler:

many thanks Big Chris & Andrew, any hints on what Subs please I am happy to look at the snd hand market, all the stuff has come from there and I have been lucky to get mint condition kit.

I am not sure what kind of budget to expect for Sub but would £120 be a starting point for used or even new, willing to top up if something new is close to this.

Many thanks

For that kind of money, I think you'll be better off looking for used stuff.

Check out the reviews in the - wait for it - reviews section.
emotion-2.gif

This'll give you an idea of which subs may be available for your budget. Then get on eBay and Gumtree and do some searching. Just remember you're gonna be looking for an active sub with high level/speaker level connections. A passive sub, such as those supplied with all-in-one home cinema systems, will not work.

EDIT: Here's one within budget, free P&P and even a choice of finish.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wharfedale-MS65-100w-Subwoofer-Black-Maple-Sale-Sale-/400190352735?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item5d2d342d5f

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts